Mackinac Island Travel Answers

change location

Nice place to stay on or near Mackinac Island - camping or hotel

by JimP99 Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Looking to plan a late summer or early fall trip to Mackinac Island. Any advice on reasonable places to stay either on the island or close-by on the mainland. We would camp or get a hotel depending on convenience. Also, are there any must-see things around this area?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Basaic's Profile Photo

Re: Nice place to stay on or near Mackinac Island - camping or hotel

by Basaic Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 10:21 AM

The Super 8 in Mackinaw City is nice and fairly inexpensive for the area. I recommend a visit to Fort Michilimackinac and the lighthouse in Mackinaw City too.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 11:26 AM

My wife and I will also be up here in August for our son's and daughter-in-law's wedding. The wedding is in Petoskey, Michigan which is probably a bit farther from the island where you want to be. We will be spending one day up in this area, but haven't yet decided where we will stay. Things we plan to see are obviously the island itself and bike around a bit, since there are no cars allowed on the island. What things do you like to do that you would find interesting? That would help others to assist in your planning!

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 2:27 PM

We camped in Mackinaw City and took the ferry back and forth to and from the island. I suspect lodging on the island is rather expensive although the Grand Hotel is truly grand. The campground was clean and very nice and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

As far as the island, we spent only about a half day there and walked all over the place. Don't miss at least a photo of the Grand Hotel. It is spectacular. Here's their web site and if you click on the tab marked "Activities" you will see lots of things to do on the island. http://www.grandhotel.com/

As mentioned above, giving us some of your interests would help give more targeted answers.

Enjoy a beautiful part of Michigan.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

by yooperprof Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Lots of people stay on the mainland and commute to the island via the ferries. Mackinaw City below the bridge is more touristy than St. Ignace in the Upper Peninsula, although with Fort Michilimackinac there is more to do on the south side. Something else to take into consideration is that there are more ferries to Mackinaw City than to St. Ignace and they run later in the evening.

U.S. 2 to the West of St. Ignace toward Naubinway is one of the most beautiful drives in the Midwest, with spectacular beach views along Lake Michigan. If the weather co-operates, you will probably want to stop and sample the water!

Further into the U.P (Upper Peninsula) there is a lot to see and do, but i don't know how far you are willing to go. Whatever your plans, I strongly recommend crossing the Mighty Mackinac Bridge at least once!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines