Malawi

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• train to Nampula (Mozambique)

Malawi Feb 1, 2014 at 9:31 AM

We are going to Africa in August and we planned to travel by public transport from Lilongwe to Nampula (Mozambique). I was looking on the internet for some good routes, but it was hard to find something. That's why I'm asking whether someone knows if there is a direct train from Lilongwe (or somewhere else in Malawi) to Nampula, Mozambique. I'd rather travel by train then other transport facilities, but if there isn't a train going, is it okay for me to travel by bus or something like that. Would you please leave a link to website, so I can look it up and see what train/bus I have to take.
      Thank you

• public transport

Blantyre Jan 9, 2014 at 3:41 AM

If I arrive in Cap Maclear from Lilongwe how do I get to Blantyre using public transport

• Can agricultural foods be taken from U.S. to Malawi in suitcase?

Malawi Nov 19, 2013 at 12:02 AM

This is probably a dumb question... sorry. Hubby is to go to Malawi in January, He's never been to Africa. He's going for missionary work, very small scale. Can he take garlic bulbs in his suitcase? He will be visiting villages and would like to teach the people how to plant garlic to be used for basic infections and sicknesses. Or is seed garlic/organic garlic available in Malawi for him to buy there?

thank you

1 Answer Nov 19, 2013 at 5:16 AM
    • affordable accomodations for 2 -3 months in Lilongwe

Malawi Oct 27, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Hi, anyone knows where to find safe accomodations in Lilongwe at reasonable price? I will stay there 2- 3 months to do my master thesis and yet to find one. Thanks!

• MonicaJN's Profile Photo

best car hire malawi

Malawi Oct 15, 2013 at 8:44 PM

i was wondering if anyone could give me any info on the company "best car hire Malawi" IE: reliable, value, extras, if you have hired from them.....anything really.

i am hoping to fly to Blantyre from Lilongwe then hire a 4X4 in Blantyre so i can easily travel to Zomba and surrounding areas.

or if anyone can recommend any other good valued 4X4 hire companys i would love to hear.

thanks so much in advance for your help.

edit: also can anyone update me on the fuel situation.

2 Answers Oct 17, 2013 at 10:15 AM
    • MonicaJN's Profile Photo

Transport to norman carr cottage

Malawi Oct 1, 2013 at 2:41 AM

I was wondering is anyone could tell me the best way to get to norman carr cottage near monkey bay and how much I'm looking at spending, I will be leaving from lilongwe. Thanks

1 Answer Oct 1, 2013 at 9:11 AM
    • Travel adaptor

Malawi Jun 14, 2013 at 4:24 AM

Is it specific or will I be able to buy a South Africa one for use in Malawi ?

1 Answer Jun 14, 2013 at 4:40 AM
    • All things Malawi

Malawi Jun 14, 2013 at 2:16 AM

We have two weeks in Malawi mid July staying near the Zomba Plateau in the first week where we are visiting a charity project we support and then a week r&r up at Lake Malawi.Looking for advice and tips on expected weather,are mosquitos that bad,are long sleeve t shirts and trousers essential,gifts for locals and anything else useful ?

thanks in advance

Steven

2 Answers Jun 14, 2013 at 11:33 PM
    • anudh's Profile Photo

WHO CAN HANG OUT WITH ME IN MALWI FOR ONE WEEK

Malawi Apr 29, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I AM ANUDH FROM SRI LANKA. I HAVE PLANED TO VISIT MALAWI WITH IN NEXT COUPLE OF MOTHS. SO I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW SOME ONE OVER THERE WHO CAN HANG OUT WITH ME DURING MY STAY IN MALAWI EITHER FOREIGNER OR MALAWIAN. IF ANY ONE LIKE PLEASE CONTACT ME THROUGH MY EMAIL ADDRESS. ndhmadawala@yahoo.com

3 Answers Apr 29, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    • tourist visas and voluntary work

Malawi Mar 28, 2013 at 10:46 AM

other than the standard tourist visa issued at malawian customs, do i need to have a permit to undertake some voluntary work whilst there as part of my experience placement? I have read different things in different places and the Malawian High Commission in London did not seem to know.

2 Answers Mar 28, 2013 at 3:15 PM
    • change of lifestyle

Blantyre Nov 18, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I am planning to move to Blantyre next year which is where my partner is from. I would like to know what the town and healthcare are like please.

1 Answer Nov 19, 2012 at 5:38 AM
    • Does Malawi have enough to offer for up to 6-8 weeks?

Malawi May 17, 2012 at 4:12 PM

My boyfriend and I want to go away for around 6-8 weeks June/July/August - we want to stay fairly active (originally intending to go to india but want the sun!) - we want to live relatively comfortably on30 each per person per day (the surrounding countries in Africa don't seem to be quite as cheap) -

To sum up we are looking for: sun, beach, cheapness, a fairly safe place, trekking and adventure. We want a taste of a beach holiday but want the majority of the trip to be active and exciting!

We've been looking at a few forums and the general consensus is that Malawi is a great place to chill out and a couple of weeks is probably enough - will it offer enough adventure for 6-8 weeks?

13 Answers May 22, 2012 at 9:09 AM
    • MONEY

Malawi Feb 2, 2012 at 6:28 AM

planning on go to malawi lillongwe wanted to know the cost of things meals out drinks BEER travel etc in GBP

• first time malawi

Malawi Dec 3, 2010 at 2:36 AM

i need lots of information about malawi. i will be going there in the next 6 to 12 months . and stying for a few months.what is the climate? risk of malaria?

11 Answers Jun 2, 2011 at 8:21 AM
    • Self-Drive Lilongwe - Cape Maclear

Cape Maclear Feb 18, 2010 at 3:08 AM

HI There,

I am reading a few posts that say you must catch the first bus in the morning from Monkey Bay to get back to Lilongwe in daylight.

I dont have much time to wait around for buses and want to spend 2 nights on Domwe Island. I was thinking of hiring a car. How early would I need to leave Domwe Island to get back to Cape Maclear to get in my car to drive to Lilongwe in daylight? is it even possible?

To get to Domwe, I was going to stay at Njobvu Village down new Liwonde national park and drive up early morning to Cape Maclear. Is this possible?

I will not be in a 4X4, but an small hire car.

Thanks for your advice in advance!

1 Answer Jun 9, 2010 at 5:52 PM
    • Accomodation in Blantyre

Malawi Oct 6, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Hey folks I am traveling to Blantyre and wondering if any one knows any clean,safe and affordable motels or bed & breakfast.

Any help is highly appreciated

Xena

2 Answers Jul 27, 2010 at 4:33 AM
    • Chris_elliott57's Profile Photo

malawi to jo'berg

Malawi Aug 11, 2009 at 5:06 AM

hi i arrive in malawi from zambia tomorrow and am wondering if anyone knows any bus companies that run malawi to jo'berg. If possible with hoping on and off through mozambique but if not any help would be grateful. Alternatively any cheap airlines flying this way?

Cheers

1 Answer Aug 12, 2009 at 3:09 AM
    • annie_81's Profile Photo

Moving to Lilongwe for 1 year - need accommodation

Malawi Aug 4, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Hello!

I am moving to Lilongwe for 1 year at the end of this month. Can anyone advise on available accommodation?

I am looking for a 1 or 2 bedrooms apartment or house with bathroom attached and other modern amenities, located in central area.

- Can anyone advise on the average price range?

- Just dreaming: Would it be difficult to find accommodation with a Pool (shared or not), how much, on average would that be?

- Does accommodation usually comes furnished, or not?

- How is the power situation these days? How many hours per weeks is it lacking? Would it be advisable to buy a generator or an inverter?

Any other considerations?

Thank you, looking forward to relocating!!

Annie

3 Answers Aug 13, 2009 at 11:16 AM
    • Lake Malawi - Rent a cottage

Malawi Jul 3, 2009 at 6:17 AM

Can anyone tell me if there is accommodation for rent at the south end of Lake Malawi? Hotel acommodation on the internet seems to suggest that Malawi is aiming at the luxury end of the tourist market.

2 Answers Jul 4, 2009 at 7:12 AM
    • ginalolla's Profile Photo

Cash machines in Blantyre

Malawi Apr 27, 2009 at 11:26 AM

I will be in Blantyre, Malawi for 3 weeks in June 2009. Can someone please tell me how easy it is to withdraw cash, eg: location, Visa credit or Maestro debit, travellers cheques etc. Also, are withdrawal amounts restricted? Any advice helpful. Many thanks

• orrsarah's Profile Photo

Visible Tattoo's in Malawi

Malawi Jan 20, 2009 at 6:09 AM

Hi, I am going to Malawi, to Blantyre, in June and I have a tattoo at the very base of my shin, about 6-7 cm long, how do the Malawi people look towards visible tattoos.

The tattoo is of a cross.

I plan on wearing long skirts that completely cover anyways, but don't want it to pop onto display if it is inappropriate

Many thanks

Sarah

3 Answers Jan 23, 2009 at 4:11 AM
    • adnila's Profile Photo

Cost of food items

Malawi Jan 14, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Hello to you all,

I'm hoping that someone can help me here. I'm looking for the price for milk, bread, petrol and maize in Malawi. I need this for an assignment.

YOur help is much appreciated.

Tnx

Ciao

Adnila

7 Answers Feb 1, 2009 at 3:15 AM
    • Safety considerations

Malawi Jan 10, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Hi there i am planning a trip to Malawi with my sixteen year old daughter and her mum is slightly concerned about the risk of travel. We are planning to spend two to three days in Blantyre and then have another five or six days where we would like to visit a game park and get to check out some of the sights that Malawi has to offer.

Would appreciate any feedback and advice that can assist to "put mums mind at rest" about travelling around Malawi. Would also appreciate if anyone can suggest good game parks to visit around the Blantyre area or do we need to travel further afield and base ourselves in Lilongwe for a few days instead?

3 Answers Jan 23, 2009 at 4:23 AM
    • Directions

Malawi Oct 28, 2008 at 2:26 AM

Hi There

We are 4 friends looking at going to Malawi this december with a car from Johannesburg South Africa. Has anyone done this before or know how to do this. We are having trouble finding road maps/directions
      We are looking for the shortest and safest route

Thanx

4 Answers Oct 31, 2008 at 8:21 AM
    • Lilongwe airport transfers

Malawi Jun 6, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Hi- I am flying into Lilongwe at the start of August. Can anyone tell me how easy/safe/expensive it is to get a transfer to the city from the airport? Also- any good suggestions of nice friendly hostels in the city would be gratefully received! Cheers :)

3 Answers Sep 2, 2008 at 1:29 AM
    • areas of Blantyre

Malawi Apr 11, 2008 at 7:54 AM

What are the good areas to live in in Blantyre?

Thanks

1 Answer Feb 26, 2009 at 2:47 AM
    • Peanuts (Ground nuts) in Malawi

Malawi Mar 31, 2008 at 4:29 AM

I'd like to visit Malawi and I have a nut allergy. Could anyone tell me how widely used peanuts are? Is peanut oil sometimes used for frying?

I have discovered online that peanuts are sometimes used as a flour substitute, for example in Masamba (Greens). Is this frequently done and will I find it difficult to know when a dish contains peanuts?

Many thanks in advance.
      Mike

1 Answer Jul 8, 2008 at 5:45 PM
    • Looking for a health (sports) club in Blantyre

Blantyre Feb 17, 2008 at 4:49 AM

Can you recommend a health (sports) club in blantyre that i could use while there for a few months? i would deeply appreciate it. thanks. zep07

1 Answer Feb 26, 2009 at 2:48 AM
    • HalifaxSLP's Profile Photo

Living in Blantyre - what's it like??

Malawi Feb 4, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Hello,
      I am planning to go to Blantyre for about 6 months, and hope to also travel around the region. I have been looking for information about accommodations in Blantyre and have had a hard time finding much. One site said that it would cost about1500-2000/month USD! That's FAR more than I pay at home! I thought it would be much less to live in Malawi. Is it true that you need to pay that much? that you need to hire security guards?? That is so not what I expected and was surprised to read that.

Any and all suggestions about temporary stays in Blantyre would be welcomed and much appreciated!!
      Thanks!
      Ellen

2 Answers Apr 6, 2008 at 1:53 AM
    • Santigi's Profile Photo

Chongoni Rock Art area

Malawi Feb 2, 2008 at 8:50 AM

Hi
      Does anyone know whether it is possible to visit the World Heritage Site Rock Art shelters at Chongoni? If so does anyone know about places to stay for a night or two in or near the area in May? I've contacted the Dedza Pottery and Lodge but the web encyclopaedia's mention The Rainbow Bar and Resthouse", "Winners Lodge", "The Boyz Club" and "The Chimwenwe Bar" also in Dedza. Any information or contact details would be much appreciated.
      Thanks
      Santigi