Malawi Travel Answers

change location
crazykatja's Profile Photo

Travel in Malawi

by crazykatja Online Now Jun 9, 2004 at 5:09 AM

Hi all VTs, I am going to travel in August and September around Southern Africa, including Malawi. I will start on 1 August and travel from Maputo to Beira and later up to Malawi. I will be in Malawi most probably around 15 August. Does anybody of you has information where is best to cross the border? Do you know about hitch-hiking in Malawi? Which roads have steady traffic? Are there any other cheap transport opportunities? What about staying in tent? Does anybody know if there are opportunities to stay for free? I would be happy to hear from you! Katja http://AFRICA.kligys.com www.cc-k.com

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • frockland's Profile Photo

Re: Travel in Malawi

by frockland Online Now Jun 19, 2004 at 1:58 AM

Hi Katja! - Hitch-hiking is not common and you will have to pay for the lifts anyway. but there are plenty of minibusses going everywhere nowadays! - All the main roads have traffic trucks & minibusses . They are in good condition. Blantyre - Lilongwe; Lakeshore road; Mzuzu- Karonga all are pretty good!) - Busses are cheapest but not too much anymore these days, monibusses are faster overcrowed and also cheap, lux. busses are fastest but donĀ“t go everywhere. - Camping is fine, as long as you asked the locals or the chief for permisson before if you want to stay in villages off the beaten track. There are many cheap campsites along the lake aswell. - Staying for free? I know only one place in Monkey Bay where you can stay for free at a lodge if you are interessted in taking part in some developing projects. I have a email address if you are interessted! Anymore questions? enjoy lovely Malawi frockland

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Malawi Travel Answer Locations