Malawi Travel Answers

change location

Malawi and kids

by Ukclare Online Now Aug 31, 2004 at 12:51 PM

We have been invited to a wedding in Malawi in May 2005. We have two kids, who will be 6 & 7 next year. Reading so much information from various sources leaves us very concerned about taking them. We are worried about health, what happens if we have an accident, reports of basic healthcare and reports of violent threats against tourists, especially in tourist spots, where we will be. Also not keen on reports of armed car jacking. Anyone have any recent report of taking kids to Malawi and would you advise for or against. ? Any input very welcome. ( we are not the most adventurous travellers, if we were to be honest ! )

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • teaman's Profile Photo

Re: Malawi and kids

by teaman Online Now Dec 6, 2004 at 6:56 AM

I was working in Limbe , Blantye for a while and it was at that time the safest part of Africa I had worked in,need to know your travel plans , are you flying into Lilongwe ? what city is the wedding ? try to fly as close to your destination as possible , I never travelled by coach but did use private car and driver , this can be worrying if you are not used to Africa roads traditions and rain storms etc and police check points.I carried my own first aid kit with all medicine and needles etc available from BA travel clinic as health care not too good.Its a fantastic place and most enjoyable , I still have contacts in Limbe so could get you updated if thats your location. Cheers , Russ Hill ( teaman)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Malawi Travel Answer Locations