Maldives Travel Answers

change location

Painting in the Maldives??

by Samounou Online Now Dec 23, 2011 at 1:17 AM

Hello every one,
I am planing to go to the Maldives (Male Island I think) and would like to paint the beautiful landscape there. As a french painter, I cannot bring my materials with me in the plane, so I would like to by blank canvas, easel and pencils on the Island.
Does anyone of you know if I can find a store or something like that on the Island? I have no idea, it would be my first time in the Maldives... :)
Thank you so much for your help!!
Cheers,
Samuel

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • cgf's Profile Photo

Re: Painting in the Maldives??

by cgf Online Now Dec 23, 2011 at 2:23 AM

I believe you'd better take everything you need with you.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • tayloretc's Profile Photo

by tayloretc Online Now Dec 23, 2011 at 3:52 AM

I'm not sure why you couldn't bring canvas, easel, and pencils on the plane (probably checked) - paints in tubes might be a problem. You'd want to check with the airline.

One of the advantages to going to a place as expensive and regulated as Maldives is that hotels will often be able to handle offbeat requests. So once you decide on a hotel, check whether they can arrange what you're looking for. If not, perhaps you could do your sketches in a simpler medium, and paint when you return?

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Dec 23, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Taylor is right, - not sure why you cannot take an artist bag, that fits canvases and an easel with some supplies, and check the bag with the airline. Like this one, which is allowed to check as luggage.

aswexpress.com/discount-art-...

I list this just as an example. There are also convenient easel bags and I have seen one of these flat bags for canvas and easel, that can be checked as luggage.....and they are French too.....d:o)

aswexpress.com/discount-art-...

I did look, but found no place selling "art supplies" in the Maldives. That is not to say that there is not one there, - it is just not on line.

Taylor is also right in that the luxury resorts have ways of acquiring what their guests need. After all, they are expensive enough. If that is not what you intend to, you may have a bit of a problem filling your order there.

If you intend to roam Male, understand that, whatever is OK in or at the resorts, is not OK elsewhere on the main island. This is a Muslim culture, and I advise you to observe the local customs with respect. Good luck......d:o)

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Dec 25, 2011 at 1:49 AM

If you just go to Male and want to paint landscapes you can leave your painting material at home. The island is filled with buildings to the brim, and nothing else. You can paint people and streetscenes but no landscapes.

If you fly to other islands you can paint flat white sandy beaches with leaning palm trees, surrounded by turquoise water, and flowers.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Maldives Travel Answer Locations