Maastricht Travel Answers

change location
julin's Profile Photo

Train from London to Maastricht

by julin Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 9:44 AM

We are booked to go to Maastricht on 2nd July.The best way seems to be Eurostar to Brussels then train to Maastricht but I understand there isn't a direct train now so will have to change.Where is the best place to change?

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • MikeBird's Profile Photo

Re: Train from London to Maastricht

by MikeBird Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 9:59 AM

When I went to Maastricht by train ( admittedly a few years ago now) I went to the Brussels terminus of Eurostar and then found the platform for the trains to Maastricht at the central station. I seem to recall that the onward train stopped rather frequently so it might be worth looking up to see if there are any express trains.

One tip though, and this may not apply from Manchester, but when I bought my train ticket from Bedfordshire to Euston it was cheaper because I had an onward reservation on Eurostar. So it's worth mentioning that you're booked on Eurostar when you buy the Manchester-London tickets.

Have a good time in Maastricht. I thought it was a really interesting place. Unfortunately I was there with work so couldn't get out much.

Best wishes,
    Mike

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • MikeBird's Profile Photo

by MikeBird Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Oops - have no idea why I thought you were starting from Manchester. Anyway - even more reason to ask for cheaper tickets from SEvenoaks.
    Best wishes,
    Mike

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 10:04 AM

FYI Ryanair has flights 6 days a week from London to Maastricht

• julin's Profile Photo

by julin Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Hi Mike
    Thanks for the answer.I know the Maastricht Express stopped in October 2011 which is a shame so think we will have to stick with a slow journey.Looking forward to the trip especially the Andre Rieu concert.

• julin's Profile Photo

by julin Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Thanks but think we prefer the train.Would have been good if they flew from Gatwick which is convenient for us.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Yes, Eurostar to Brussels seems the most sensible option.

Here's the Belgian railway website in English for trains onward to Maastricht:

http://www.b-europe.com/Travel

There are trains at least hourly from Brussels Centraal), change at Liege, one-way fare from 17.80 euro.

You can also use:

bahn.com/i/view/overseas/en/...

for times & details for the whole UK>Maastricht journey, although it won't give you fares.

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM

from Gatwick only easyjet can have cheap flights [starting from 50 pounds] to Nederland [Amsterdam].

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Of course from 50 GBP is for return ticket, one way it's less.

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 2:18 PM

From Brussels Midi you buy return to Gulliames (sp?)Railway station in Liege Return is €11.20, from there you buy local one to Maastrich, so you have to change in Liege. Last time one way was €6.80 and last one goes from Gulliames at 23.10. after 17:00 there is Maastricht train 10min past every hour.

I used it in November for the VT meet in Brussels, I was coming from just inside the Belgian border, so the whole trip it cost me only €14.40....

• Re: Train from London to Maastricht

by K_V_B Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 2:50 AM

The best thing to do is to buy a direct ticket from wherever you are in the UK to Brussel, at the "Any Belgian Station" tariff.
    Buying a direct ticket to London together with the Eurostar ticket has the advantage that when you miss your Eurostart because your train to London was late you will be allowed to travel on the next available Eurostar departure at no extra cost.
    The only extra ticket you will need to buy is a ticket from Visé to Maastricht, which you can buy in Brussel, or in Liège or even online.
    Then for times use the trip planner at www.bahn.de. This will show you where to change.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Enjoy your concert with Rieu in his hometown!

• Re: Train from London to Maastricht

by wentbytrain Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 12:59 AM

the former IC trein BRu-Mstr still runs, but ONLY mo-fr and only as far to Vise.
    There you change into a 50yrs old dirty old trainset they could still find running for the final 12 mins.
    Mstr BTW is Belgian tariff point-but not for ABS. Depoending on your age you may get far cheaper tickets for local travel whithin BE.
    ON sat/sun you have to change in Liege (you can also do that weekdays) and admire its Calatrava built station. The fast IC trains to there go on to Verviers-Welkenraedt.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

by Nemorino Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 3:54 AM

Last summer I went from Antwerp to Maastricht by train, and I discovered that there is no longer any direct train between these two cities. So I took a Senior ticket for all of 5.30 Euros from Antwerp to Liège. In Liège I bought a ticket for about four Euros for a local train to Maastricht.

At the time this was much cheaper than buying one ticket from Antwerp to Maastricht. But it might be worth checking the Belgian Railways website as they often have seasonal offers.
    belgianrail.be/en/Default.as...

Liège is a station where the fast Thalys and ICE trains stop, so it’s easy to reach from Brussels. And from Liège it’s only half an hour to Maastricht by local train.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines