Madagascar Travel Answers

change location

Visa&guidebook

by Hajduczek Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Dear all!
First of all big thanks to all of you for contributing to this website- it's really kind and helpful of you!
I'm coming to Madagascar in 6 days and I have two major concerns. Firstly, I don't have the yellow fever vaccination. Secondly, I don't have the outbound ticket as I was hoping to catch a hitch-hike ride on a boat from Madagascar to Mozambique. So you think I'll be allowed to enter the country without those two?
Also, do you think it's possible to buy a guide to Madagascar in Tana?
Many thanks in advance!
Monika.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • angiebabe's Profile Photo

Re: Visa&guidebook

by angiebabe Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Hi I know that Mozambique is one of the African countries requiring yellow fever vaccination - and Ive had a read that the latest for Madagascar is that it doesnt require proof by showing your yellow fever card unless youve come from a country that does require it.

fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-liv...

wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destina...

But are you intending to have the shot in Madagascar or something?! as you need it for Mozamabique! I have it on board already as Ive been to countries in Africa and South America requiring it but even if I was only going to Madagascar Id probably have it in case I had the opportunity to go to Mozambique or any other nearby country requiring - and sometimes its best to anticipate the potential unexpected when travelling.

sounds like you just need to get in asap and attend to it before you head off! Do you have any hepatitis shots on board such as A and B. and one of the most important is making sure for sure!! that your tetanus is up to date! and for Mozambique I would imagine cholera. but if you havent already been to get travel medicine advice then Id strongly advise you fit that in into your next 6 days.

Ibought the latest edition of Lonely Planets guidebook to Africa which has good coverage for travelling country to country. Cant answer about the guide part of your question.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Visa&guidebook

by Hajduczek Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Thank you so much Angiebabe! It looks like I will have to change my plans and fly to Johannesburg from Madagascar and get all my vaccinations there before hitting the road and crossing Africa...I really appreciate your reply! Wishing you all the best wherever you are!

Be the first to rate this answer!

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo

Re: Visa&guidebook

by kenHuocj Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 2:20 AM

from WHO.int/ith/chapters/ith2012... MADAGASCAR & MOCAMBIQUE Yellow feverYellow fever certificate is required from travellers arriving from countries with Yellow fever infection. Yellow Fever Vaccine recommerdation NO

• Re: Visa&guidebook

by Hajduczek Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 2:48 AM

Hi there! Many thnaks for the reply! I'll be arriving from Mauritius so it should be just fine in terms of vaccinations... The question now is if they'll give me a visa without an outbound ticket though...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Madagascar Travel Answer Locations