Malaysia Travel Answers

change location
Patienceman's Profile Photo

Which country to go to from here?

by Patienceman Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Hi everyone

I go to Malaysia every year for a month and always take a short break (several days ) somewhere else which is convenient to get to whilst I am in that part of the world.

My question is this can anyone recommend a country of interest and that it is relatively cheap and easy enough to get to from Penang or Kuala Lumpur.I was thinking perhaps Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam or Laos. I don't have any experience of these countries and this is just a starting block but somewhere a bit different than the usual . It would be in August and I don't mind spending up to about £200 on flights. Normally I go to Thailand or Indonesia so would like to rule these countries out.

Is there any cheap gems out there that I have missed that I should really visit? Any recommendations welcome ;-)

Slainte!

Pat

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

Re: Which country to go to from here?

by xymmot Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Go to Vietnam, I find it interesting, people nice and food really good and cheap/ I did the same and was traveling the same countries you go to and was tired of the scene. My new thing is Vietnam. Visa 65 usd and Air Asia ticket 75 usd. cheers tommy x

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Just check out www.airasia.com and see what deals are available to Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar. Be aware that i believe you need a visa ahead of time for Myanmar and Vietnam whereas you can obtain one on arrival at Cambodia and Laos. All 4 countries are great to visit and and Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam are cheaper than Malaysia. Myanmar is cheap too but because of the heavy influx of tourists accommodation might be expensive compared to the other three.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

by cachaseiro Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I have been to Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam and they are all really interesting countries. Not really sure which one i will recommend. Depends a bit on what your interests are. But i am pretty sure that you will find all these 3 countries interesting.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I know Borneo is part of Malaysia, but I wonder if you have been there? It is different to main Malaysia, and in my opinion beautiful, laid back, cheap, good scenery, Orangutan's and lots of other wildlife to see. It is somewhere I want to return. We used Air Asia to come here.

• Patienceman's Profile Photo

by Patienceman Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Thank you so much everyone. It looks like Vietnam is in a couple of the answers so I am going to go with that. Ater doing a little research it also appears to one of the most recommendable countries to go to in SE Asia.

I'll stick a post in the Vietnam forum next on where to stay and go there....

Cheers Pat

• 1jabbar's Profile Photo

by 1jabbar Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Hey; Just looking at Air Asia flights from Malaysia (KL) to Vietnam (Saigon) though mid-July( 90.00 US return) probably similar prices in August.

• 1jabbar's Profile Photo

by 1jabbar Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Hey; Just looking at Air Asia flights from Malaysia (KL) to Vietnam (Saigon) though mid-July( 90.00 US return) probably similar prices in August.

• Patienceman's Profile Photo

by Patienceman Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Thanks for that....I've got a very small window to do this....12th August....looking at £117 return .....just found out my visa is £55 too....steep enough for several days visit....I'm going to go back to the drawing board and keep my options open :-) either way its definetely between Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia & Myanmar :-)

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 1:47 PM

With the Air Asia flight and the Visa to Vietnam, you will find it quite cheap. I flew into Ho Chi Min City and found great accomendations for 15 usd a night. As I tour the city by foot, I find many reasons to go there and enjoy the culture, people and food. You will find many hidden gems as well in the food department. You just have to do the walk. I was brave enough to travel by buses to different areas also that was 20 cents to ride. Taking a taxi if I was lost was the last resort which is cheap, and do not let them rip you off as there are horror stories that I have read about this on other VT pages that I have infact wrote one myself. So , if you go there, be sure to read up on the precautions so that they do not rip you off. All said and done, I went there for seven days and brought five hundred dollars with me. I went to a lot of places and ate well and slept well. I brought back three hundred dollars and change when I left Vietnam. This included food, room and board , entertainment and a tour. Some of the places I visit as well were inexpensive to get to as well.The country is something different and adventure from the time I landed.I think Vietnam would be a better choice between all the countries that you have not been to. I myself have traveled to all of the cities and now Vietnam is on my radar to return next year for a few months. I will buy a motor scooter and ride the coast from Hanoi to HCMC is my plan and I am on the planning stages right now. I will sell the scooter in HCMC as I have read others people blogs about doing this.Plan well and get the Lonely Planet guide to help you along the way. Actually , you can get all the information on the internet, I use the book as a reference guide. Good luck on your plans and have a good trip where ever you go. I will look forward to your traveling experience on the VT pages in the future. Thanks for the tips.

cheers tommy x

1 member found this helpful

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Other things you can do if you have the time is visit the neighboring countries on a tour. If you do this and going back to Vietnam, be sure to get a multi=entry VISA for a few dollars more. It depends on your time frame.

cheers tommy x

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Malaysia Travel Answer Locations