Málaga Travel Answers

change location
csuresh's Profile Photo

Malaga and around - Car driving

by csuresh Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 5:34 AM

We have planned for trip to Malaga mid of next month. I plan to rent a car to travel at my own pace with 2 kids and my wife. I wanted to know how is the standard of roads, is it difficult to follow road rules considering that I don't know too much of espanol, policing, safety and security around the area.
Your reply will be very useful for our planning. I will ask more as I plan further. Gracias in advance!!!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • akkipaa's Profile Photo

Re: Malaga and around - Car driving

by akkipaa Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Here is comparison of European traffic signs, you get an idea that those are almost similar everywhere.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...

I have driven there, can't espanol, but faces no troubles. Of course one have to be careful if there is some text under the sign as is normal we don't understand. You might find most challenging that the system is metric, there are meters and kilometers in the signs.

Police is eager everywhere and you have to keep normal safety awareness, both in traffic and with your valuables in car (nothing visible and car is not a safety vault). Roads are in good shape, of course you find narrow and curvy roads from mountains, and like you, we drive on right lane.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Malaga and around - Car driving

by wazegoose Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 10:16 AM

The roads in this area and most of Spain are superb. The road signs are self. Explanatory.
    Keep to the speed limit and DONT drink. There are a lot of Spanish Police and they will pull you over.
    Also, be very careful to lock the car as. Thieves know that you are driving a rental car.
    Also, make sure that you check the car over before you leave. There might be damage to the car and they will blame you for it.

• johnincornwall's Profile Photo

by johnincornwall Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 7:23 AM

'Modere su velocidad' is often seen on the motorway - we would say 'watch your speed'.

As stated roads are good. Plan your visit and where you want to go, lots of richly historical towns and villages about. Satnav is indispensible unless you have an excellent map-reader next to you - which I never had!

I do speak Spanish so I cant really comment on any language problems - but millions of people do it - I read in the Telegraph once that Goldcar (only) has 25,000 cars per week rented out of Malaga (pre-crisis). The oddest thing is that when you come off a motorway and/or join another - you can sometimes and very suddenly find yourself at a stop line in Spain, where you have to wait to join passing traffic. In England you always merge from the side.

Use Hispacar.com or Carjet for cars

• csuresh's Profile Photo

by csuresh Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 6:02 AM

We just completed our trip happily and successfully. We rented the car from Avis due to proximity and known brand. The car was only month's old. It was my first time driving left hand drive manual gear vehicle, but not a big deal. Roads are superb and we covered around 300 miles travelling Ronda, Granada and local. We do had Satnav/GPS for safety, inspite of that missed our route in Benalmadena and GPS seem to have confused a little. Overall nice trip.. thanks for your replies....

• akkipaa's Profile Photo

by akkipaa Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 6:21 AM

There are some tricky part to navigate, right, I remember once my GPS got mad (it was somewhere between Malaga and Torre) and took a while to get back on track. Nice you had successful trip!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines