Malapascua Island Travel Answers

change location

How many days - non divers

by hookedup1 Online Now Feb 27, 2005 at 7:18 PM

Sounds like a great place to pop in for a few days. 2 or 3 days enough. We are not scuba divers, but like to snorkel. Would you say it is worth a visit given our circumstances. Rest of proposed trip would include Boracay, Palawan, possibly Siargao and Manila/Banaue etc.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • arni_ph075's Profile Photo

RE: How many days - non divers

by arni_ph075 Online Now Feb 28, 2005 at 2:27 AM

I love snorkelling too, Snorkelling at Malapascua I heard is not its strong points, really best for diving. Mrjemm is a great resource person about the place. :-)

Maybe you can include Balicasag Island, Bohol on your trip, I was there the other week, and its fish sanctuary is awesome. Even on its shallow waters, there are a lot of fish already..Ive seen several school of fish, and there are a lot of variety..

If you want to see clownfish city, school of jack fish and really huge corals, Apo Island near Dumaguete is the perfect destination. Its also a marine sanctuary just like Balicasag. The current is strong, but if you want the best place for snorkeling, its the place.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: How many days - non divers

by mrjemm Online Now Feb 28, 2005 at 12:26 PM

Hi, and thanks Arni.

Malapascua is a lovely place and has some good snorkelling, but it's not the highlight of the place and without diving, it may be a long way to go, being remote, for your purposes. You may be able to find somewhere more convenient to get to which is more snorkel oriented.

However, you may want to give diving a try and Malapascua would be a good place to learn (Thresher Shark Divers, ex Bubble07 would be very good), but your time is too short really.

If you do go, have a fantastic time. Jem

• joyful_sun's Profile Photo

RE: How many days - non divers

by joyful_sun Online Now Feb 28, 2005 at 8:08 PM

Sorry but Malapascua is a diver's paradise, not really for snorkellers. I think it wont be worth the visit for you. From the nearest airport, its about 2 hours by land and a 30 minute boat ride away. If you want to snorkel, you should go to Anilao or Puerto Galera. Bohol is also a good place to snorkle and unwind.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines