Madeira Island Travel Answers

change location

Madeira Foods

by patrick68 Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Will be travelling to Madeira and wanted to know what to expect in terms of Madeiran foods. Are restaurants good there? I will be staying in Funchal but i am planning on renting a car and touring the island. Are restaurants easy to find outside of Funchal? I have been searching and i have found lots but the majority are in the city. Any tips? thanks

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Re: Madeira Foods

by cachaseiro Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 5:16 PM

You have plenty of restaurants also in the smaller places.
    Madeira is an island that attracts a lot of upscale tourists so you have quite a few very decent restaurants on the island.
    You should not miss the Espada fish when you are on Madeira.
    It's a very tasty fish that is caught off the coast of Madeira and one of the local specialities.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I has been quite a while since we were in Madeira, but we stopped for meals at different places around the island, so I would expect that this will not have changed at all.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Re: Madeira Foods

by tanialuis77 Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 4:20 AM

You shouldn't have any problems at all in finding restaurants and even snack bars pretty much anywhere in Madeira, of course if you stick to the more "touristy" zones rather than driving around the "serra" (forrest) areas. I would recommend you do not drive too far away from main villages. You can find some really nice restaurants in Porto Moniz, Calheta, São Vicente and Santana which are the places further away from Funchal. Be prepared to eat very traditional foods when outside of Funchal. Espetada, Espada, Bacalhau are what you will mainly find on menus. Try the bolo do caco with garlic butter...always goes down a treat! If you go to it will give you a bit more info about typical dishes to expect when you are over there. They also have a list of restaurants that you can find in each of Madeira's cities which should help you. Enjoy your holiday!

Be the first to rate this answer!

• smonteiromota's Profile Photo

by smonteiromota Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 4:53 AM

If the restaurants were good?? Hey, it all depends of the money you will be willing to spend! but in this country, even with some coins you can eat real nice food!
    You will find, at every village of the island, a place to eat. Some of that places are famous for a type of food.
    I recommend to try this food:
    "Lapas" - Limpets, it's a seafood tipical of the island. They put the shell at the grill and put butter and lemon juice over it.
    "Picadinho" - This is a stewed dish with lots of sauce, it can be of veal, pork or octopus. it comes with chips. (i tryed a good one at S. Vicente near the beach).
    "Espetada" - Grilled veal cubes.
    "Espada" - Sword fish, can be fried or grilled.

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines