Mamallapuram Travel Answers

change location
thelittlevoice's Profile Photo

bus?

by thelittlevoice Online Now Feb 6, 2004 at 4:07 AM

is there any bus from madras to mamallapuram? how is the condition of the bus? thanks.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • joks's Profile Photo

Re: bus?

by joks Online Now Feb 6, 2004 at 4:42 AM

Hey...the little voice:) there are many public buses that go that way...I would think it is 2 departures per hour. The public buses in India are very cheap and conditions are very Indian. I can't describe it in a positive way but neither can I in a negative, but it is an ultimate Indian experience (maybe not for such a short trip..) Or the taxi or rickshaw is pretty alright too. joks

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • YATIN's Profile Photo

by YATIN Online Now Feb 6, 2004 at 8:50 AM

Hello Friend, By Bus: From Chennai, private buses leave from Parry’s corner (next to the High court Building) at the intersection of NSC Bose Road and Popham’s Broadway. State buses to Mamallapuram leave from Broadway station. See the table below for some of the TTC/RGTC bus services from Chennai. The State bus stand is on the other side of Prakasam Road. This terminal is in total chaos and nothing is in English but an army of boys attach themselves to every foreigner, and for a couple of rupees they will find your bus. The main reason to use this stand is for buses to Mamallapuram (Rs.10 two hours). There are a number of services, the most direct being No.188 and 188A/B/D/K (20 times daily). The other Mamallapuram service are Nos.19A, 19C, 119A (Via Covelong, 21 times daily) and 108B (Via Chennai airport and Chengalpattu, four times daily). Enjoy your trip Yatin

• radz's Profile Photo

by radz Online Now Feb 6, 2004 at 9:15 PM

Yes,it well connected by Bus,Bus condition are fairly good.TamilNadu Bus are good comparing other states in India :). Its 1 hr drive from Chennai.New east coast toll road makes comfortable trip to Mamallapuram. yatin: are you sure the bus starts from BRoadway? Now the state transport bus stand shifted to Koyambedu,many bus shuttles between new busstand to city. radz

• joks's Profile Photo

Re: Re: bus?

by joks Online Now Feb 8, 2004 at 6:26 AM

The public bus no longer runs from broadway yes...i think it only run from koyambedu now, which is a pain to get to when you are in egmore or triplicane.

• A4ASHWIN's Profile Photo

by A4ASHWIN Online Now Mar 20, 2004 at 4:12 AM

Hi There, Well, if you want to capture the essence on any place, the best way to travel would be the way locals do, which is a govt. bus. I am sure it will be an experience. But you gottcha understand, this pleasure is a mixed bag and you may have to confront some nasty things like touts,conmen and folks with dubios distinction (this ain't no discovery ne way ;-) ) If you are all by yourself, I would recommend you to get in touch with some tour operators (i will try and figure out some). These folks would take you to Mahabs (this is the way refer to Mahabalipuram) , they may even have an A/C bus with push back seats etc. They may also have guides who will be able to give you lot of information. Have FUN !!! Mahabs is quite a place. Adios, Ashwin

• squashedfaerie's Profile Photo

by squashedfaerie Online Now May 13, 2007 at 7:45 AM

you will easily be able to get a bus, takes about an hour. its not exactly luxurious (!) but the east coast road is smooth, and it is not an uncomfortable journey. I stayed in Mamallapuram for 3 weeks and had to go to chennai loads to the hospital as my brother nearly sliced his finger off... haha (he's fine now!)
    Jane x

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines