Mamallapuram Travel Answers

change location

Mahabalipuram beach

by lentaz Online Now Oct 14, 2008 at 4:06 AM

Hi friends
has anybody been in Mahabalipuram in September Oktober 2008 sombody said the water on the beach is comming very high and now in Oktober the water is gooing back
is this like that
does anybody know the reaon
thanks
Lentas

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • HansDK's Profile Photo

Re: Mahabalipuram beach

by HansDK Online Now Oct 14, 2008 at 4:12 AM

Probably the southwest monsoon.

I have the same happen in Sri Lanka during monsoon season.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • vpas's Profile Photo

by vpas Online Now Oct 14, 2008 at 6:04 AM

The tides are not so inconsistent in mahabalipuram.you can visit in october.should not be a problem.
    vpas

• Re: Mahabalipuram beach

by lentaz Online Now Oct 14, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Hallo Vpas
    thanks for the answer but what is going on there I never saw such a small beach in september on pictures because I was there a lot of times do you know more
    Greetings
    lentas

• vpas's Profile Photo

by vpas Online Now Oct 15, 2008 at 7:55 AM

did not understand your question.did you go there or saw the pictures?mahabalipuram has shore temples and other interesting ancient rock sculptures and monuments.It is very intereting.I have visited the place many times as a child and have taken my family in the recent past.
    Get back to me as to what you actually want to know.Perhaps i can answer.
    Vpas

• Re: Mahabalipuram beach

by lentaz Online Now Oct 15, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Hallo Vpas
    My friend has a guesthouse on the north side beach of the temple. Now in August and September the water comes very close to the guesthouses. Some erosion has happened. Now in beginning of October there is a beach like 2o m again. But this was not before in the last years. No body knows what has happened. So I want to ask people who know the place what they think about or know.
    greetings
    Lentas

• vpas's Profile Photo

by vpas Online Now Oct 16, 2008 at 7:19 AM

Hi Lentas,
    Sorry I don't know about this recent phenomenon.But I do know that the archeological department is trying to save the shore temple by piling huge rocks to save the sea from submerging the temple.It is believed that there were seven such temples in the past and they submerged into the sea in course of time.
    Apart from the shore temple,you could also visit other temples and caves which are interesting.There is also a sculpture college and artists all over working on sculptures.It is a good place to shop for soveniers.
    there is also a light house.there are resorts,but not very great.on the way to mahabalipuram from the city of chennai,you would find many beaches which are not at all crowded.There is also a very beautiful ancient temple called Varahaswamy temple/nithya kalyanaswami temple in Thiruporur.It is amidst simple,but beautiful surroundings and is one of my favourite temples.
    There is also a crocodile bank/park on the way and you get to see hundreds of crocodiles and alligators.You can also feed them if you ask in advance aboout this package.You can find this on the net if you google search,crocodile bank,near chennai.
    Hope this helps,
    Vpas

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines