Malibu Travel Answers

change location
atufft's Profile Photo

Don't Mudslides Follow Scorched Earth?

by atufft Online Now Oct 29, 2007 at 8:42 PM

Malibu is world famous for having million dollar homes that slide into the Pacific. After this Santa Ana fire, isn't a winter of mudslides likely?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • zuriga's Profile Photo

Re: Don't Mudslides Follow Scorched Earth?

by zuriga Online Now Oct 30, 2007 at 12:11 AM

I am hardly an expert on Malibu, but I think the area really has two different locations for homes. Some are down at the beach level, and the others are high in the hills (where the fires were). The homes that slide into the Pacific are usually the ones nearer the water. Do mudslides depend on rain? I think anything is possible in California. :-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Oct 30, 2007 at 11:25 AM

I'd be more worried of fire or even an earthquake than a mudslide. Mudslides that do happen in Malibu affect only a very small percentage of private property and rarely close down a road. Of course, it never rains in Southern California and as the songs goes,"it pours man it pours", so who knows?

• atufft's Profile Photo

by atufft Online Now Oct 30, 2007 at 6:31 PM

Need more local input I guess. Pepperdine University is on the Pacific Coast Highway, which evacuated during the fire, and the highway has in fact closed down during winter rain storms that caused mudslides. Yes, it does rain in Southern California, and the mudslides, or water soaked earth at least, are the cause for the losses of multimillion dollar homes in Malibu.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

by Roadquill Online Now Oct 30, 2007 at 7:05 PM

As to fire causing loss of vegetation and thus mudslides, there could be slides around Corral Canyon, but these would tend to be top soil. Most of the canyon area is not that deep where one would expect slides that would impact homeowners. There may be a small impact. Some areas burned between PCH and Old Malibu Road where there is exposed dirt that could bring some slide action. Again, mostly just irritating. I don't think Malibu will be too affected. There is more of a danger of large, rain soaked mountain areas that are being pushed out towards the beach by the mountains moving, rather than the impact of the fire. For example, a large chunk of mountain came down in recent years by Solstice Canyon onto the road. Karl

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines