Malawi Travel Answers

change location

Peanuts (Ground nuts) in Malawi

by migwell Online Now Mar 31, 2008 at 4:29 AM

I'd like to visit Malawi and I have a nut allergy. Could anyone tell me how widely used peanuts are? Is peanut oil sometimes used for frying?

I have discovered online that peanuts are sometimes used as a flour substitute, for example in Masamba (Greens). Is this frequently done and will I find it difficult to know when a dish contains peanuts?

Many thanks in advance.
Mike

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: Peanuts (Ground nuts) in Malawi

by mrtetley Online Now Jul 8, 2008 at 5:45 PM

I just got back from a month in Malawi. My wife was with me, and she's been twice before. Though it's not deathly, she has a nut allergy too. I'd say you'll be safe. Cooking is often quite spartan, as are ingredients; you'll usually need to pay more for, and hence actually order, any luxury item like a groundnut. Greens will more often be just that: greens and nothing but.

If your allergy is a really nasty one, be aware that peanut butter is occasionally available with breakfast at some nicer hotels, though I never saw it pre-spread.

In the final instance, though, most Malawians have a good grasp of English for you to clearly communicate that you don't want peanuts, and since you're saving the cook money by not wanting them, I can't see this being a problem

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Malawi Travel Answer Locations