Malaysia Travel Answers

change location
dmitch1987's Profile Photo

Spending money

by dmitch1987 Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I am spending 2 and a half weeks in Singapore (4 days) and Malaysia for my honeymoon will be staying singapore-Kota kinabulu - kl- Langkawi. we want to take in a few of the excursions ie mangrove tour and jet ski tours in langkawi.

As we are on our honeymoon we wqnt to eat out at a few nice restaurants but dont mind taking advantage of street food . how much money would you think we would need to take per day per person.

thanks in advance.

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • dhanik's Profile Photo

Re: Spending money

by dhanik Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 9:19 AM

1st of all - 'spending money' is not a good title indeed. depending on you-street food will cost from USD1 to USD3/pax. I would say safely - it will cost u USD10 per day

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • dmitch1987's Profile Photo

by dmitch1987 Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 9:37 AM

dhanik wrote: 1st of all - 'spending money' is not a good title indeed. depending on you-street food will cost from USD1 to USD3/pax. I would say safely - it will cost u USD10 per day
     Really what should have i titled the thread?

Thanks for the figure!

• akkipaa's Profile Photo

by akkipaa Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Take a look to Langkawi travel guide here. If you would like to go to restaurants, the prices depend of course of the place level and the meat you eat. Full three-course dinner with drinks (and what you drink, water, wine, beer) has influence to prices.I have now in my eyes a bill from last spring and Langkawi, the place was Cactus restaurant and the items are: Wine=27, beer=8, water=4, coffee=3, Satay=10, Fu...=5, Calamari=14, thai&Beef=16, Fish=16, ice=5 and all prices in RM. Total about 100RM.

by akkipaa Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Lankawi Cable car price was about 30RM/person and some extra if you like to have VIP (you don't need to queue). Kuala Lumpur Butterflypark price is 20Rm/p and Bird park about the same. Petronas was 50RM. So, it depends what you are looking for. If you would like to see Langkawi taxi fares I have a photo of them in my Langkawi pages.

1 member found this helpful

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Your answer is a difficult one as i understand you are asking how much money per day for all needs, not just food. As said street food will cost $2-4 per meal per person as i assume that you will require a drink too. Restaurants can cost up to 100 ringit, then you have the costs of local tours, activities, transport and souvenirs.

• cal6060's Profile Photo

by cal6060 Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I think average between RM30 - RM50 per day per person will give you a comfortable stay in Malaysia. Around S$20- S$30 per day per person in Singapore would be enough to stay comfortably.

• Re: Spending money

by seductivedark Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I'm from Singapore. When you say 'street food', do you mean the sort from Taiwanese and Korean night markets, where it's usually snacks served from stands? Food courts and hawker centres are more common here, and a lot of local fare (noodles, chicken rice, etc.) at such places starts from SG$3 per person. Restaurants are different. If you visit places at Resorts World/Marina Bay Sands, it might even come up to SG$70 per person.

by akkipaa Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I propose that we wait the OP, the question was too open and impossible to answer. It's the question of you style how you travel. What is doable is not the way most/some of us travel. Food, travel, sights can take easily more than 100RM for person in Langkawi, in KL the transportation is cheaper (but if you lay on beach, you need only water and some meat, right :)

• Cdnexpat's Profile Photo

by Cdnexpat Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 2:29 AM

I travel in style, but probably you do too, on your honeymoon. I brought along to KL and Langkawi 200 dollars per day for food, and another 200 per day for excursions. That was enough. Hotels and breakfast were prepaid, as well as all ground transport.

• sdq's Profile Photo

by sdq Online Now Feb 16, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Just to add a little Jet Ski at Berjaya Langkawi resort is 50RM for 30 minutes plus the resor is also very romantic to stay.

• dmitch1987's Profile Photo

by dmitch1987 Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 8:57 AM

cheers guys sorry for the delay. we will be doing a good mix of things so maybe one or two really good meals in each of our 4 stops and during the day light street snacks and mostly drinking water...although i may have a few drinks a few evenings. we have booked fligts hotels and most of the resturants are bed and breakfast.

we are going to do a few days laying on the beach. going to do jet ski tour and eco mangrove tour in lk might do a city tour in kl and want to see lots of sites.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Malaysia Travel Answer Locations