Madeira Island Travel Answers

change location

Honeymoon and walking/treking east coast Jan 2007 and clothing

by MDKEN Online Now Nov 6, 2006 at 7:54 AM

Can anyone say how much rain there will be. Can I expect sun. When it rains is very bad(quantify if possible). What type of clothing to make life comfortable. Light waterproofs trousers and jackets etc.

Can the rain a make days walk not practical etc. The idea is to walk each day to a different hotel and our bags follow etc.

Any information is gratefully received to make the honeymoon a success

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • donamaro's Profile Photo

RE: Honeymoon and walking/treking east coast Jan 2007 and clothing

by donamaro Online Now Dec 2, 2006 at 3:33 AM

In the month of January the average temperature can be of 16 ºC ... but it depends on the location and altitude. Madeira has a micro-climate and therefore it can vary from one side of the island to the other side. For example ... Ponta do Sol it can be very sunny ... as for Pico Arieiro it can be freezing cold .... and the North coast of the island it can be cloudy and very windy. The weather conditions may also change very suddenly ... so that a beautiful sunny walk can change into a misty or rainy experience.

Type of clothing ... I would suggest lightweight raingear .... preferably breathable Gore Tek clothing. Please concentrate on your footwear .... I strongly recommend to wear walking boots with a heavy profile sole. The paths can become extremely slippery and in some sections of the walks a good ankle support can be a good option.

Extra sweaters just in case the temperature may drop or getting into foggy weather (again .... we have a micro-climate here).

Also pair of good walking stick / poles is advisable to take with you ... but I assume that you both are experienced hikers/walkers.

For more information about Madeira (walking, locations, references etc.) check the following websites .... as a starting point:

http://del.icio.us/madeira
    http://madeira.eigenstart.nl

I hope this info could help you somewhat ....

Happy seasons and ... in advance congratulations ... enjoy!

Cumprimentos,

Don Amaro

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines