Maine Travel Answers

change location

October travel to Maine

by tvlwk Online Now Jul 4, 2010 at 12:36 PM

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip in October (the week of the 18th) to celebrate his birthday. We are considering Maine (specifically Bar Harbor and the surrounding area) since neither of us have been before. We would probably spend 4 or 5 days, and are just looking for a relaxing time to explore the area, enjoy the local scenery, dining etc. What can we expect weather wise, and any suggestions on where to stay?

We would prefer an inn or hotel, something a little more upscale, yet not extravagant. I have begun to do some research, but any suggestions would be helpful.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: October travel to Maine

by goodfish Online Now Jul 4, 2010 at 4:47 PM

You really don't want to go after Columbus Day - much of Bar Harbor closes down for the the season. We were there in late Sept/early Oct and it was perfect: the summer season crowds had gone, hotel rates a bit better and comfortable weather with no bugs. The cruise ships still unload hordes of people daily but if you're hiking Acadia, you can lose most of them.

It can be shirtsleeves to light jacket to jacket/fleece weather - depends on wind/fog/rain. Dress in layers and you'll be fine.

We stayed in a motel (nice one) so can't help you with upscale accommodations.

See my Acadia and Cranberry Island pages for more on the park, Little Cranberry Island (highly recommended), area restaurants and such.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Jul 4, 2010 at 7:46 PM

John, they don't have a paid trip-planning service anymore, and this borders on advertising.

You don't need a paid trip planner to visit Bar Harbor and surrounds. There's plenty of information here on VT, on the web, on the Acadia National Park website and in various guidebooks. You could easily spend all 4-5 days just on Mt Desert Island and immediate area.

• JeanneP's Profile Photo

by JeanneP Online Now Jul 12, 2010 at 7:39 AM

Yes

The State of Maine Tourism has a web site as well as nps.gov

Do not be wary of going after Oct 12, 2010 as you will then be able to see the laid back, native style of Maine.

I would stay close to Brunswick, Boothbay or Acadia or all of these, but that is just my preference. Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum is also a delight.

• JeanneP's Profile Photo

by JeanneP Online Now Jul 12, 2010 at 11:49 AM

A friend of mine recommended the "BlueNose Inn". The dining room is pretty.

It is expensive in-season.

I work too hard for my$$ for that, so to each hisown/// Right??

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines