Malibu Travel Answers

change location

biking to santa monica pier

by ernie03 Online Now Jun 1, 2010 at 8:49 PM

My wife and I will be staying in Malibu in 3 weeks. Is there a bicycle path that goes from Malibu all the way to the Santa Monica pier or can we bike on the beach until we get to Will Rogers State Beach?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Agraichen's Profile Photo

Re: biking to santa monica pier

by Agraichen Online Now Jun 1, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Hopefully a local will provide better information, but I don't know of any route other than HWY 1 which I would not suggest as a good bike route. The beach route is an interesting thought. It might just work.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Jun 1, 2010 at 11:16 PM

No, there really is no bicycle path on most of the route. Understand that there are many many houses and communities right on the beach and they can be a little territorial regarding the beach front. These are mostly very wealthy people, in a prime real estate location. No they cannot block beach access, but are used to their privacy.

That being said, you can bike on Highway 1, but suggest that you stay well to the side, and pay attention. Since Malibu is a long stretch, it would help to know just how far into Malibu you are staying.

Highway 1, from Santa Monica, to Oxnard/Point Hueneme, has 26 street lights on the first 26 miles, all syncronized for car speed of 40-50 mph. The next stretch is 26 miles with no lights at all, almost all right on the ocean. It ends at Big Rock, before coming around the end of the mountain and into Oxnard. This stretch is very popular with bicyclists. Clearly you are referring to going the other way. I would suggest that you try the route going north as well. It is beautiful, expecially early morning, quiet and sparsely populated and just a very serene route. (I used to live at the Oxnard Harbor (Channel Islands Harbor), and drove this route into Santa Monica and back on a daily basis.

The closer you get to Santa Monica, the more stretches of beach parking lots where you can get off the highway and ride. The last part I strongly suggest that you do juust that as the last mile or two, before the Pier is a busy highway and I am not certain but i do not think they allow the bikes on that last part of the highway. But there is access to the parkinglots and such all the way to the Pier.

This map/site will show the bike route, and you can click on it in a few places that will explain some aspect of that particular part of the route.

bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ma...

Here are a few more bike routes in Malibu to review.

mapmyride.com/search?txtLoca...

I will throw these in as well just for fun....

seeing-stars.com/live/malibu...

http://www.santamonicapier.org/

http://www.ci.malibu.ca.us/

You also may like to know about Zuma Beach, at about the halfway mark. It is considered the top surfing beach and has been featured in several films including Point Break (Keanu Reeves and Patrick Swazcey). It is the Mecca of surfers...and as you can see on the following, they take their weather and surf report seriously.

watchthewater.org/beach.cfm?...

watchthewater.org/beach_imag...

Have fun in the sun....................d:o)

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Jun 1, 2010 at 11:41 PM

As mentioned, Hwy 1 is a narrow road through Malibu. Heading south on Hwy 1 from the Malibu Pier is dicey, but starting at Temescal Canyon Road (Will Rodgers State Beach)is the Venice Beach Ocean Front Bike Path that is safe and runs beachside through Santa Monica, Venice to Marina Del Rey.

• bocmaxima's Profile Photo

by bocmaxima Online Now Jun 2, 2010 at 11:57 AM

I've seen quite a few people biking Highway 1, but I wouldn't do it, personally. The area west of Malibu has quite a few roadside parking strips, so you have to watch for people popping out of the line of cars, opening their doors, pulling out, etc. The speed limit is also relatively high (55mph, IIRC, and 45 in Malibu) and traffic tends to be heavy, so it's not the most peaceful ride.
    Biking on the beach is out unless you have some sort of bike that does well on sand. Like with dune buggy tires (awesome!).
    I think that biking in the hills is the better suggestion, or try to cram them in your car and drive down to Will Rogers.

Sounds like you already know about this:
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_St...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines