Malta Travel Answers

change location

Broke abroad

by Glomdalen Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Hi. This is pretty awkward to admit, but I have managed to go broke at Malta. I`m on vacation here,and staying at my hotel until the 26th. I have no money left, including no air ticket or food/drinks etc. I get payed on the 30th, and will then be able to pay for everything. But what canI do until then? Is there any pawn shops located in Malta? The closer to Sliema the better. Anywhere a foreigner can get a loan,given he can give something in security? I`m from norway,so I got a norwegian passport,which im ready to put up for security if possible. Appriciate any suggestion!

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Re: Broke abroad

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Any chance you could get a job there? You might even be able to work a deal at a hotel or hostel to work for room and board. Just a thought. Good luck.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • margsch's Profile Photo

by margsch Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 12:04 PM

could you ring your family and somehow get some funds to get you home? M If you have no money for another 11 days this is crisis stuff. If there is such a thing as the Salvation Army I,m sure they could help out with food.

• Re: Broke abroad

by Kuskiwi Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 12:31 PM

No point in telling you how stupid you have been - you are already aware of that. Can you get a family member or your work to Western Union you sufficient funds to at least fed yourself and pay your hotel account. Very few places will allow a client to leave without paying the account. Throwing yourself on the mercy of the embassy is probably the best way to go and while they may rescue you temporarily they are unlikely to be very sympathetic.

• tayloretc's Profile Photo

by tayloretc Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I managed to go broke while travelling once (actually, I was robbed, no money at all until the next pay check, two weeks away). First, I arranged to stay at the hotel until the problem was sorted out; second, I sold a couple of things to pay for food, and ate very, very simply, cooking in the hotel kitchen.

Probably the best advice is to be honest about the situation, including "I was an idiot" and "I've learned my lesson." Try your family/close friends first, even if it's embarrassing. If you've been a good, responsible guest at a decent hotel, the hotel manager might be willing to help you out, perhaps by adding a small cash advance to the final bill. Expect to give them your passport, credit card, or something else (camera, laptop) as collateral. You might also be able to do something like wash dishes in exchange for a meal. Your ticket will have to wait for the paycheck.

In the meantime, beaches are free, and there are bound to be people around to talk to to while away the time. Oh, and if you have any skills to sell - drawing, magic tricks - that's much more appealing than just asking for money. I've bought a magic trick before.

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Everyone in Malta speaks English - why not just ask people on the street if there is a pawn shop? I am not convinced, but it would be more creditable if you filled out more on your profile - there is nothing there, only joined - yesterday!! HUH? It seems to be me that any honest person would think first of the consulate - they do loans in emergencies (although this one seems to be of your own making if you are for real) - and surely have friends or family to loan money for a short time and to be sent Western Union, which arrives in about five minutes, with offices everywhere. Or if that pay check really exists, could not your employer send an advance? HUH HUH HUH???

by Glomdalen Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Thanks for suggestions! Contacting the embassy is not really a option at the moment, but I will look into that if everything else fails. Thanks for the Western Union tip too, will contact some mates and see if they can help me out. And yes, I have learned my lesson...

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Good luck.

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Quite obviously you have access to the internet and i am sure you must have some good friends or family in Norway so i would have emailed them first before posting on the forum. If you are such a nice guy surely one of them would be willing to lend you the money by transferring it to Malta--Western Union--good idea as previously stated.

• margsch's Profile Photo

by margsch Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 6:21 AM

if you do internet banking then someone can deposit funds into your account

1 member found this helpful

by Kuskiwi Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Sometimes internet funds require time to clear. Western Union, despite the costs is almost instant.

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Malta Travel Answer Locations