Magdeburg Travel Answers

change location

Need Rail Information Berlin to Magdeburg

by CLoeber Online Now Sep 10, 2006 at 7:30 AM

I am told that I should travel via Inter City rail, (RE?)from Berlin to Magdeburg during my trip next month. I need to know how to reserve tickets for two (1 Class) from Berlin to Magdeburg from here in the USA using the web perhaps. Can someone assist me?

Thanks

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • altamiro's Profile Photo

RE: Need Rail Information Berlin to Magdeburg

by altamiro Online Now Sep 10, 2006 at 7:43 AM

RE = Reagional express. A faster local train. InterCity (IC) is an express train.

>I need to know how to reserve tickets for two (1 Class) from Berlin to Magdeburg from here in the USA using the web perhaps.

You don't need to do that. Buy your tickets when you have arrived at the train station in Berlin. Though you can go to www.bahn.de (click "international guests" for english) and buy your tickets in advance, there is hardly any advantage in doing so except saving 10 min on arrival.

1st class is a waste of money in long distance trains anyway, but it is up to you to decide. The 2nd class is expensive enough.

The tickets are valid for any IC and lower class trains (RE, RB - but it is not useful for this distance) between Berlin and Magdeburg within 4 days (one way ticket) or 1 month (return ticket). An ICE (InterCityExpress) high-speed trains would cost more. You will have all the choices either on the bahn.de website or on arrival.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bijo69's Profile Photo

by bijo69 Online Now Sep 10, 2006 at 7:44 AM

You don't really need to make reservations for travelling 1st class from Berlin to Magdeburg. It's just a short distance (about 1h) and 1st class is always available. You might safe some money though if you buy the ticket at least 3 days in advance. Check out http://www.bahn.de

• altamiro's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Need Rail Information Berlin to Magdeburg

by altamiro Online Now Sep 10, 2006 at 8:22 AM

>You might safe some money though if you buy the ticket at least 3 days in advance.

It is theoretically possible but there are so many strings attached - it has to be a return trip, you have to stay over a Saturday, the ticket is only valid for a certain train... and in addition the number of the discounted tickets are quite low so these sell out fast. Normal price tickets are always available.

• RE: RE: Need Rail Information Berlin to Magdeburg

by CLoeber Online Now Sep 10, 2006 at 11:29 AM

Thanks

• abalada's Profile Photo

by abalada Online Now Sep 10, 2006 at 4:30 PM

There are hourly RE (RegionalExpress) trains from Berlin to Magdeburg.
    Travel time from Berlin Hbf is 1:42.
    There are only a few IC (InterCity) trains, which are only slightly faster.

Reserving seats is generally not compulsory in Germany.
    Seat reservation for an IC trains is possible. On a RE train not at all.

And esp. on RE trains I would recommend not to travel 1st class. There is no real difference to the 2nd class on these trains. Just a different colour of the seats. And the lack of 2nd class passengers. Spent the saved money for something better (a nice meal, ...).

On a Saturday or Sunday you can use the Happy-Weekend-Ticket for this trip. A ticket covering all local trains (e.g. the RE trains) in Germany for one day. only 2nd class. Valid for 1-5 persons. EUR 30,00. Thus the return trip to Magdeburg will cost EUR 30,00 for both of you together.

DB timetable
    reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/qu...
    To: Magdeburg

*) Best to give here the closest train/tram/bus stop in Berlin. It's a huge city. By the way - the Happy-Weekend-Ticket covers also the trams and buses in Berlin.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines