Maastricht Travel Answers

change location
rascal29's Profile Photo

Living in Antwerpen, studying in Maastricht- does it make sense at all?

by rascal29 Online Now Nov 15, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Hey guys,

I'm new here...so glad I found this page.
I have a question with regards to the Maastrciht University student or just people living in Belgium/ Netherlands.
I'm about to apply for a masters programme at the Maastricht University, but my boyfriend will be a student in Antwerpen. So, we wondered if there is any place we could live together and study, i.e place that is reasonably close and well- connected to both cities: Antwerpen and Maastricht.
Am I right, that there is no direct train connection from Antwerp to Maastricht?
Is car an option there?
I would be grateful for any info, as we're seriously confused now,

cheers
X

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • Re: Living in Antwerpen, studying in Maastricht- does it make sense at all?

by LaurensC Online Now Nov 15, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Hello, Train:Brussels would be my choice----}plenty of everything
    Car:Hasselt would be my choice----}nice city,easy reachable but there
    is too much traffic direction Antwerp.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Re: Living in Antwerpen, studying in Maastricht- does it make sense at all?

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Nov 15, 2009 at 10:26 PM

It will be very hard to find a place like that.

Most of your budget will go to travel (either by car, train and bus).

Breda in the Netherlands or even Den Bosch or Eindhoven could be options (all 3 have a train station).

Better do some calculations on travel costs versus having rooms in both city's.

Also travel time will be considerable each day.

PJ

• rascal29's Profile Photo

by rascal29 Online Now Nov 16, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Wow...that was quick, thank you so much.
    Yeah, we both knew it's going to be a costly bussiness, apparently having & using a car in Belgium/ Netherlands costs a fortune. Checked the trains as well- looks like the travel from Antwerpen to Maastricht always runs though Brussels anyway, it takes 2.5 hour. That's a loooooooooooooong way:)

So, Hasselt sounds like an option.
    Do you guys know if there are any regular bus/ train services from Hasselt to Maastricht and Antwerpen?
    I know there is a city bus no. 20 going from Maastricht to Hasselt, but I'm not sure if it is a frequent service, and how long does it take to get from Maastricht to Hasselt by bus?
    And now Hasselt- Antwerpen? Is car the only option to get to Antwerpen, or are there any other means of transport that would get there reasonably fast?
    Is the traffic really so bad there?

To be honest, I am considering living apart now.:(:(:(

Thank you so much again!

XXX

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Nov 16, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Maastricht - Hasselt bus = line 2-a.

Time table download at:

appl.delijn.be/dienstregelin...

PJ

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Nov 16, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Ooops, that should be 20a

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

by MacedonianUK Online Now Nov 16, 2009 at 2:24 PM

I live in Maastricht in the moment, and for post graduates there is very good choice of accomodation, provided by the Uni, & they have student office which will help you with all nessary details.
    On the other hand living in between Antwerpen & Maastricht, I would choose Eindhoven, simply as is cheaper to live there then Maastricht.
    BTW Maastricht is voted the second most expencive city in the Netherlands after Amsterdam.
    This is not to scare you, just to prepare you of the expences you might occure.
    In general Netherlands is expencive country to live in, specialy for students.
    Any ideas on Maastricht can be found here:
    www.vvv-maastricht.nl/en
    if you need more info please give me a shout.
    Good luck
    MaacedonianUK

• rascal29's Profile Photo

by rascal29 Online Now Nov 16, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Thanks a million, Macedonian:) I've checked Eindhoven- prices tempting indeed, but the connection rubbish ( or I just messed up the transport searches).

Now, I've got an idea- let me know what you thinka about it.
    We could find a flat in Hasselt. It would take me 1 hour to get to Maastricht Uni by bus ( 20a), my boyfriend would take the train to Antwerpen ( around an hour journey between Antwerpen and Hasselt).
    That way, we could live together ( and share the horrendous accommodation costs!) and commute within common- sense distance & price.
    So?
    BTW, I'm going to do my Masters at the Maastricht University next year, so I don't really know if the classes run every weekday or just a few days a week. If they're not so frequent, there may not be any need of being in Maastricht every single day anyway:)

So looking forward to moving back on the continent:)

cheers!

XXX

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

by MacedonianUK Online Now Nov 16, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Hasselt might work :D
    Another good point you made, the frequency of the Uni attendence.
    For some posgraduate couses you might need to be in town one to two day a week. Like Law,Music, Europian studies, Law, Economic...
    My cousin was doing Masters at the Music Academy in Maastricht and he requred to be at the Uni one day a week, to spend pracrice session with his proffesor/tutor, on the other hand somebody I know (their son) had to be at Uni every day as he was doing something affiliated with the Medical faculty, he had to be at the labaratory every day, and was part-ime contracted to work there, apart of doing his PHD.
    Depends of how much you will need to be at the Uni ....
    Another point which might be of interest, but I am not sure it is running still, is that about 7yrs ago, Belgum had simmilar set up as Germany when it comes to students transport.
    In Germany for a small fee (€11) a year, you get student card which intitels you to free bus and train rides on 100km radius. I know that Belgum run something simmilar 7-8yrs ago, but worth fiding out is it still the case....
    Good luck...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines