Machu Picchu Travel Answers

change location

Travel Ideas

by nimz87 Online Now Feb 4, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I am flying into Santiago and land at 11pm on Saturday night. I fly out from Lima at 7am on Saturday two weeks later. I was wondering if people had suggestions about how I should go about my itinerary? Here is a list of things I want to do:

Must do:
-Climb Machu Picchu
-Party in Santiago
-At least one good hike outside of Machu Picchu
-Eat Great Food and drink local beer/wine

Want to do:
-See Patagonia, if only for a day
-Waterfalls if there are any good ones
-Other suggestions

We are on a budget, but not too much around1000 for whole trip (including porters/fees for climb). Please tell me if this is realistic? I've looked up hostels and it looks like that will run about15/day. And I'm assuming20/day for food and drink is sufficient? That leaves up to35 for travel (flights, trains, buses) and side stuff (climb, souvenirs). If anyone could shed some light it would be so much appreciated. As it stands, it is me and a good friend from college going, 2 24 year old males. We would like to make sure 2-3 nights we get decent sleep, but can trek through and deal with it being a fast-paced trip. Also if any trains/buses are longer than 6 hours (unless it is a comfortable overnight bus/train), we would rather just fly and will up our budget.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: Travel Ideas

by nelli7 Online Now Mar 14, 2012 at 9:01 AM

You don't say how long you will stay in Peru.
    The Inca Trail trek varies in price with different agencies. You could do the alternative treks of Salkantay or Lares. You can eat for less than20 a day in Peru.35. is not enough for flights, nor trains. You can take a cheap bus but not recommended. I don't think1000. is enough for Chile and Peru with flights included.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines