Mackinac Island Travel Answers

change location

Hotels

by IAMPT Online Now Jul 16, 2008 at 11:36 AM

My question is...Is it worth the extra money to stay on the Island rather than in Mackinaw City? There is quite a price difference, and before I slurge, I would like to know if it is worth it? And, how many days should we allow to see the attractions ont he Island?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: Hotels

by traveltime08 Online Now Jul 16, 2008 at 4:57 PM

I think you would be just as good to take the ferry over and spend a day trip. You can take a horse drawn wagon around the island in 1/2 day, or you can bike or walk around the island in a day. The main thing to see downtown are fudge shops- i think there are 17 of them. No cars- just foot and horse drawn vehicles, so the second most prevalent odor behind fudge is manure. The Grand Hotel is picturesque, the setting for the old Christopher Reeve/Jane Seymour movie, but having toured it, I don't think it is worth the price. The island is very crowded during tourist season- some thing like 100,000 people can come to sight see in one day. I enjoyed my week there, but I was on a free trip- some folks at the conference felt fairly claustrophobic, and that a day or two was enough. It just depends on your taste- I think off season instead of high tourist season would be more fun and much less crowded- I think I also remember that the lake starts freezing up early, and that the few hundred or so people who live there year round either hike across the ice or stay on the island all winter long. The rest leave for the mainland before they get trapped. Hope this info helps you to make a decision.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines