Machu Picchu

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• photographic gear

by Cardy Online Now Mar 27, 2014 at 1:07 AM

I am wondering if a tripod is permitted inside the ruins and if it is necessary. We intend going first thing in the morning. Thank you in anticipation.

more
    • photographic gear

by Cardy Online Now Mar 27, 2014 at 1:07 AM

I am wondering if a tripod is permitted inside the ruins and if it is necessary. We intend going first thing in the morning. Thank you in anticipation.

7 Answers 10 hours ago
    • Suitable trekking boots?

by finity Online Now Mar 18, 2014 at 2:14 AM

This will be my first trek, however I will be doing training and light treks prior to wear in my boots.
      I don't deal with the cold too well and need the extra ankle support so have been looking at these UGG Adirondack boots but am unsure if they're fit for the trek?
      zappos.com/ugg-adirondack-bo...

3 Answers 10 hours ago
    • stamporama's Profile Photo

Ticket purchase

by stamporama Online Now Feb 28, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Has anybody purchased admission e-tickets from the http://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/ website? I've already tried several times to purchase but after typing my personal info and then clicking the last button ("step 3"), my info goes blank and nothing happens even if I refresh. Is there a way around this or should it be easy enough to buy tickets when I get to Cuzco?

Thanks for any replies.

5 Answers Mar 1, 2014 at 1:37 AM
    • Walking conditions inside the park

by batears Online Now Feb 15, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Hi, my friend with knee issues is staying at the Sanctuary Lodge which I understand is right across from the entrance to the park. My question is what should she expect once she is inside the park and actually exploring the ruins. How much walking and stairs should she expect. We are trying to determine what kind of support she should try to bring for the knee. Thanks! Claire

3 Answers Feb 16, 2014 at 9:19 AM
    • Ship Tour Machu Picchu

by bangles Online Now Dec 8, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I am on a ships cruise August 2014. The cruise line is offering a shore excursion departing from Quito (Manta)Ecuador on August 3rd and arriving Lima (Callao) Peru August 6th so passengers can visit Machu Picchu. I know the excursion will involve travel by bus/plane/train. I am a senior (late 60's) traveller of average fitness for my age and wondered if this might be too rushed considering my age with the expected altitude changes (not really time to rest and get used to altitude). I am sure the ships tour will be well organised but expensive. It would be really disappointing to not actually get to Machu Picchu - this will probably be my only opportunity. Anyone got any thoughts or suggestions, is it just a wishful thought on my part that I could join the excursion? Any advice on altitude sickness or precautions. Thanks

12 Answers Dec 18, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    • Peru and Macchu Picchu weather and altitude sickness

by Bluemuru Online Now Nov 11, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Before going to Macchu Picchu, where should I start my tour or spend a few days so as to try and avoid altitude sickness? Is January an ok time to visit Peru, Macchu Picchu and do a short Amazon cruise, or is it just too wet? (I'm from Australia).

6 Answers Nov 12, 2013 at 6:18 AM
    • Huayna Picchu

by superiordogs Online Now Nov 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM

We will be at Machu Picchu in January and are planning to do the hke up Huayna Picchu. My husband thinks we would be better off doing the later hike as the fog may have lifted. I think it would be better to do the early hike as there will be less people.

We are staying at the Sanctuary so it would not be a problem to be on time for the early hike.

I would appreciate your thoughts on doing the trail with first group out, or with the later group.
      Thank you.

4 Answers Nov 7, 2013 at 1:10 PM
    • rain in January

by superiordogs Online Now Nov 1, 2013 at 1:47 PM

How is the weather in January?

4 Answers Nov 7, 2013 at 12:07 PM
    • booking a tour to Machu Picchu from Cuzco

by Anna-Magdalena Online Now Aug 1, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Thank you for your answers so far. I still have a question though:

I'd like to do the inca-trail or at least an alternative route in about one month an dwanted to book it in Cuzco (since its too late and too expansive from here). Now I read that you have to book the tours very early an advance, because the path is limited to 500 visitor per day.
      Do you know if there is a chance to book a tour in Cuzco short-term? Any suggestions for an alternative route and /or an agency in Cuzco?

Thanks!!

4 Answers Aug 21, 2013 at 9:16 AM
    • transportation from Cusco to Santa Maria

by medhead49 Online Now Jul 25, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Will be getting into Cusco at 1030 am. How can myself and four others get to Santa Maria that day?

2 Answers Aug 21, 2013 at 9:19 AM
    • best weather

by rmgood Online Now Jul 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM

What are the best months of the year to tour Peru and Machu Piicchu, considering both weather and crowds?

5 Answers Aug 21, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    • booking a tour

by Anna-Magdalena Online Now Jul 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Hi.

Is it possible to book a tour at Cuzco or near? I heard it is a lot cheaper than booking it from here (Germany). You have to book a tour to go to Machu Picchu, right? Or can you go on your own?

Thanks a lot!

Anna

8 Answers Oct 29, 2013 at 2:04 PM
    • viking76's Profile Photo

Transportation to Cuzco from Argentine

by viking76 Online Now Jun 13, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I'll be staying in Argentine in January 2014 (probably Buenos Aires). Anybody who know the best way to get to Cuzco for further transportation to Machu Picchu? Is it possible going by bus? If so, how long time would it take?

2 Answers Jul 3, 2013 at 9:02 AM
    • viking76's Profile Photo

going there

by viking76 Online Now Jun 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM

How do I travel from Buenos Aires to Machu Picchu?

5 Answers Jun 25, 2013 at 11:14 AM
    • footstool's Profile Photo

First trip

by footstool Online Now Jun 8, 2013 at 5:18 AM

Hey now everybody. Are food and water available once you enter the gates no, or should I bring my own water & snacks yes? Does the law force me to hire a tour guide? no I don't want to. What about getting bitten by ticks and other insects? Should I wear long pants? I'm planning on end of August, and staying at MP only for that 1 full day. Good idea to stay in Aguas Calientes? yes Is it worth the extra time to drop into the Temple of the Moon? What's the cell phone reception like at the top?! And, finally, what type of electrical adapter do I bring with me? Thanks alot for your assistance.

5 Answers Oct 29, 2013 at 2:07 PM
    • souljacker's Profile Photo

From Aguas Calientes to the ruins and back

by souljacker Online Now May 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Hi!

I'm going to Cusco tomorrow and will be sleeping at Aguas Calientes May the 29th. I've bought the 7AM-8AM MP-Huayanapicchu ticket.

I have some basic doubts I couldn't exactly find out anywhere.

How do I get there in time?

At what hour should I wake up? Where do I get the bus / van to go there?

Also, my train to Ollant laves at 15h50. Do you guys think I'll be able to get back to Aguas Calientes in time?

Thanks a lot!

1 Answer May 29, 2013 at 7:30 AM
    • CourtneyS6's Profile Photo

Machu Picchu Tours

by CourtneyS6 Online Now May 25, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Hey everyone,

My husband and in-laws are looking to plan a 2-3d trip to Machu Picchu. We honestly have no idea where to start, and which tours to look for. We are on a budget, but are looking for a good tour. Any recomedations out there for us on which tour companies are the best or where we would start?

3 Answers Aug 21, 2013 at 9:30 AM
    • JosephW10's Profile Photo

Anyone book from (www.machupicchutravelagency.com) before?

by JosephW10 Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Hi,

I am thinking of booking a tour with them but they need me to transfer 50% of the payment to them via western union.

Kindly advise me if anyone has booked before.

Thank you

Joseph

3 Answers May 29, 2013 at 7:30 AM
    • janettaW's Profile Photo

hello friends

by janettaW Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 3:48 AM

booked our flights to lima sept 2013, now the next bit, and how to do it. if we saved up and stayed at santuary lodge, does it include the tickets to get into the MP SITE,as it does say you can go in and out as you wish, please help.

4 Answers Mar 19, 2013 at 7:40 AM
    • Weather and crowds visiting 1st week of April

by vicachica1 Online Now Jan 21, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Hi! We are planning a trip to Peru (Cusco, Machu Picchu, Tambopata Natural Reserve, lake Titicaca, and possibly Arequipa) with 7 and 9 years old children. We are looking at dates of March 28 or 29 (good Friday) through Sunday, April 7th. I have 2 main concerns: wet, rainy weather and Holy Week travel/crowds. Should we postpone our trip till later time? Some guide books lay that rainy season is Jan-March, and some Jan-Apr, and all saying that Inca trail is impassable during rainy season, and MP is cloudy. We plan to do day hikes in the Sacred Valley, as well as spend 2 day in MP. Will it be very muddy and raining first week of April? Also, how serious of an effect Holy week has on travel? Are trains and hotels really booked up during that time? Thank you!

3 Answers Feb 4, 2013 at 4:43 AM
    • Tickled_Pink's Profile Photo

Confused: 4day Inca or Lares trail? OR touring Machu Picchu area on our own: 6 days &/or 2 day km104

by Tickled_Pink Online Now Jan 8, 2013 at 6:18 AM

It appears that there are so many places to visit in Machu Picchu, and the entire Sacred Valley. We want to get the best of it in our 6 day stay in the region.

Although we are not campers or hikers we were considering the 4 day INCA trail or Lares trail (please advise which is better an why?)but then we were wondering if (a) we would miss out on other wonderful sites (b)were wondering about how rough the roughing it is was(i've heard you pee in holes and from others that there are abolution facilities). Can anyone clarify this?

Does the 4 day hikes include MP and Ollantaytambo?
      If we do the latter, what is the best way to structure our stay. where do we sleep over and what transport do we use to and from destinations and in what order is advisable. Should we include the two day, one night sacred valley hike from kilometer 104? If so how do we obtain tickets for this (only 400 trekkers per day) what sites does it include and costs?

We would like to see Cusco, Ollantaytambo, Moray, Pisac, MP, Urumbara on our own understanding that it is best to overnights in Agues Calientes, Cusco & Ollantaytambo for early rises and convenience. Do we need tour guides for these sites?

Please help asap. So very much appreciated and Thanks in advance.

2 Answers Jan 30, 2013 at 7:35 AM
    • Tickled_Pink's Profile Photo

Which of the two itineraries is better and why? Changes and transport arrangments check

by Tickled_Pink Online Now Jan 8, 2013 at 5:32 AM

Hi

Hi. I'm all confused. Please help if there are too many or too few day allocations for best travel in Peru. Please advise if I should leave any stops out if not worth while visiting and please explain why?

1) Firstly I'm contemplating one of two directions of travel. Either Lima-Puno-Cusco-MP or Lima-Cuzco-MP-Puno-(either to Lima or back to Cuzco)? Which is better and why in terms of acclimatizing and cost effectivness in trasnport travel?

In these orders above we would like to visit Colca Canyon and ARequipa - if worth it and possibly Nazca. Please advise how this can be done if I have it all wrong.

2) We are using voyager tickets to fly into Lima with the option of continuing to Cusco (without stopping in Lima) Is Lima worth the stop for a day or two? If so then we may consider a day tour to Nazca Lines and return to Lima.

Where buses can be used please advise company and costs and where we find them to book from those locations

Itineraty 1
      Day 1: Lima
      Day 2: Lima --> Nazca --> Lima
      Day 3: Lima --> Cusco (overnight)
      Day 4: Cuzco (overnight)- must pay for this flight from Lima -see itinerary 2
      Day 5: visit Pisac (sunday)& Cuzco (overnight)
      Day 6: Train Cuzco--> MP (overnight agues calientes)
      Day 7: Train MP --> Ollantaytambo (overnight here)
      Day 8: Back to MP --- Train urubamba (overnight)
      Day 9: Train Cuzco --> Puno (overnight)
      Day 10: Puno--> Lake Titicaca and homestay
      Day 11: Puno--> Arequippa (overnight)
      Day 12: Day trip 4M bus to Colca Canyon & Return
      Day 13: Either fly from Areqippa to Lima (additional cost-no stop in Lima) or fly Areqipa to Cusco (to Lima with voyager) or train to Cusco

Itineraty 2
      Day 1: Fly directly into Cuzco arrive lunch time. (overnight)
      Day 2: Cuzco (overnight)
      Day 3: visit Pisac (sunday) & Cuzco (overnight)
      Day 4: Train Cuzco--> MP (overnight agues calientes)
      Day 5: Train MP --> Ollantaytambo (overnight here)** or day trip
      Day 6: Back to MP --- 2 day sacred trail hike km 104 - How do we book for this?
      Day 7: MP
      Day 8: MP--> Train urubamba (?overnight or day trip)
      Day 9: Train Cuzco --> Puno (overnight)
      Day 10: Puno--> Lake Titicaca and homestay
      Day 11: Puno--> Arequippa (overnight)
      Day 12: Day trip 4M bus to Colca Canyon & Return
      Day 13: Either fly from Areqippa to Lima or fly or train
      to Cusco (suggested why?) -
      Day 14: Depart Peru

With itineraty 2 we miss Lima

Thanks

12 Answers Jan 8, 2013 at 11:19 PM
    • Day Trip from Machu Picchu from Cuzco

by HighwayStar2006 Online Now Dec 18, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Hi Everyone,

Me and my wife are currently planning our trip to Cuzco for March 2013 and we could use some advise by someone who has already done a day trip to MP from Cuzco. We are planning to stay in the area for about a week and we don't intend doing the 4-day trek.
      We only need to find the most efficient and safest way to get to MP from Cuzco early in the morning and leave in the evening. Staying overnight at Aguas Calientes is not an option, we would like to to the day trip directly from the town of Cuzco where we will be lodging. Does anyone know what is the easiest way to do it?
      In terms of buying the tickets for the site, can someone advise what is the safest way? I saw many options online and very different price ranges and I got a bit confused. Is it safe enough to buy the tickets from the Cuzco tourist office the day before, or is it a long shot?

I really appreciate your responses

10 Answers Dec 19, 2012 at 3:53 AM
    • MP/Inca trail, Early March

by timba Online Now Dec 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Can any one help us with obtaining some information on if it will be possible to find a reputable guiding company the first part of March to do a 4 day Inca trail to MP.
      I know it books up early but if my wife and I could make reservations now that would be great. We live in Seattle and plan on being in Lima around the 5th of March 2013.
      Recommendations on the most reputable guide service would also be appreciated.

Obviously, we are behind in getting this together but hoping some of you VT'rs will have some suggestions.

Thanks as always

1 Answer Dec 13, 2012 at 5:55 AM
    • Feedback on charity tours

by Louiselala Online Now Dec 3, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Hi all,
      Has anyone had good or bad experiences with Inspired Adventures?? About to sign up for their charity trek to machu picchu

1 Answer Dec 4, 2012 at 1:37 AM
    • Tour company to Machu Picchu - Road Scholar

by nattygl Online Now Dec 1, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Has anyone taken a trip to Machu Picchu using Road Scholar? I am thinking of taking one of their trips, but want to know the quality of their trips.

2 Answers Mar 11, 2013 at 9:11 AM
    • Best Tour Company for short 3 day Lima-Machu Picchu Tour

by tor_traveller Online Now Aug 4, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Hi everyone,
      I will be in Lima in September on a business trip and I'm looking for a quick trip to Machu Picchu from Lima. Searching the net, I see a lot of tour packages for Machu Picchu, but confused on which one to take. I'm looking for a 3 day, 2 night tour from Lima to Machu Picchu. Anyone who has done this in the past and has any recommendations? Thanks.

• MOsterhus's Profile Photo

Which tour would you take?

by MOsterhus Online Now Jul 16, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Hello everyone...one more MP question for you all. We arrive into MP at around 2pm on a Sunday, we are then staying at the Sanctuary lodge that night and plan to be up early on Monday, to catch the sunrise. We are also thinking about taking a tour that morning. Which would you recommend?
      1) Temple of the moon: Temple on the lower part of Waynapicchu, following same trail that takes you to the summit. OR
      2) Huayna Picchu - Young Mountain. This mountain is located towards the north of the Citadel and appears in the background of Machu Picchu’s classic pictures.

Any thoughts? We will have all afternoon to walk around the ruins, since we are staying at the lodge, so we thought an early morning tour on Monday would be nice.

We are leaving MP around 2pm on Monday.

2 Answers Jul 17, 2012 at 4:33 AM

Can I buy tickets for Macchu Picchu ahead of time?

by MOsterhus Online Now Jun 29, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I plan to visit Macchu Picchu my first full day, Saturday. (flying in from Lima on Friday) Can I purchase my entrance tickets while I am still in the US? If not, can my hotel get them for me? Any suggestions on where to stay Friday night, as I want to be first FIRST first to step foot in MP on Saturday morning!

5 Answers Sep 23, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Machu Picchu on my own from Lima

by MOsterhus Online Now Jun 22, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Hello everyone! Thanks for your help in advance. I will be volunteering with a group for a few days in Pachacamac and then breaking off to go to MP by myself.

Is my sequence in getting there accurate?
      Take a flight from Lima to Cuzco. Grab a bus/taxi to Ollantaytambo where the train station is and take the train to Aguas Calientes (arrive late afternoon/evening on same day as flight?).
      I then plan to spend 2 nights there at a hotel (hotel ideas?). See MP the very next morning (either hike/bus) and spend entire day there. Leave next day to head back to Lima for International flight back to U.S.

Is it realistic that I can do the "travel" portion all in one day? I am trying to figure out all the timing on this, as I only have 3 days to complete all of this. Can anyone help me with setting up the timing of all of this and let me know if I understand the right route to get to MP? I would really prefer to not use a tour group.

7 Answers Jun 26, 2012 at 12:41 PM