Maldives Travel Answers

change location

Maldives - Low budget trip

by novankit Online Now Oct 7, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Hi - My wife & I are planning a trip to Maldives for end Nov '11 / early Dec '11. As like with most people, we have a limited budget, but would want to stay there for at least a week. Any recommendations on good hotels / resorts to stay in at ~USD 70-100/night (excluding F&B). The hotel can be non-branded but should have good service, clean rooms / bathrooms and a decent location.

In addition, can you please suggest what all beaches we should cover in a week, and what is the most convenient & cheapest transportation mode to get around? How much does it cost?

Thanks a lot in advance for your inputs!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • cgf's Profile Photo

Re: Maldives - Low budget trip

by cgf Online Now Oct 7, 2011 at 1:34 PM

from where do you want to leave?
    from Europe there are also charter flights and for the period you want to go some last minute may be found

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Oct 7, 2011 at 2:03 PM

I read again your question..

At Maldives [most of the times] one island is only for one resort, usually the island are so little that you walk all around in 15/20 minutes.
    At Maldive each resort has its own restaurant, irs own bars, there are not supermarket, just one a little shops in order to buy sun-cream, which is a must there and I suggest to use it since you get at airport while you wait for luggage, so (excluding F&B) it is not actually to be exclueded if you want to stay in budget, remember everything is imported, there are taxes on it, a bottle of water is not cheap. btw there is also a flat tax of US$6 per tourist bed night, this is paid from resort, but it has to be paid.
    At Maldives there are not the freedom to hop from one island to other, there are no passenger transport in between. Before you go to an island where locals are living, except Malè, you must have a permission.
    Transfer from airport to islands ands viceversa are mostly managed directly from resorts.
    if I were you I would take a package but remember that cheap&Maldive do not stay well together

• tayloretc's Profile Photo

by tayloretc Online Now Oct 7, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Maldives tends to be an expensive holiday. There are deals for all-inclusive packages to be found if you do some research and are flexible with dates and what you're willing to accept for accommodation.

As mentioned above, a lot of the individual islands are owned by different resorts, so visiting islands or beaches is restricted. Getting around is primarily by boat, arranged through the resort you're staying in.

I did a lot of research planning a trip here, and ended up not going because of the costs and the restrictions on movement. I knew some people who worked at a couple of the resorts, and they all said there's a clear divide between visitors and people who live there, making it extremely difficult to visit except through a resort.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Maldives Travel Answer Locations