Malang Travel Answers

change location

malang or probolinggo

by musaphir Online Now May 14, 2008 at 12:15 PM

hi
we have three days to spend around the surabaya region. various VT posts indicate that surabaya is a huge port city and may not merit a three day stay. we have threfore considered malang/batu or probolinggo as extensions. could travelling with a baby prove challenging travelling to probo.

how much could taxi fare cost to probolinggo?

we have received some extremely useful suggestions from some members (harish e.g) but would like to cover mt bromo if possible.

all ideas welcome.
musaphir

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Roxhyta's Profile Photo

Re: malang or probolinggo

by Roxhyta Online Now May 14, 2008 at 9:25 PM

Well Surabaya just an ordinary city, for tourist not really!! If you know local, well that would be super fun, but if you there to explore everything by yourself, well, its a bit difficult!

Malang, well its a small city but cold in a mountain, for me to be honest , not really special, its an old town, alot of Dutch houses. Big trees, but still nothing special.

Batu, they have amusement park name Jatim Park, they said its really fun!!
    In Batu I can suggest you stay in Klub Bunga, located next to Jatim Park, I really enjoy spend time there, Hotel is big, we can enjoy playing allday there, its not kinda luxury, but its big, and they have big swiming pool, gym, sauna, tennis court, mini golf, water polo, squash, shoot, mini zoo. Its really cool actually!!

Probolinggo is a good idea, go to Rafting there are soem rafting company you can visit like arus liar or Songa: http://www.songarafting.com/main/
    ; arusliar.co.id/east_java.htm... ; they both famous, just make reservation, they can transfer you too from Surabaya to Probolinggo.

For taxi, well thats crazy!!!
    Surabaya to Probolinggo its about 4-5 hours.
    Maybe better if you rent a car include the driver for few days while you in east java. they can take you to Bromo too!! Bromo is in Probolinggo, very beautiful place, Its a MUST!!

Have a nice trip!!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: malang or probolinggo

by musaphir Online Now May 15, 2008 at 6:31 AM

hi Roxhyta
    thank you for your response. any suggestions for car hire for three days commencing and ending at surabaya airport. do you know any reliable operator and what are the costs likely to be.
    musaphir

• Roxhyta's Profile Photo

by Roxhyta Online Now May 15, 2008 at 10:10 PM

I suggest 2 car rental provider, you may contact them yourself, please make bargain.

New INNOVA
    12 Hour =Rp375k
    24Hour=Rp425k

New Kijang/New Avanza/New Panther
    12Hour=Rp250k
    24Hour=Rp300k

APV/Panther
    12Hour=Rp225k
    24Hour=Rp275k

Pregio/ELF/L 300 available
    Capasitas 10-13 person

Price above include driver
    Call:031-71037706,081703206909
    Reservation 24 Hours
    We Serve Better

Email : pinkhouse_rc@yahoo.com
    http://www.pinkhouse-rentcar.8m.com

The other provider is Rika you may contact her via email rikasty@surabayatrans.97.com
    her phone : 6231 7078 3000; 6231 7130 5599 ; 62811 341 5992; 628585 1111 799

Give it a try!!

• pPamela's Profile Photo

by pPamela Online Now May 16, 2008 at 12:29 AM

You could always get the very comfortable train- it takes 3 hrs from Surabaya to Probolinggo. In Probolinggo you can get the local bus up to Cemoro Lawang where everyone stays to get the early morning jeep to the viewing platform to see the sunrise and then the jeep takes you over to see the crater of Bromo- you have to climb many stairs to get there. Not sure if yuo want to do that with a little one.
    Also be warned Gunung Bromo is very cold overnight and it is freezing at 5 am so bring warm clothes.
    After viewing Bromo you can always get a bus from probolinggo and head off to Malang takes about 5 hrs. I did this trip by myself in July 2006.

However, if you have a baby a car and driver is probably going to make life just that much easier.
    Sorry I cannot help with the cars- I did not use one so have no idea.
    Hoping you have a very memorable trip.
    Pamela.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines