Maleria Travel Answers

change location
jrem2002's Profile Photo

maledrone.doxcyline Kenya safari Nov 04

by jrem2002 Online Now Nov 9, 2004 at 12:22 PM

due to go to Kenya need maleria mediaction. everyone seems to be recommending Maladrone but have ben told by chemist that it will be £85.00 for 30 tablets, dr won't do a prescription only private. anyone know of cheaper access for above thanks

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Seradoms's Profile Photo

RE: maledrone.doxcyline Kenya safari Nov 04

by Seradoms Online Now Jun 23, 2005 at 10:59 AM

Hello!
    I have spent what seems like hours at a travel clinic here in Calgary Canada, working through all the vaccinations and medications that I need to take with me to India. MALARIA IS A MUST! There are 3 types of oral meds you can use, each have their pros and cons.
    1.Mefloquine. Taken weekly, start 2 weks before you go, and finish one mon th after returning home. Side effect included dizziness, headaches, strange dreams, & insomnia.
    2. Doxycycline. **this is what I chose, since I will be there for 4 months** Start 1-2 days before leaving, finish 1 month after return home. Taken daily. Slight chance of causing sun-sensitivity (but you should be wearing suncreen 30 or greater anyways).
    3. Malrone. Taken daily. Side effects are dizziness, headaches, nausea. Do not use if pregnant.

Each of these require a prescription, and can be bought over the counter. Doxycycline is the cheapest to my knowlege @ 40 cents CANADIAN per pill. But it really depends on the country where you will have it administered. Rest assured, it will be well worth whatever cost you pay. This is a MUST med!! Along with Typoid, Hep A & B, Tetanus, and Polio. Recommened (esp for longer stays) are Yellow fever, Japanese Encephalitis, Rabies, Cholera, MMR's, and TB.

One thing to note: most, if not all, of these oral Malaria medications make you birth control pill VOID. Be careful!!

Hope this helps.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • juliakia's Profile Photo

RE: maledrone.doxcyline Kenya safari Nov 04

by juliakia Online Now Apr 10, 2006 at 9:39 PM

I was on doxycycline for 2 years while in Mali - never got malaria. Knew lots of people on malarone with truly psychotic, terrifying dreams who stopped taking the pills because of them and ... got malaria.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines