Maine Travel Answers

change location

Road trip to Maine

by mmccool99 Online Now Mar 29, 2010 at 2:31 PM

This august my husband and I are driving from Michigan to Maine. We are heading to Moosehead Lake where I have family. He has never seen the coast of Maine so I am looking for some suggestions on some good stops along HWY 1. We will have limited time and also dogs with us. Any sugestions for some good picturesque spots, maybe a picnic area, lighthouse? Help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Sematay's Profile Photo

Re: Road trip to Maine

by Sematay Online Now Mar 29, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Rt. 1 is a beautiful scenic drive but also miles of nothing on the way. Not sure about a lighthouse, I have taken that drive many times and just stopped along the way when I've seen a cozy place for lunch or a nice beach. What time of year are you going, and how big are your dogs? The reason I ask is because dogs are not allowed on the beach during the summer season (typically after Memorial Day) but are allowed on the beach on the off season. If your dogs are like mine, they'll love the beach!

Have fun!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • JeanneP's Profile Photo

Re: Road trip to Maine

by JeanneP Online Now Apr 12, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Any questions just ask.
    The most famous lighthouse (Nubble) is in York Maine. The second is in South Portland, Maine, which was a Hopper painting as well. Sorry to be so brief.

The drawback is the coastal route is very very far from Moosehead Lake, esp. after driving all the from Michigan.

By the way, both lighthouses have adjacent park, facilities, dog area etc, but the South Portland Head Light has much more spacious grounds and loads of parking. Maybe you will just want to go here and skip York, Maine. The hours quoted here are just the museum as the grounds are always open. http://www.portlandheadlight.com/

Happy Travels !

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines