Malibu Travel Answers

change location
CordyM's Profile Photo

One day in Malibu - March 24th

by CordyM Online Now Mar 11, 2012 at 5:41 PM

We are thinking of heading to Malibu for the afternoon, then back to Toulca Lake that evening. Where is the best place for a walk/hike (short type) to get the best views of Malibu? What is the best beach? We are a family of 4 - with 2 kids are 10&13. Is it worth to see Getty Villa or the Adamson House? Malibu Lagoon State Park? Malibu Creek Park? Westward Beach? Augh! So much to choose from.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • lmkluque's Profile Photo

Re: One day in Malibu - March 24th

by lmkluque Online Now Mar 12, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I haven't been to Malibu for a long time so can't help with most of your questions. I'm just responding to the question about the Getty Villa.

I've been there several times and like it very much. It is pretty small compared to The Getty Center, but interesting with lovely views. Still, I think children, the ages of yours, might not really appreciate it unless you give them a bit of prior information and connect it with something that might inspire them.

The displays are mainly ancient so linking the artifacts with the idea of Indiana Jones, as an archaeologist, might work. You'd have to do a bit of research for a couple of back-stories about the collection, I would think.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Roadquill's Profile Photo

by Roadquill Online Now Mar 12, 2012 at 1:28 PM

The Getty Villa is a treat, with interesting gardens and pools. They do have family programs. Check the official site (www.getty.edu) as officially they require advance free ticket purchases (although parking is expensive at15). As to the Adamson House, you can usually find free parking on PCH, but there is a pay lot at Cross Creek. Some people park in the shopping center at Cross Creek and then walk across. The Malibu Pier and Lagoon is right there, so three places for the price of one stop. You can get a great view of Malibu by going another half mile to Pepperdine, making a right on Malibu Canyon Road and going another 1/2 mile or so and there is a turnout with a great view of the center of Malibu. The best family sandy beach (but the water will be cold) is Zuma, 7 miles West (North) of Pepperdine. If you want some tide pools and cool rock formations on the beach head another mile up to the second Broadbeach turn, find a place to park and go through the access gate. Once to the beach, head West (North) up the beach. (note in March you should be able to easily find places to park on PCH so you shouldn't need to pay for any parking) Enjoy, Karl in Malibu...

1 member found this helpful

• CordyM's Profile Photo

by CordyM Online Now Mar 18, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Thank you so much for the information. Right now it is warmer in the Midwest than on the West Coast, so I am hoping for it to warm up by next week.

• 7th-Son's Profile Photo

by 7th-Son Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Agree mostly with Roadquill. However...
    Malibu Canyon Road intersects Pacific Coast Highway with Pepperdine University at the NW corner. Few know that if you cross MCR and enter the Park on the SouthWest side of PCH, on what is technically called "Winter Mesa Drive," there is the Michael Landon Community Center. Here actual Malibu-ites take their kids to play baseball and soccer. Better yet, there is a trail around the entire park. From the trail at the far west side of the park there are telescopes and a seating area. From here you overlook with a terrrific close-up view of THE MALIBU COLONY. And if you hike down that hill, you can actually walk along the beach of those home with no security to stop you. - Don't tell to many about this as it's fairly secret. I only know because I lived there.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines