Málaga Travel Answers

change location
csuresh's Profile Photo

Can I see Africa from Malaga and Around, Spain?

by csuresh Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I have planned my trip to Spain, mainly in the Costa Del Sol specifically Malaga. Earlier I planned to travel to Gibraltar, UK region to view Africa from there. However, due to my visa restrictions, I can only visit Spain now. I wanted to know whether anyone can suggest a good safe and accessible place that I can view Africa!

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • Redang's Profile Photo

Re: Can I see Africa from Malaga and Around, Spain?

by Redang Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 9:25 AM

The closest point is Tarifa or Algeciras.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • vtveen's Profile Photo

by vtveen Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 9:34 AM

From Tarifa you can see Africa (Morocco), but be aware it is quite a distance and you weill not see too much.

happy travels
    Jaap

• ranger49's Profile Photo

by ranger49 Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 11:42 AM

You could take a full one day trip from the port of Algeciras to Ceuta - an enclave on the coast of Morocco that has been part of Spain for over 500 years.
    Fast ferries leave throughout the day at regular intervals and you can find details here.
    http://www.frs.es/
    I did the trip some years ago and we took a very early morning ferry and arrived back at our hotel near Malaga around 8pm.
    As you have a visa for Spain you should not have a problem but you will need to show it on the journey and when arriving.
    However best to check beforehand.

by ranger49 Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 11:50 AM

P.S. A day Return trip would cost 62 euros (I just checked)quite a bit more than I paid - but it was well worth it as it was then my first taste of and part of the African coast. We had a guided tour of parts that seemed certainly less Spanish tham African.

• annemariebyrne's Profile Photo

by annemariebyrne Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Suresh,
    If you simply want to be able to say that you saw Africa from Europe then just head to the highest point overlooking the coast near to where you are staying on a clear day and you will be able to see Morocco on the horizon. Friends of mine live in Calahonda, high up above the coast near the AP -7 Toll Motorway and can regularly see Morocco from their balcony.
    In Benalmadena there is a cable car that will take you 800 metres up the side of a mountain, and there are paths to walk higher up. If conditions are right you will be able to see Africa! This is a more convenient and less expensive option than travelling down to Gibraltar, Tarifa or Algeciras if you are staying in the Málaga area. The local train stops in Benalmadena.
    Details about the cable car here:
    marbellafamilyfun.com/telefe...
    And more here:
    tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g56...

• csuresh's Profile Photo

by csuresh Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 5:50 AM

Thank You All, I successfully and happily completed my Spain trip. I do see a mountain outline from Benalmadena Palace and think for sure it must be Africa. I do went to a tallest point where there is a Stupa and a similar one but could not distinguish between Cloud or Mountain. Also visited, Ronda, Exit 133 of AP7 for Gibraltar view and Al Hambra, Granada.. overall nice one!!! Wished for Ceuta but 5 days seem less for what I did.

by ranger49 Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Good to hear you had a good trip[. Ceuta next time perhaps?

• Luckell's Profile Photo

by Luckell Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 12:01 PM

If you haven't already been to Spain, here follows a suggestion. Yes, you can see the African coast from Costa del Sol. But it's difficult to see it during daytime. If you go to a place with view over the sea early in the morning, when the air is cold and clear, you can see the mountains in Africa very well. It is beautiful. Depending on where you are you can see the coast from different places. If you are near Marbella (where I usually am) you can go up to the mountains in Elviria. You drive up in the mountains and then you have an excellent view over the sea. I hope you'll have a nice trip in Spain. It's a nice country. Remember to eat churros. I visited Gibraltar last time I were in Spain and it is definitely worth a visit. It's sad that you can't go there. Maybe next time! Enjoy your stay man!

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines