Machu Picchu

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Virgin Vacation

by inday27 Online Now Dec 3, 2014 at 11:11 AM

any VT mbrs heard/used Virgin Vacation to Lima (cusco,etc)?

more
    • Physical requirement

by OlgaB7 Online Now Dec 16, 2014 at 4:50 PM

How difficult is it to tour this place? I will be joining a 48 hours land tour while in a SA cruise. I have a lower back & minor knee problem. Should I completely avoid this once in a lifetime tour. I do 30 minutes walks every two days but am not sure if my body can handle such a "steep" climb. Any information, recommendation, feedback will be greatly appreciated.I am determined to visit & see this wonder and didn't mind paying a lot for this tour.
      Also, I hear from others that have been there that the high altitude may also pose a problem particularly for those w/some breathing problem..feedback please. Thank you

more
    • Physical requirement

by OlgaB7 Online Now Dec 16, 2014 at 4:50 PM

How difficult is it to tour this place? I will be joining a 48 hours land tour while in a SA cruise. I have a lower back & minor knee problem. Should I completely avoid this once in a lifetime tour. I do 30 minutes walks every two days but am not sure if my body can handle such a "steep" climb. Any information, recommendation, feedback will be greatly appreciated.I am determined to visit & see this wonder and didn't mind paying a lot for this tour.
      Also, I hear from others that have been there that the high altitude may also pose a problem particularly for those w/some breathing problem..feedback please. Thank you

17 Answers 14 hours ago
    • Virgin Vacation

by inday27 Online Now Dec 3, 2014 at 11:11 AM

any VT mbrs heard/used Virgin Vacation to Lima (cusco,etc)?

2 Answers Dec 3, 2014 at 3:06 PM
    • TravelTheWorld4's Profile Photo

Traveling to Machu Picchu

by TravelTheWorld4 Online Now Nov 1, 2014 at 11:43 AM

I will be arriving at the Cusco airport on a Tuesday. My goal is to get to Machu Picchu the next day on Wednesday. Currently, trains are not running all the way from Cusco to Machu, you have to take a bus to Ollantaytambo or Urubamba and then a train to Machu. I would prefer to arrive in Machu around 10AM and depart around 10AM.

Here are my questions:

What is the best way to get from the airport to Ollantaytambo or Urubamba? Taxi, bus? Cost?

On arrival day I can stay in Cusco, Urubamba or Ollantaytambo, which one would you choose and why?

Thanks

3 Answers Nov 1, 2014 at 11:47 PM
    • things to do/go/see for 3 days in Cuzco;

by inday27 Online Now Oct 12, 2014 at 3:11 PM

planning to stay in cuzco for 4 days (1 day in MP) to acclimate (only if necessary), pls advise places/things to do in and around cuzco for 3 days; also,

10 Answers Nov 1, 2014 at 4:49 PM
    • Cheap tour

by AnjaS2 Online Now Sep 30, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Does anybody know a cheap tour Machu Picchu and surroundings, pick-up in Cusco but no city tour of Cusco and no airport service? Ideal 2 to 4 days and cheap? Gracias

4 Answers Oct 1, 2014 at 6:00 AM
    • route plan for 1/2 day trip

by peru2015 Online Now Sep 13, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Going to Machu Picchu mid March 2015. With only 1/2 day to explore I would appreciate any advice on how to see and photograph as much as possible (bearing in mind I will only have been in the country 24 hours). Is there a good route once through the gate? Anything extra I can see with the time I have? Thank you so much folks!

6 Answers Sep 15, 2014 at 5:43 AM
    • altitude sickness

by peru2015 Online Now Aug 17, 2014 at 2:03 PM

what to do before going. what to pack to alleviate altitude sickness in Machu Picchu. No time to acclimatize as the trip will be a quickie.

7 Answers Sep 13, 2014 at 6:42 AM
    • Hiking boots?

by duckness Online Now Aug 15, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Are hiking boots needed when visiting the Machu Picchu ruins in September if one is not climbing the mountains there? Are good athletic shoes with thick soles adequate?

4 Answers Aug 17, 2014 at 9:31 AM
    • Walking Sticks

by rilysmsn Online Now Jun 7, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Do you need walking sticks for a one day trip into macho picchu and can you take your personal one?

7 Answers Aug 26, 2014 at 8:41 PM
    • When to go?

by oconnorpam Online Now May 28, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Is there a time of year when it is less cloudy so you can see the view?

7 Answers May 29, 2014 at 9:06 PM
    • Has anyone who has bought Machu Picchu tickets found a delay in money debited from their account?

by rotterdam09 Online Now May 13, 2014 at 12:44 PM

I purchased five tickets through the official website, http://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/, about a week ago, as well as the train tickets from Cusco to Aguas Calientes. I paid through the Spanish version, as recommended on various travel websites. A verified my Visa card and printed the page that confirms my payment, as prompted by the website. I then printed all 5 of my etickets. The only problem I have is that the money still hasn't been taken from my account. I booked on a UK bank holiday, so expected a delay, and the train ticket money was taken late last week. I am getting a little nervous that there has been a problem, but I have triple checked the tickets I printed and they seem to be fine. Has anyone experienced a delay using the official website before?

1 Answer May 13, 2014 at 7:42 PM
    • Machu Picchu tripod allowed?

by MlleElizabeth Online Now May 1, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Hello,

Does anyone know if I can bring a tripod for my camera into Machu Picchu, are they allowed? If so do I have to pay for a permit?

Thank you!

2 Answers May 11, 2014 at 3:21 PM
    • Huchuy Qosqo 3D trek Peru

by KimLB Online Now Apr 25, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Going in July and wondering if good athletic shoes are enough or do we need to invest in expensive hiking boots?

2 Answers Apr 27, 2014 at 3:02 PM
    • ZOEGV's Profile Photo

June visit

by ZOEGV Online Now Apr 21, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Will I be battling the peak crowds during a June visit to Machu Picchu?

4 Answers Apr 26, 2014 at 5:26 PM
    • photographic gear

by Cardy Online Now Mar 27, 2014 at 1:07 AM

I am wondering if a tripod is permitted inside the ruins and if it is necessary. We intend going first thing in the morning. Thank you in anticipation.

7 Answers Apr 21, 2014 at 4:43 PM
    • Suitable trekking boots?

by finity Online Now Mar 18, 2014 at 2:14 AM

This will be my first trek, however I will be doing training and light treks prior to wear in my boots.
      I don't deal with the cold too well and need the extra ankle support so have been looking at these UGG Adirondack boots but am unsure if they're fit for the trek?
      zappos.com/ugg-adirondack-bo...

4 Answers Jun 25, 2014 at 12:15 PM
    • stamporama's Profile Photo

Ticket purchase

by stamporama Online Now Feb 28, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Has anybody purchased admission e-tickets from the http://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/ website? I've already tried several times to purchase but after typing my personal info and then clicking the last button ("step 3"), my info goes blank and nothing happens even if I refresh. Is there a way around this or should it be easy enough to buy tickets when I get to Cuzco?

Thanks for any replies.

5 Answers Apr 21, 2014 at 4:43 PM
    • Walking conditions inside the park

by batears Online Now Feb 15, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Hi, my friend with knee issues is staying at the Sanctuary Lodge which I understand is right across from the entrance to the park. My question is what should she expect once she is inside the park and actually exploring the ruins. How much walking and stairs should she expect. We are trying to determine what kind of support she should try to bring for the knee. Thanks! Claire

3 Answers Apr 21, 2014 at 4:43 PM
    • Ship Tour Machu Picchu

by bangles Online Now Dec 8, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I am on a ships cruise August 2014. The cruise line is offering a shore excursion departing from Quito (Manta)Ecuador on August 3rd and arriving Lima (Callao) Peru August 6th so passengers can visit Machu Picchu. I know the excursion will involve travel by bus/plane/train. I am a senior (late 60's) traveller of average fitness for my age and wondered if this might be too rushed considering my age with the expected altitude changes (not really time to rest and get used to altitude). I am sure the ships tour will be well organised but expensive. It would be really disappointing to not actually get to Machu Picchu - this will probably be my only opportunity. Anyone got any thoughts or suggestions, is it just a wishful thought on my part that I could join the excursion? Any advice on altitude sickness or precautions. Thanks

12 Answers Dec 18, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    • Peru and Macchu Picchu weather and altitude sickness

by Bluemuru Online Now Nov 11, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Before going to Macchu Picchu, where should I start my tour or spend a few days so as to try and avoid altitude sickness? Is January an ok time to visit Peru, Macchu Picchu and do a short Amazon cruise, or is it just too wet? (I'm from Australia).

6 Answers Nov 12, 2013 at 6:18 AM
    • Huayna Picchu

by superiordogs Online Now Nov 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM

We will be at Machu Picchu in January and are planning to do the hke up Huayna Picchu. My husband thinks we would be better off doing the later hike as the fog may have lifted. I think it would be better to do the early hike as there will be less people.

We are staying at the Sanctuary so it would not be a problem to be on time for the early hike.

I would appreciate your thoughts on doing the trail with first group out, or with the later group.
      Thank you.

4 Answers Nov 7, 2013 at 1:10 PM
    • rain in January

by superiordogs Online Now Nov 1, 2013 at 1:47 PM

How is the weather in January?

4 Answers Nov 7, 2013 at 12:07 PM
    • booking a tour to Machu Picchu from Cuzco

by Anna-Magdalena Online Now Aug 1, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Thank you for your answers so far. I still have a question though:

I'd like to do the inca-trail or at least an alternative route in about one month an dwanted to book it in Cuzco (since its too late and too expansive from here). Now I read that you have to book the tours very early an advance, because the path is limited to 500 visitor per day.
      Do you know if there is a chance to book a tour in Cuzco short-term? Any suggestions for an alternative route and /or an agency in Cuzco?

Thanks!!

4 Answers Aug 21, 2013 at 9:16 AM
    • transportation from Cusco to Santa Maria

by medhead49 Online Now Jul 25, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Will be getting into Cusco at 1030 am. How can myself and four others get to Santa Maria that day?

2 Answers Aug 21, 2013 at 9:19 AM
    • best weather

by rmgood Online Now Jul 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM

What are the best months of the year to tour Peru and Machu Piicchu, considering both weather and crowds?

5 Answers Aug 21, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    • booking a tour

by Anna-Magdalena Online Now Jul 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Hi.

Is it possible to book a tour at Cuzco or near? I heard it is a lot cheaper than booking it from here (Germany). You have to book a tour to go to Machu Picchu, right? Or can you go on your own?

Thanks a lot!

Anna

8 Answers Oct 29, 2013 at 2:04 PM
    • viking76's Profile Photo

Transportation to Cuzco from Argentine

by viking76 Online Now Jun 13, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I'll be staying in Argentine in January 2014 (probably Buenos Aires). Anybody who know the best way to get to Cuzco for further transportation to Machu Picchu? Is it possible going by bus? If so, how long time would it take?

2 Answers Jul 3, 2013 at 9:02 AM
    • viking76's Profile Photo

going there

by viking76 Online Now Jun 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM

How do I travel from Buenos Aires to Machu Picchu?

5 Answers Jun 25, 2013 at 11:14 AM
    • footstool's Profile Photo

First trip

by footstool Online Now Jun 8, 2013 at 5:18 AM

Hey now everybody. Are food and water available once you enter the gates no, or should I bring my own water & snacks yes? Does the law force me to hire a tour guide? no I don't want to. What about getting bitten by ticks and other insects? Should I wear long pants? I'm planning on end of August, and staying at MP only for that 1 full day. Good idea to stay in Aguas Calientes? yes Is it worth the extra time to drop into the Temple of the Moon? What's the cell phone reception like at the top?! And, finally, what type of electrical adapter do I bring with me? Thanks alot for your assistance.

5 Answers Oct 29, 2013 at 2:07 PM
    • souljacker's Profile Photo

From Aguas Calientes to the ruins and back

by souljacker Online Now May 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Hi!

I'm going to Cusco tomorrow and will be sleeping at Aguas Calientes May the 29th. I've bought the 7AM-8AM MP-Huayanapicchu ticket.

I have some basic doubts I couldn't exactly find out anywhere.

How do I get there in time?

At what hour should I wake up? Where do I get the bus / van to go there?

Also, my train to Ollant laves at 15h50. Do you guys think I'll be able to get back to Aguas Calientes in time?

Thanks a lot!

1 Answer May 29, 2013 at 7:30 AM