Maine Travel Answers

change location

Best Place in Maine to Rent a Cottage?

by Dxk941 Online Now Feb 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Hello all!

I am graduating from college and my family wishes to rent a cottage in Maine this August as send-off. I will be traveling with my parents and my sister for a week, give or take a day. There seem to be ton of options for cottage rentals, can anyone help us narrow it down? We are looking for:

- a relatively nice and private cottage,
- South Coast or Midcoast,
- Not too busy of a town,
- ideally on an island near a town but not in the middle of it.
- we don't need a sandy beach; rocky beaches and nice scenery are good enough!

Where should we start looking?

Also, does anyone know a good website for cottage rentals? There seem to be a lot, and I'm not sure which ones are trustworthy...

Thanks,

David

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Best Place in Maine to Rent a Cottage?

by goodfish Online Now Feb 6, 2012 at 6:38 PM

I would highly recommend taking a look at Mt Desert Island. Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor are on the island, and while both can be busy, there are smaller, quieter corners for rentals that will have you within an easy drive of restaurants, lobster pounds, lovely harbors and exploring the park.

We have only stayed in Bar Harbor but have explored the rest of the island and I think you'd find the type of scenery and amenities you're looking for there

I have not booked any of the rentals on the site below but have had it bookmarked for years as we fully intend to someday. Another good resource is VRBO.com: we've used that one for rentals in other U.S. locations and been happy with the results, Still, I think I'd look at the one I'm including here first as it's local and been around for years so must be reputable.

acadiamagic.com/acadia-lodgi...

Do be aware that not all the rentals they list are ON the island (some are close by but on the mainland) so check locations carefully. Northeast and Southwest Harbor listings ARE on the island, and listings could be noted as Bar Harbor but be outside of the town enough for your liking.

You can find a Mt. Desert Island map here:

purplemirage.net/Maine2007/d...

Acadia National Park is gorgeous - well worth exploring - but the ocean water is pretty cold so not sure about swimming in it. Some of the internal bodies of water (i.e. Somes Sound, Echo Lake, Long Pond) allow swimming and would be warmer/safer than the often turbulent ocean shores.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • AnaMM's Profile Photo

Re: Best Place in Maine to Rent a Cottage?

by AnaMM Online Now Feb 6, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Island? I'll recommend you check into Vinalhaven (via ferry no bridge) which is more remote, scenic, hiking, etc. It's more 'rustic' as an island. As for where to stay, here's a link to give you a start: www.vinalhavenislandrentals.com/

• Re: Best Place in Maine to Rent a Cottage?

by Dxk941 Online Now Feb 12, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Thanks for these suggestions! I'm going to look into them.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Maine Travel Answer Locations