Maine Travel Answers

change location
oklibrarian's Profile Photo

Weather and Dress

by oklibrarian Online Now Aug 18, 2011 at 1:01 PM

My hubby wanted me to ask what the weather is like in the New England area in early to mid-October. In Oklahoma we are better equipped to deal with the heat than the cold, so we could use also use tips on what to wear and what to pack. Thanks. I appreciate your kindness.

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Weather and Dress

by goodfish Online Now Aug 18, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Hi there -
    It may be helpful to know what kind of vacationing you'll be doing in Maine, and where you think you'll be going? Dressing for spending a lot of time outdoors hiking or walking will be different from dressing for cities where you intend to do a lot of inside activities, like museums.

So, do you know which places you'll be visiting and what you are planning to do/see on your trip?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • TexasDave's Profile Photo

by TexasDave Online Now Aug 18, 2011 at 2:48 PM

The weather could go either way but it's more likely to be on the cool side even during the day. Bring clothes you can use in layers so you can adapt accordingly, and be sure to bring some type of waterproof slicker or windbreaker to put on top of everything in case of rain, which is also more likely than not during that time.

• dnwitte's Profile Photo

by dnwitte Online Now Aug 18, 2011 at 3:04 PM

October is hands down the most beautiful time of year to be in New England, but you should be prepared for chilly evenings---maybe even frost in the northern parts and in the mountains--and the distinct possibility of rain. Otherwise, be ready for crisp cool days and possibly an Indian summer heat wave.

• oklibrarian's Profile Photo

by oklibrarian Online Now Aug 18, 2011 at 7:27 PM

We will be doing some light hiking, nothing too strenuous, and we will also be visiting quite a few museums and historical places. From what you and others have said, it sounds like we should be prepared for cool weather and rain. Guess we better take a few hoodies, rain jackets, as well as long and short sleeved garments. Thanks again.

by oklibrarian Online Now Aug 18, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Being from Texas, you know about dealing with changeable weather, like we have in Oklahoma. Sounds like the weather changes a lot in New England, too. Your layer approach sounds like the way to go. Thanks.

by oklibrarian Online Now Aug 18, 2011 at 7:35 PM

So looking forward to the beautiful scenery and folliage! From what you have written here and elsewhere sounds like you are a seasoned traveler and can offer some good advice. Looks like we will be packing a little more heavily this trip to accomodate for the weather changes.

• heywinks's Profile Photo

by heywinks Online Now Aug 22, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Yes, dress in layers. It can be warm during the day and cold at night. Bring long sleeves and hoodies. Have fun in Maine! I love it there!

by oklibrarian Online Now Aug 25, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Thanks for the advice. I have a feeling that I will love Maine, too, after this trip.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Maine Travel Answer Locations