Madurai Travel Answers

change location

panoramic views

by ger4444 Online Now May 24, 2008 at 7:54 PM

i ahve seen beautifull images of the temples of madurai. these were images overviewing the many temples from somewhere upon a buiding. Are there places that offer great views over the temples, are they accessible for tourists? i have heard you cant climb the temples.

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • vdadu's Profile Photo

Re: panoramic views

by vdadu Online Now May 24, 2008 at 9:49 PM

Temples are considered to be 'The sacred' place and therefore, under any circumstances u will not be allowed to climb the temple...It is for sure.

Keep Smiling
    Vivek Dadu

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: panoramic views

by ger4444 Online Now May 24, 2008 at 9:55 PM

yes i alreday thought so. too bad the panorama image looked so amazing

• vdadu's Profile Photo

by vdadu Online Now May 24, 2008 at 10:20 PM

yeah...I do agree that it will be nice but we can't..........Don't get disheartened.

Keep Smiling
    Vivek Dadu

• jethanand's Profile Photo

by jethanand Online Now May 25, 2008 at 7:28 AM

Hi ..

In Hindu culture, all temples, images, monuments and idols are considered objects of worship and admiration. Please dont denigrate them or desecrate them by using them for anything other than their original intended purpose.

If there is no staircase, you should not climb even when you can - I am glad and I thank you very much for asking first. (It is a sad commentary that so many signs everywhere are needed to remind the crowd how to behave)

Peace and love

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now May 25, 2008 at 10:05 AM

Hi Ger,
    unfortunately the beautiful Sree Menakshi temple is undergoing renovation work at the moment and the main parts of the temple are covered, so even from the outside you cannot see much. A tip for future reference though is at no. 30 North Chitrai st (almost opposite the main entrance) there is a 5 storey shop that allows you up onto the balcony on the roof where you have a brilliant view, also good in late afternoon for sunset photos. One problem with this place is you have to talk your way out of the shop. They are trying to sell their goods after all. But be clever and it works, some good pics for free. I shall be putting up my photos in a few days.

by ger4444 Online Now May 25, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Aha! thanks for the tip! oh thats too bad they are in renovation at the moment. but i ll be there in januari 2009 maybe the renovation is done by then. As for Hindi temples being a place for worship, i of course respect that. But i am not of that religion, as a tourist i hope that we can vistit the places without religious purpose. i want to climb the steps at the Palitana temple complex not as a pelgrim, i hope that is possible

• jethanand's Profile Photo

by jethanand Online Now May 25, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Ger ,

If there are restrictions, there will be signs or some person to stop you or guide you and please just obey them. Almost always , Hindu temples welcome visitors (I have visited many christian churches and we all are expected to be respectful).

If there are stairs and they are not closed, there is no reason you cannot climb them. Always, for Hindu temples, please leave foot-wear outside.
    Sometimes there is gender-specific restriction or proper clothing will be specified.

Temples are adorned with art - they are properly objects of admiration - enjoy !

by pfsmalo Online Now May 25, 2008 at 11:55 PM

Ger,
    You do know that the Palitana complex is not in Madurai ?

by ger4444 Online Now May 26, 2008 at 2:27 AM

yep, it is in palitana, it is together with the Madurai complex my favorites

• MichaelFalk1969's Profile Photo

by MichaelFalk1969 Online Now Jun 16, 2008 at 8:48 AM

Hi, any news if the reconstruction of the temple is finished in January/February 2009 ? (that`s when I`m going)

by pfsmalo Online Now Jun 16, 2008 at 10:21 AM

Hi,
    Judging by the work that is going on at the temple, I doubt it'll all be finished, although parts should be. This doesn't stop visitors from entering at all, but does hinder some of the views.

• tayloretc's Profile Photo

by tayloretc Online Now Jul 16, 2008 at 2:09 PM

A lot of those panoramas are taken from the roofs of the shops just outside the walls. Of course, you have to walk through several floors of shop, and trust me, you're not leaving without something...

• MichaelFalk1969's Profile Photo

by MichaelFalk1969 Online Now Jul 17, 2008 at 12:18 AM

so, it is just the same as in Morocoo (:-) (Fes Tanneries!)

these guys are born salesmen ..

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines