Madrid Travel Answers

change location

What to do in Madrid- Spain

by Tomivirg Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Hello travelers, I am a 25 year old girl going to Madrid the next week and I am so excited about it that I don´t really know what should I do first... I will be spending 4 days in the Spanish capital and I would like to explore as much as possible. Would you recommend the touristic bus? Are the flamenco shows worthed? And by the way I would apreciate some suggestions about hotels/hostels more or less in the city center in order to have all the interesting spots quite close. Thanx in advance!

Quote & Answer
14 Answers
  • vtveen's Profile Photo

Re: What to do in Madrid- Spain

by vtveen Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 9:28 AM

You could start reading the Virtual Tourist Travel Guide about Madrid. I'm sure you will find '1000 ideas' about what to do/see. See: Madrid Travel Guide

happy travels Jaap

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I don['t recommend thwe tourist bus either. I found Madrid very easy to explore on foot and by using the Metro (although I only used it once or twice).

It's a lovely city to wander on foot. Definitely go to the Prado. You can get in for free every evening from 6pm, from Monday to Saturday:

"Getting in for nothing: February 2012" - Prado Museum Tip by leics

and you can also get free entry to the Thysson museum on Mondays from 1200-1600:

museothyssen.org/en/thyssen/...

and explore El Retiro:

I didn't bother to go into the royal palace (not my interest) but there are many interesting architectural bits & pieces to find, such as the Mudejar (Muslim) architecture:

"Mudejar architecture." - Architecture Tip by leics

and the rather wonderful 'melting' house:

"Melting ice-cream?" - Architecture Tip by leics">"Melting ice-cream?" - Architecture Tip by leics

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

by rexvaughan Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I would add the Reina Sofía Museum where, in my opinion, the greatest painting of the 20th Century resides: Picasso's "Guernica." It is very close to the Prado and is small and manageable.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 12:35 PM

And it's free Monday to Friday from 1900-2100, Saturdays from 1400-2100 and Sundays from 1000-1900 (plus some specific dates):

museoreinasofia.es/visita/ta...

And I didn't manage to get there. I am still slapping myself about that.

by rexvaughan Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 1:00 PM

leics wrote: And it's free Monday to Friday from 1900-2100, Saturdays from 1400-2100 and Sundays from 1000-1900 (plus some specific dates):

museoreinasofia.es/visita/ta...

And I didn't manage to get there. I am still slapping myself about that.

I can't believe you missed Guernica, leics.  I thought you had been everywhere!  

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Sadly not. Sometimes I simply get too tired...it was very cold when I was in Madrid (February 2012) and on the night I'd planned my free Reina Sofia visit I just wanted to go to bed. But Madrid is a cheapish & easy trip for me, so I can always go again! :-)

• von.otter's Profile Photo

by von.otter Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 1:43 PM

In Madrid, a must visit is the Prado, one the world’s leading museums. (www.museodelprado.es)

Another art museum favorite is the Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza, a museum that traces art’s history from the Middle Ages to the early 20th century. We loved the journey through styles and countries. (www.museothyssen.org)

Take a relaxing stroll through Parque de Retiro, Madrid’s largest green area and a marvelous place for your daughter to run free.

Another fresh, green spot for a lovely stroll is the Madrid Botanical Garden (Real Jardin Botanico) (rjb.csic.es/jardinbotanico/j...">rjb.csic.es/jardinbotanico/j...).

Yet, another park, Parque de Rosales, offers a special sight, the Temple of Debod, an ancient Egyptian temple, see my Madrid Things-To-See Tips for background information about how this unique sight reached the center of Spain.

Take a tour of the Royal Palace of Madrid, a sprawling structure that is packed with 250 years of history; it is considered one of the best in Europe. During the time of your visit the hours are as follows: Monday-Saturday, 9am-6pm; Sundays & holidays, 9am-3pm.

Plaza Mayor, Madrid’s historic square, is the heart and soul of the city. Stroll through this vast space; take lunch in one of its cafés; enjoy the pace of the city as you watch its residents pass by. Again, see my Madrid Things-To-See Tips for added information about this beautiful plaza.

In Barcelona, I would say see all things by Antonio Gaudi, master architect of the Modernizmo Movement, Spain’s version of the Art Nouveau.

A list of must-see Gaudi sights includes Sagrada Familia, a massive cathedral that is the world’s most-visited construction site (www.sagradafamilia.org); Palau Güell, a house-museum that shows us how Gaudi thought a member of the nobility should live (palauguell.cat/fitxa.php?idi...">palauguell.cat/fitxa.php?idi...); Parque Güell, a wonderful park with fanciful touches overlooking the city; Casa Batlló, a house-museum that is a joy of color and movement (www.casabatllo.es/); and Casa Milà, also known as La Pedrera, Catalan for The Quarry, is an apartment house with sample apartment open to the public as well as its fascinating roof (kubic.cat/kc/tours/tour_01.h.... ¡Viva Espana!

by rexvaughan Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Good enough reason to go back to Madrid. I would like to also, but don't know when it will happen.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

by suvanki Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Hi! I'm a bit of a fan of the Hop on Hop off buses - I use them for a first reccy of the city, listen to the commentary, suss out the sights and get my bearings, also usually meet other travellers from other countries. Then I use it as a means of getting to parts of the city. I needed to get to Stadium for a concert and it was ideal to use it to get there - easier for me than metro. Check out mine and other VTers Madrid pages for things to see and do. I'd also recommend a day trip to Toledo.

Have A Great trip, and look forward to reading all about it here later!

• MandeeJC's Profile Photo

by MandeeJC Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 3:59 PM

There are a few other spots in Madrid that are a lot of fun as well. The museums are awesome, as are the parks. When I was there 2 summers ago we went to the zoo and aquarium. It was definitely interesting to see a foreign zoo.. standards for captivity and the ability to walk right into the pens (yes.. I saw someone hop the 2 foot fence to go pet a moose... being from Canada I was in SHOCK... and don't recommend doing that). There are some cool things to do there like feed the giraffes, walk with lemurs, etc. There is an amusement park en route to the zoo as well that looked fun, but we never went. If you head out of town via metro and then bus, you can get to an amazing waterpark with tons of waterslides. It's too bad that you can't see the bull fights anymore (please don't hate me animal rights people... I did feel bad for the bulls and do think that it is somewhat cruel) as they were definitely a cultural highlight on my trip. On a side note... if you plan to purchase something from vendors that have their wares displayed on tarps on the ground in the parks, take a look out for the police first. It is actually illegal for you to purchase "fakes" and knock-offs. If a cop shows up they will take off QUICKLY (illegal for them too) and you could face a fine! Make sure that you weigh the risks before any purchases!

Have fun! It's a BEAUTIFUL city with lots to do!

• Re: What to do in Madrid- Spain

by Martinway Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Besides the touristic spots if you manage well your time you could also try a flamenco show or a musical like the super famous The Lion King. Then you could also go for a day trip to cities next to Madrid like Toledo or Aranjuez. About hostels I´ve stayed in a really nice one located right in the city center, it´s called Hostel la Plata, this is their website www.hostal-laplata.com/en the rooms are clean and newely redecorated and the staff very helpful! :)

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 12:56 PM

well Madrid is special not only visit often but used to lived there for four years;;;; just came back from it today lol!!!

there is plenty for younger generation at chueca off Sol and Latina, along fuencarral street or calle fuencarral, and the plaza mayor on both sides of it, its a laberynth of goodies ,and just had another blast there.

The prado museum was hopping Van Gogh exhibition has been extended, huge success full of Chinese visitors lol! Naval museum had a long line of folks all around my old area, and it seem the city knows no crisis after all ,incredible activity. The madrid city bus is a way to see the main points if on a short visit, saw it in action all around Prado. Flamenco is one of the things folks have always come to Spain and in Madrid the best perform, however if wants to see a real one go to this pena or groupies its great for your age too

http://www.hostal-laplata.com/en/

very inexpensive hostels around Sol,, my younger days favorite is still near there Hostal La Plata at Gran Via 15 see above. You can walk easily to major sites as well as the bus,

Hope it helps

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 12:59 PM

well new VT dont know why the flamenco pena did not show up above, here it is http://www.kanalduende.com/

you will be in real local Madrid. cheers

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines