Mal País Travel Answers

change location

danger in mal pais, costa rica?

by joga23 Online Now Aug 21, 2003 at 3:28 PM

hello, i am interested in visiting mal pais and have recently heard contrasting rumors from 2 different friends - one says that it is a drug infested place where american women have been killed while the other insists nothing like that is happening and it one of the most beautiful places in the world. I am generally not a frightened traveler and have been many places around the world alone. Does anyone have an opinion on this either way? I would really appreciate your input. Thanks, Amy

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Re: danger in mal pais, costa rica?

by billrice56 Online Now Aug 24, 2003 at 8:09 AM

The real danger in Mal Pais or any other place is the failure to use good judgement. I lived in Nicoya Sur for 2 yrs. Same ratio of low lifes to normals as any other place. In laymens terms, don't get blasted and follow some local off to "private" party!!! I moved to the Caribbean coast, a little more developed but many more things to do. Mal Pais revolves around surfing

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Re: danger in mal pais, costa rica?

by funtours Online Now Aug 27, 2003 at 6:56 AM

I do agree...dont get involved with suspicious suspects there and you will be fine...the more secluded a place is the more likely it is a hiding place for all kind of criminals...but you dont need to party with them...

• Re: danger in mal pais, costa rica?

by luetten Online Now Aug 30, 2003 at 11:51 PM

hi, sorry to hear about the rumors, but i´ve lived in malpais for 4 years (till august 2002) and i don´t know anything about this "killing". it´s definitly a safe place for women. but if you get wasted and start walking around topless..there will be no garantuee..you know, wherever you travel, mostly it depends on your behaviour what´s going to happen. i´ve seen some drugged or drunken girls there just asking to be picked up. Another detail to think about: 98% of the locals don´t take any drugs. so if it´s drug infested then who is using the drugs? i met too many tourists who came to costa rica just because it´s so much cheaper. if you travel to see a beautiful nature, meet nice people and have a good time while surfing/scuba diving/horsebackriding it´s definitly a great place to be. Actually the best i found in traveling the world within the last 10 years. have a great time and use common sense..

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines