Madeira Island Travel Answers

change location
Miguelzgz's Profile Photo

Are certain things cheaper than in main-land Portugal?

by Miguelzgz Online Now Oct 14, 2009 at 3:30 AM

Hello all.
We have booked our flight to Madeira. I wonder if Madeira island has an special tax system like the Canary Islands have compared to Spain.
We are not much into buying things when travelling, but if there is a good discount...we should check some items.

In the canary islands you can buy perfums, alcohol or electronics and some other things much more cheaper than in mainland Spain...so I guess it would be a good oportunity to buy the christmas presents.

Thank you for any info.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • SOLODANCER's Profile Photo

Re: Are certain things cheaper than in main-land Portugal?

by SOLODANCER Online Now Oct 14, 2009 at 7:56 AM

I'm not sure that the island itself imposes an extra tax or 'special tax system' as you call it in relation to the overall economics with mainland Portugal.

Because Madeira stands as an autonomous region vis-a-vis with Portugal, it's quite possible that the island adheres to a particularly self-designated as well as in conjunction tax code system with the mainland.

Know that like any island-life insularity, most goods are imported into Madeira thus making most basic prices costier than the mainland. The stuff that are cheaper and are of good value as far as gifts and souvenirs are concerned are those definitely produced and made right in the island such as: Madeira lace, wicker baskets, Madeira wines and other handicrafts.

Be assured as well that Madeira would be cheaper than Spain definitely.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Miguelzgz's Profile Photo

by Miguelzgz Online Now Oct 14, 2009 at 8:21 AM

Thanks solodancer. In Spain our govern, knowing that living in the islands is more expensive(as you said, they must buy and transport everything), they gave a long ago a special tax system. All those things that are higly "taxed": gasoline, alcohol, tobacco, perfums....are not taxed there(not so higly at least), so it is a great deal to buy it there. There is a limitation in the ammount allowed to carry when you leave, off course.

• cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Oct 15, 2009 at 3:01 AM

That's right - Madeira is considered part of Mainland Portugal and as such there is no special tax regime I am aware of.

The Canary Islands are outside the EU common tax area and that's why you can't bring the usual quantities of goods out of the islands.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines