Malibu Travel Answers

change location
LisaRowe's Profile Photo

first time in Malibu - how to get to places (kind of an emergency)

by LisaRowe Online Now May 5, 2005 at 5:41 AM

Hi.
I am arriving Malibu at some point on the 6th or the 7th of June. I've never been in Malibu, nor California for that matter. I just have a tons of questions about how to get to places, using public transportation.
I would appreciate any response, really.

1. How do I get from the LA airport into the city? Is there a bus that can take me? Do I have to take a cab? If I take a cab how much would that all cost?
2. What's the name of a main bus/train station in LA?
3. How do I get to Malibu from LA? Which bus/train do I take? How much does it cost? How long is it?
4. What's the name of a main bus/train station in Malibu?
5. Is Malibu too big? Is it easy to find your way through it? Is it too expensive?
6. How do I get from the main bus/train station in Malibu to 34342 Mulholland Hwy? I am not sure I'll be able to afford a cab, so is there a bus/train that could take me there? Or close to it, and I could walk the rest of the road?
7. How do I get from the main bus/train station in LA to Grauman's Chinese Theatre 6925 Hollywood Blvd, in Hollywood? Stupid question : Is Hollywood IN Los Angeles, or just close to it?
8. If Hollywood is just close to LA, is it closer to get to Hollywood from Malibu or LA?
9. Would you have any idea of a cheap place to stay close to these both locations (the addresses in Malibu and Hollywood)? Can be a hostel room, a dorm, anything really - as long as it's cheap.
10. Are there any dangers in the cities? Both Malibu and LA? Is it easy to get robbed? Is it safe for a 20 years old girl to walk alone the whole time?
11. Is there anyone from VT that would like to meet up, show me around?:)

I'd appreciate any response - THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • RE: RE: first time in Malibu - how to get to places (kind of an emergency)

by RovingWyvern Online Now May 5, 2005 at 8:49 AM

LOL mht...

Don't take cabs here. They're expensive. I took a share ride van (where you and others take certain van based on your destination) and that costed me37 + tip. I should have rented a car to drive home instead.

You should be safe if you don't show flesh at night and exercise caution. We got all kinds of weirdos here. My brother and his gf almost got jumped by 4 Hispanics. Luckily, a bunch of people pop out of nowhere and saved them.

Everything mht said is correct so no need for me to reiterate it.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

RE: first time in Malibu - how to get to places (kind of an emergency)

by travelgourmet Online Now May 5, 2005 at 9:54 AM

Public Transportation to all areas is very poor. Hollywood is all part of the greater Los Angeles area. LA is huge and is an area consumed with automobile driving, even if only for a few blocks. Malibu is big only in size, and the address you gave is out in what we call the "boonies". Your Mullholland Hwy address is away from public transportation, in fact, it is very near the next county, Ventura. Your best bet is to stay in Hollywood, and there is one that is recommended. Hollywood International Hostel at 6820 Hollywood Blvd. is close by to the Grauman's Chinese Theatre and not that expensive. But, as to Malibu, that's a tough call. As posted, just be aware and try not to walk alone, anywhere in LA, especially at night. Good Luck.

• HarmoniousBotch's Profile Photo

by HarmoniousBotch Online Now May 5, 2005 at 10:16 AM

1) Take the bus.
    2) The main station is called Union Station.
    4) Malibu doesn't have a bus station, TTBOMK, it just has bus stops.
    5) Malibu is not big, but it is long. It stretches along the coast for miles. The main street is Pacific Coast Highway. As suggested by the first poster, look at mapquest.
    6) Mulholland? It probably can be done by public transportation, but you seriously should consider renting a car.
    7) Hollywood is not in LA, but it might as well be. In the LA area, all the cities are crammed together, and you can't tell when you leave one and enter another ( except perhaps the street signs are a different color ).

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

by Roadquill Online Now May 5, 2005 at 10:52 AM

Wow, you have picked a tough itinerary.

I don't know how much time you have but there are shuttles between LAX and most of the local LAX area hotels. Probably for the first night that you should probably stay there and get a handle on the City. The Furama is inexpensive, but tends to be noisy due to the number of college students that stay there.

Main bus station in LA is downtown. Unless you want to see something specific down there, there is no reason to go to the main bus station. There are hostels in both Santa Monica/Venice or Hollywood that you can find on the internet. Since you want to go up to Malibu, you should probably base yourself in the Santa Monica/Venice area, plus I consider it more safe than Hollywood (HW should be a bit less expensive).

AS mentioned, there are just buses that go up Pacific Coast Highway. Probably easiest from Santa Monica area than Hollywood. Also from Santa Monica you can always bus East on Wilshire and then N a few miles to get to Hollywood.

34342 Mulholland Hywy? Wow!!! That is certainly in the middle of nowhere. My office is on the corner of PCH and Kanan. That address is about a 20 minute drive from my office into the Santa Monica Mountains. Don't even think about walking.

Karl

• AngieGo's Profile Photo

by AngieGo Online Now May 6, 2005 at 1:15 PM

Malibu is a rich area. It is pretty safe. LA is a big place and some areas are good, some are not so good.

Uh, I SUGGEST RENTING A CAR!!!! Public transportation just isn't possible. The money you spend on renting a car is less than the time, money and trouble you'll have trying to get around LA without a car. Malibu is a secluded, rich beach area. I doubt they'll have a great public transportation system!!

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now May 6, 2005 at 4:44 PM

Looking at your age, renting a car will not be easy. Try a mom-and-pop car rental agency. The majors say 25 years of age to rent, some rent at 21 but you will pay a premium.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines