Makassar Travel Answers

change location
arissyam's Profile Photo

The best area to stay?..

by arissyam Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Hi,

i'll be travelling alone from KL to Makassar.. will be arriving around 23rd March 2013..

i) Which area is the best for me to stay in Makassar? Losari? Pasar Ikan? Town Centre?
ii) How many days should i allocate for travelling Makassar -Tana Toraja - Makassar?
iii) Where is the best place to shop for local crafts and souveneirs?

Tq
Syam Aris
Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Daihappydai's Profile Photo

Re: The best area to stay?..

by Daihappydai Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Travel by bus from Makassar to Rantepeo (Tana Toraja) takes eight hours. There are many overnight buses, quite comfortable, and many will drop you at your accommodation of choice. It is worth travelling one way by night and one way by day.
    Five days in Tana Toraja gives you a good opportunity to see much of the area, with a bit of down time, and a good chance of seeing a funeral.
    There are two very good art shops in Rantepeo selling traditional craft. There are also a couple of souvenir shops in central Makassar.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: The best area to stay?..

by bebekbetutu Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 11:36 PM

In Makassar the area around Somba Opa is nice,,,lively and some good hotels.

In Rantepao you will find lots of shops selling local souvenirs, t-shirts and wood carvings. I agree with the previous answer, 5 days is a good time to see a lot of sights. Cafe Aras is a good place to meet other tourists..it's one of the nicest cafes in Rantepao.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines