change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Vatslav1107's Profile Photo

We will go in January to Morondavu-your consultations are necessary

Morondava Nov 10, 2015 at 5:46 AM

Prompt please, what beaches near Morondava. Where you will recommend beach rest in Morondava? What you will advise on inexpensive housing?

1 Answer Nov 10, 2015 at 9:08 AM
    • Poling's Profile Photo

internet access

Madagascar Sep 23, 2015 at 1:11 AM

I would like to know if I get a sim card with data plan, how good is the signal in some national parks? Or in general only big cities will have signals?
      Will be in Tana, The Tsingy, Ifaty, Isalo NP, Ranomafana NP, Antsirabe.
      Thank you!

3 Answers Oct 14, 2015 at 6:39 AM
    • Poling's Profile Photo

appropriate tipping and some food expenses

Madagascar Sep 16, 2015 at 8:04 AM

We are a group of 2, please give me some ideas about tippings at Madagascar. thank you !

Tour Guide
      NP guide (half day/full day)
      park Guide (is that same as NP guide ?)
      hotel porter
      drinking water
      lunch/meal (average )

5 Answers Sep 23, 2015 at 1:33 AM
    • Poling's Profile Photo

What clothing to pack?

Madagascar Sep 16, 2015 at 6:00 AM

I will be in Madagascar two weeks later and go Bekopaka, Ifaty, Ranomafana and Antsirabe.Would someone let me know what should I pack? Thank you.

4 Answers Sep 22, 2015 at 11:37 AM
    • Poling's Profile Photo

Isalo NP vs Zombitse National Park

Madagascar Sep 13, 2015 at 6:08 AM

Due to some miscommunication, I have my Isalo Park duration shorten from one day to half day. Then I have Zombitse NP as the enroute. Since I will have Ranomafana NP, Anja Reserve, Kirindy Reserve, Analamazotra NP and Peyreiras Reserve. I would like to know if I can skip Zombitse? Thanks.

3 Answers Sep 14, 2015 at 8:33 PM
    • Poling's Profile Photo

Money Exchange

Madagascar Sep 13, 2015 at 5:56 AM

Normally, the exchange rate at airport is not that good. Where in Tana can I get my Euro be exchanged in Ar? Thanks.

4 Answers Sep 13, 2015 at 11:19 AM
    • Poling's Profile Photo

Morondava to Tulear/Ifaty (possible to do by car?)

Madagascar Aug 20, 2015 at 5:36 PM

Day 1: Morondava to Manja and Day 2: Manja to Ifaty

I have various answers from local agents about the above arrangement. Some said it can do by two full-day drive, while more tend to say without 3 to 4 days it's impossible. First of all why I have such request to the agents is that I want to avoid taking domestic flight (price is not a problem but it is not reliable). Secondly I would rather tour back from the south (ie Tulear) back Tana via the RN7 by car (again, avoiding flight) as I need to catch my flight back the other day.

I don't know which side of the agent should I trust. Madagascar road condition is not a thing that I can expect like other places. Please help me for this. Thank you.

3 Answers Aug 21, 2015 at 6:39 PM
    • Poling's Profile Photo

Any local food that I can bring home?

Madagascar Aug 15, 2015 at 6:47 AM

I would like to explore is there any local food product that can represent Madagascar?
      (eg we buy pineapple cake from Taiwan, apricot preserve from Turkey, chocolate from Belgium etc.)

7 Answers Sep 14, 2015 at 1:17 AM
    • Poling's Profile Photo

visa on arrival

Madagascar Aug 6, 2015 at 5:09 AM

How much is it and how long does it take? What documents and how many photos are needed? Thanks.

5 Answers Aug 16, 2015 at 9:13 PM
    • kathymof's Profile Photo

How much coconut (all products) are in the cuisine?

Madagascar Jul 12, 2015 at 2:04 PM

A friend has invited me to travel to Madagascar with her but I am concerned about my allergy to coconut products (coconut, coconut water/milk, coconut oil). How prominent are coconut products in the diet? Is it possible to avoid them in the cuisine or is it in everything like it is in Cambodia? If I asked for food without coconut products, would the cook understand or would I be taking a big risk.

3 Answers Aug 14, 2015 at 4:19 AM
    • Poling's Profile Photo

Nosy Be, Le Sainte Marie or Ifaty?

Madagascar Jul 9, 2015 at 5:50 AM

Want a bit of the beautiful beach in Madagascar, which one of them is recommended? Or in other words, what are the difference? That would help me to plan my route. My travelling period is from late Sep to early Oct. Thank you.

1 Answer Aug 16, 2015 at 9:13 PM
    • Poling's Profile Photo

How likely to see whales

Madagascar Jun 27, 2015 at 8:10 PM

According to my tentative plan, I will be in Sainte Marie from 26/9 to 28/9. I was told there is still 70% to see whales. I would like to know if it is the case? Thank you.

• Poling's Profile Photo

Price of domestic flight of Air Madagascar

Madagascar Jun 27, 2015 at 5:53 AM

Would someone help me to check the fare for the below route? The website of Air Madagascar blocks access from Asia.
      1. Tana to Morondava
      2. Tulear to Tana
      3. Tana to Nosybe (round trip)

Very much thanks for the help.

4 Answers Jun 27, 2015 at 8:05 PM
    • Poling's Profile Photo

Planning for a 2-week trip with guide

Madagascar Jun 23, 2015 at 6:48 PM

Basically my plan is to go with a tour operator (guide + car) for visiting the following in 14 days:
      Tsingy de Bemaraha National park (3days)
      Morondava (Avenue of the Baobabs)
      Isalo National Park (3 days)
      Manakara (by train)
      Pangalane Channel
      Ranomafana National Park

1. My holidays will be from late Sept to early Oct so I wonder if I should cut a day or two from the above and go to see whales?
      2. despite that I will rely on my tour operator to arrange the trip for me, any other things that I should pay attention and ask them in specific?
      3. I heard that Air Madagascar is not reliable. From Hong Kong the other best option seems to be Air Kenya. Any comments on Air Kenya? It takes almost 24hours from HK to TRN.

Thanks in advance.

5 Answers Aug 16, 2015 at 9:13 PM
    • Madagascar - your tips please

Madagascar May 25, 2015 at 4:38 AM

I would like to ask you for tips in regards what tour operator to use when travelling to Madagascar and what countries I can visit on my way there? I have read that it is best to travel via Paris and fly to Mauritius and from there continue travelling to Madagascar? This way I can visit both countries. Or does anybody have other tips what countries to visit on my way there?
      Also, are you aware of any tour operator which is run locally in Madagascar? I have looked at UK Explorer etc but I think I would prefer a private tour. So far I have found - does anybody have any experience with them? And does anybody have any tips about places in Madagascar other than promoted by the 'typical' travel agencies? So far, I have decided to go the capital, visit several parks to see lemurs, go canoeing and visit several beaches. I would, however, also like to see more of the culture - such as visiting local villages - does anybody have any tips where to go please to get the real experience?

6 Answers Aug 14, 2015 at 1:56 AM
    • anoukmulder's Profile Photo

Trekking in North Madagascar

Madagascar May 21, 2015 at 7:20 AM

I am super excited to be traveling to Madagascar this summer, thrilled to finally go to one of my top dream destinations! One of the reasons I'm going is that I can do a 6-week medical internship there (I'll graduate med school this year). Before that I'll have 3 weeks of free time, and during the first week I'm hoping to do a hike / trekking with my boyfriend in the Northern part of Madagascar (around Diego Suarez). I've been searching the internet for advice or a good pre-booked trip, but haven't found much yet. Any advice or tips is greatly appreciated!

My itiniary:
      - Day 1-2: flight from Amsterdam - Tana
      - Day 4-5: travel to Nose-Be by taxi brousse
      - Day 6-15: hiking
      - Day 16-23: kitesurfing in Emerald Bay
      - Day 24-25: taxi brousse to Tana, boyfriend take flight back to Amsterdam
      - Day 26-47: medical intership in hospital in Tana
      - Day 48-69: medical internship in Beroroha
      - Day 50: flight back to Amsterdam

Our wishes for the trekking
      - about 4-7 hours of hiking per day (we are both in good physical -and mental haha - condition, and we're used to long hikes).
      - basic lodging facilities, tent camps are very ok :-)
      - we love to taste foreign cuisine, no western cooking please!
      - we're interested in madagascar landscape, nature and great views
      - we're not interested in visiting local villages (i'll see plenty of that during my internship), factories of handycraft shops
      - our budget for the trekking is €1000 max

Many thanks in advance for your replies!

6 Answers Aug 14, 2015 at 4:46 AM
    • Antananarivo to Morandava

Antananarivo May 19, 2015 at 8:44 AM

Is it possible to take a bus from Antananarivo to Morandava? The flights seemed expensive for my budget. I can also sleep somewhere if need be if the drive is too long.

3 Answers Jun 14, 2015 at 12:46 PM
    • Ambatofotsy

Madagascar May 17, 2015 at 12:16 PM

Hi, we are travelling from Tana to Fianar and would like to stop at some interesting villages, we have read that Ambatofotsy is nice and not too far from Tana, we were thinking of starting our journey straight from the airport but wanted the first stop to be less than 3 hours drive ( we plan to hire car and driver). After the train. we will have about a week to travel back up the country, were thinking a few days (1 or 2) on Pangalanes Canal, any other must dos?
      We are a family of 4, children are 14 and 16, we have our last of 3 weeks on Sainte Maire - that's the only part booked and sorted! We arrive 15 August. Thanks in advance for any hints or tips.

5 Answers Aug 14, 2015 at 6:03 AM
    • Madagascar Trekking

Madagascar Apr 7, 2015 at 5:07 PM

I'm going to Madagascar this summer and wonder how safe it is for a woman travelling alone around the country?

Also, as I'm a bit nervous about heading off on my own I'm considering joining a group trekking tour. I'd love to do some challenging trekking, but at low cost. Does anyone know of companies that offer good value trekking trips from 14-21+ days?

Thank you!

3 Answers May 28, 2015 at 8:23 AM
    • Advice on itinerary and transportation

Madagascar Mar 24, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Hello everyone!

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Madagascar this August, but we have some unsolved questions we hope some of you can helps us answer. We are both in our mid 20's and experienced travellers.

First of all, we have planned the following itinerary. Is it too ambitious? Should we rent a driver in Antananarivo for the first 16 days, or is it easier/cheaper to find a driver from place to place?

Day 1: Antananarivo

Day 2: Going to Fianarantsoa/Ambaiavao

Day 3-5: Trekking in Andringitra national park

Day 6: Going to Antsirabe

Day 7: Antsirabe - Morondava

Day 8: Arranging 4 day tour to Tsingy de bemaraha

Day 9-12: Tsingy de bemaraha

Day 13: Relax in Morondava

Day 14+15: Going back to Antananarivo

Day 16: Going to Ile aux nattes

Day 17-21: Ile aux nattes

Day 22: Back to Antananarivo

Day 23-25: Buffer days

Is it possible to get from Antananarivo to ile aux nattes in one day with bus? (they explain about a fancy new bus in the Bradt guide, not so expensive). Also, we have a maximum budget of 1300 euros/1500 US dollars. Is that realistic? We travel with a tent and do not stay fancy places, but always double rooms.

If anyone know good local tour companies to Tsingy de bemaraha and Andringritra, it would be very welcome :)

We really hope some of you experienced Madagascar travellers have a few minutes to leave a reply :)

Best regards

2 Answers May 3, 2015 at 4:53 AM
    • 3 weeks in north of Mada over Christmas (Dec-Jan) - itinerary, overland travel and rainy season?

Madagascar Nov 4, 2014 at 7:05 AM

Hi there,

My husband and I are planning a 3 week holiday to Madagascar. It's our first time to Mada and, as we are quite impulsive, we forgot to check the weather conditions prior to booking our flights!

We know that it's the rainy season but we've heard varying things about what that actually means. As the trip is basically going to be our honeymoon, we'd really like to spend some time relaxing in Nosy Be, so we're thinking we'll focus on the north. We're also hoping to not spend too much money, so we're considering flying into either Nosy Be or Diego Suarez and then traveling overland to the other location. From either Nosy Be or Diego Suarez, we are considering taking a series of taxi brousses back to Tana, but I can't find much information on whether or not this is feasible. I am a seasoned traveler, have extensive experience using local transport and can get around (ish) in French, but my husband is less keen on local transport and would like to limit the amount of time in transit (i.e. he's fine with spending a day in a taxi brousse but would like things to break up the journey). He's also willing to hire a driver but I'd rather avoid that to be honest, if at all possible!

Is there anything to see between, say, Nosy Be and Tana and could you potentially travel this distance in a taxi brousse? I know that overland travel can take a very long time so any estimates would be useful.

In addition, we're planning on avoiding the eastern coast due to the weather, but any thoughts on whether Diego Suarez and its surrounds will be massively affected? We're absolutely fine with some heavy rain for a few hours here and there but don't want to get stuck in one place for days on end in a rainstorm.

We're obviously fairly early in our planning but any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated! :) Thanks.

5 Answers Nov 19, 2014 at 6:48 AM
    • BE001903's Profile Photo

Which places to visit 3 weeks Madagascar

Madagascar Oct 26, 2014 at 11:10 AM

We are looking into a 3 week holiday to Madagascar in May. Which places should we absolutely visit. What are the 'must do s '? Any other tips are welcome. We love nature, culture, couleur locale. We're not into long difficult hikes but rather easy 3-4 hours walks.

1 Answer Oct 26, 2014 at 12:39 PM
    • 3 week trip in Oct/Nov

Madagascar Sep 22, 2014 at 5:52 AM

Hi there,

We arrive in Tana on 25th Oct and fly home on 16th Nov. We are a couple that are used to travelling on a fairly low budget and are looking for some advice and tips on getting around Madagascar and what to see, do etc. The rough plan we have is to head from Tana to Morondava first (spend a couple of days or so around there) and then backtrack to the RN7 and make our way down to Toliara over the next 2 weeks before making a beeline back to Tana.

So I guess some of the main points we would like to know are:

journey times by bus (or taxi-brousse) between Tana and Morondava and then from there to Antsirabe or Ambositra. Also approx cost.
      journey time by bus or taxi-brousse from Toliara back to Tana in one journey, also approx cost.
      any tips for a beach side place to stay around Morondava and again in Toliara.

Along the RN7 we are intending to stop at Ranomafana NP, Andringitra NP and Isalo NP. We will have camping gear and intend to do some trekking (Especially at Andringitra). Any tips for these places would be great and also any other suggestions for stops on the way down?

We have not even thought about the costs of the trip and are not really concerned since next to the astronomical cost of the flight to get there it cannot be bad but any recent visitors that can share some rough costs would be helpful also.

2 Answers Sep 22, 2014 at 1:47 PM
    • Most useful currency to take

Madagascar Sep 20, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I am going to Madagascar for 16 days in mid October with an English walking and sightseeing group. All our accommodation and main meals have been prepaid. I understand the local currency can be obtained once in the country. I will need some extra spending money for national park entrance fees (we are visiting 4 or 5), tips, snacks, drinks, etc. What main currency would you recommend taking - e.g. euros, US dollars? I am taking my Visa bank card (sterling) for use in the towns, hotels. Thanks for any advice.

4 Answers Sep 20, 2014 at 2:54 PM
    • What would you to if you had a ticket to Madagascar but no itinerary?

Madagascar Aug 16, 2014 at 12:22 PM

My husband and I are will land in Madagascar on September 16th. Wish list: open markets, staying in beach bungalows, peek into Famadihan ritual, beach, snorkeling, vanilla/coffee farms and hiking to see one-of-kind animals.

How would you approach planning the trip? Top 3 things to do/see/experience in Madagascar? Need help to choose our best adventure.

Any personal tips from experience would be much appreciated! So much to do and discover, we are finding it a bit overwhelming to choose.

6 Answers Apr 21, 2015 at 11:54 PM
    • Camping Equipment

Madagascar Jul 1, 2014 at 3:10 AM

Hello, I am planing on spending 6 weeks in Madagascar backpacking across the whole country, I am planing on camping in several parks and doing over night tours. My question is if I need to bring things like my own tent or if they are usually provided by the tour company. I don know how much is provided by the guided tours so I am having difficulty knowing what to get and what I shouldn't.

9 Answers Jul 18, 2014 at 8:52 AM
    • Whales in Madagascar

Madagascar Jun 18, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Hello my name is Diego, I have been planning to go to Madagascar from September to October visiting the north, West, South, Central and a little of the eastern side. I am glad I have chosen this time of the year since it keeps coming up how good it is. There are two main things I want to do, to watch the humpback whales and snorkel with the whale sharks. I am aware that the best place to watch the humpback whales is in Sainte Marie and so I am planning to go there in early September, I was also wondering if swimming with them was possible. For the whale sharks I though going to Nosy be later on in October would be my best opportunity but I was wondering if going there at the end of September would be a good time to see them as well.

3 Answers Jul 1, 2014 at 8:43 AM
    • Whales in Madagascar

Madagascar Jun 18, 2014 at 7:57 AM

Hello my name is Diego, I have been planning to go to Madagascar from September to October visiting the north, West, South, Central and a little of the eastern side. I am glad I have chosen this time of the year since it keeps coming up how good it is. There are two main things I want to do, to watch the humpback whales and snorkel with the whale sharks. I am aware that the best place to watch the humpback whales is in Sainte Marie and so I am planning to go there in early September, I was also wondering if swimming with them was possible. For the whale sharks I though going to Nosy be later on in October would be my best opportunity but I was wondering if going there at the end of September would be a good time to see them as well.

• Trip Toamasina-Palanganes Lakes (Palmarium reserve)- Andasibe

Madagascar Jun 14, 2014 at 3:21 AM

Hello everybody!

Its being quite difficult for me to find useful information about the options to make a trip from Toamasina (Tamatave) to Palanganes Lakes (Mainly to visit the Palmarium and try to see the Aye aye) and the go ahead to Andasibe/Mantadia parks.
      I would be very grateful if someone of you could either give me some info or recommend me where could I find something about it.
      Some of my questions:
      Is it worthy to visit Palmarium?
      How we could reach the Lakes from Toamasina? Which is the cheapest way?
      How we could go from the Palmarium to Andasibe? How long and how much it cost approx. the trip?
      If you need to choose between Palanganes-Palamarium or Ankarafantsika, which would yoo prefer?

Thanks a lot in advance!

• How to get to Kirinidy Private Reserve by Taxi Brousse

Madagascar Jun 13, 2014 at 5:54 AM

Can one get a taxi brousse from Morandava to the Kirindy Private Reserve? How much and when do they leave generally?

1 Answer Jun 15, 2014 at 9:48 AM