Málaga Travel Answers

change location

Malaga city centre room or El Palo?

by tifolie Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 5:26 AM

Found a room on San Juan de Letran in Malaga which is approximately 15 minute bus ride to school in El Palo area. Have been told city centre best for students but I do not know whether I should take a room near the school. I am there for one month. Thanks for any advice!

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • WomBatt's Profile Photo

Re: Malaga city centre room or El Palo?

by WomBatt Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 6:06 AM

The city centre is 'best for students' - what is 'best' about the city for a student?

Presuming this is a Spanish language course my only thought is - if staying in the city, rather than El Palo, near the school, you would probably not be mixing as much with fellow students speaking your own language and probably be forced to speak with Malagueños and therefore improve your Spanish a little quicker. However the address in Malaga is very close to the tourist area. I suspect you will again be in or near student accommodation because of the volume of young people I see in the vicinity when I visit.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Malaga city centre room or El Palo?

by tifolie Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 7:50 AM

WomBatt wrote:
    The city centre is 'best for students' - what is 'best' about the city for a student?

Thanks very much! Actually I think they believe that students should be where all the activity is....but maybe they consider the activities bar hopping. It is not so far from the water and a very nice park for jogging etc. I was not sure how safe it would be right in the centre of the town. A separate company takes care of the accomodation for university students and they propose a 5 storey bldg on san juan de letran. Of course it is convenient to restaurants and bars but my daughter is in school 20 hours a week and she will take the bus to the school at El Palo area. She will be in Malaga for one month and then will go on to Madrid for two months. What I really wanted to know was the condition of this building and if the area was safe for a couple of young women. Thanks so much

Be the first to rate this answer!

by tifolie Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Also this is the area of the apartment:Calle San Juan de Letran, right on the Plaza de la Merced
    Also wondering if it is normal not to have a fire alarm in the building. Here in Canada it is the law and all buildings must have a carbon monoxide/fire alarm installed. Thanks

• WomBatt's Profile Photo

by WomBatt Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 8:41 AM

All I can offer additionally is -
    You can see the length of Calle San Juan de Letran on google street view.

I have no idea what experience you have of Spain (or the rest of the world) but any street in a city in Spain is certainly safer than almost every street in a great many cities in the western English speaking world. Any theft threat will be by guile and not physical intimidation or attack. More likely from fellow students.

Best wishes.

• jacquisuiza's Profile Photo

by jacquisuiza Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 8:42 AM

It depends on the season you will stay in Malaga. During the summer months you would like to open the windows to sleep and it can be very very noisy if there are bars and restaurants in the neighborhood. But I would always stay in the city center.

by tifolie Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 9:00 AM

WomBatt wrote:
    All I can offer additionally is - You can see the length of Calle San Juan de Letran on google street view.

Thank you so much...she is living in Paris right now so I am sure she will feel comfortable here. Thanks again for your help.

by tifolie Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 9:01 AM

jacquisuiza wrote:
    It depends on the season you will stay in Malaga.

Thanks so much. She will stay here in the city centre...it will be for the month of May. Very happy that I could get a few answers on such short notice!

• taticarrere's Profile Photo

by taticarrere Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 9:23 AM

i live in Pedregalejo near the lenguaje schooll and i would recoment you t o stay near by. Most student stay in the area and spend after classes time at beach just 5 minutes from most schools. Mainly in summer time is the best place to stay. If you want further information particulary contact
    with me by e-mail i can help you. taticarrere@yahoo.es

by tifolie Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 9:26 AM

taticarrere wrote:
    i live in Pedregalejo near the lenguaje schooll and i would recoment you t o stay near by. Most student stay in the area and spend after classes time at 

Thanks so much!  I have found that students are choosing both city centre and also near beach. I think that she will now decide to choose city centre but I will email you. Thanks!

by fusune7 Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 2:41 AM

This will be my first time in Malaga as well, so can't help, sorry. If you ever need to know anything about my hometown-Istanbul-would be more than happy to help .

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines