Maastricht Travel Answers

change location
dudinko's Profile Photo

Long term accomodation in Maastricht

by dudinko Online Now Nov 11, 2008 at 5:30 PM

I am looking for a room to rent or share in Maastricht as close as possible to Universiteit Maastricht. I will be following a masters degree from the end of January 2009 until the end of the year.
I have a tight budget so I am looking for something very affordable. Something around 250 euros/month would be nice.
Please let me know if you have or know of forms of finding a place.
Thanks.

Quote & Answer
19 Answers
  • Pijlmans's Profile Photo

Re: Long term accomodation in Maastricht

by Pijlmans Online Now Nov 11, 2008 at 10:52 PM

Hello,

An approach that is often successful is to contact the group where you're going to do your masters. They often have experience finding relatively short term accommodation. But you might already have done that...

Cheers
    Dennis

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Nov 12, 2008 at 9:32 AM

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

by MacedonianUK Online Now Nov 13, 2008 at 10:28 AM

My cousin was doing Masters & for accomodation, he contacted the student body. The Maastricht University has student accomodation office, wich can help you with finding room, or shearing flat.
    Also they have few dorm style buiding not far from the center, but you will need bike.
    For that one you can get one cheap, from the Police.
    The police has sale of recovered stolen bikes, but not clamed, once a month.
    You can get one quite cheap.
    The main Police station is just near the Kenedy Bridge in the outscrts of Old town, near St Peter district.

• dudinko's Profile Photo

by dudinko Online Now Nov 17, 2008 at 4:23 AM

Thank you very much for that tip. I was really concern about the cost of bikes in the Netherlands. You might of resolved my problem.
    Thanks!

by dudinko Online Now Nov 17, 2008 at 4:24 AM

Thanks. I have done this but I was looking for alternatives just in case.

by dudinko Online Now Nov 17, 2008 at 4:32 AM

PJ,
    Thanks for the websites. I have checked a few already.
    Somebody is offering me a 55m2 apartment fully furnished in Pierre de Coubertinweg for 200 euros/month. Is this a normal price or it sounds fishy? It includes all utilities and it has a bathroom, living room and bedroom. It is not shared.
    Thanks.

• Re: Long term accomodation in Maastricht

by ger4444 Online Now Nov 17, 2008 at 4:38 AM

http://www.kamerburo.net/default2.asp
    many foreign students firts try this kamerburo to find a romm. there is a registration fee required. rooms here are comperatively cheap. Categories vary from little appartments (with kitchen) to small rooms. Locations are heart of the city, but also suburbs and nearby Belgium. Rentinga room in suburbs is cheaper, and considering Maastricht is not that big of a city, by bike its 10 minutes from the suburbs to the citycenter. Prizes: 250 euro and up. Sometimes even less. Feel free to email me, i might be able to help you, i am masterdegree stdent as well

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Nov 17, 2008 at 9:41 AM

Sounds like a reasonable offer.

Ask about the utilities. Do you have additional charges from Gas/Water/Electricity/CableTV/Internet or is all of that included?

Is a Washing machine/Dryer/Fridge included?

Ask for some recent pictures.

PJ

by ger4444 Online Now Nov 17, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Pierre De Coubertinweg is located near the Geusselt soccer stadion. its near the highway and about 15 minutes by bike from the city center. by car you are in 15 minutes at the university district (law and economics) or (medicine) so its not bad located

by dudinko Online Now Nov 18, 2008 at 1:23 AM

I received pix and it looks very nice. It does include utilities(also internet) and it has a washer(not dryer). So is 200 euros inside the average rent price then?

by dudinko Online Now Nov 18, 2008 at 1:32 AM

Thanks ger4444 for your replies.
    Weather in Maastricht allows you to ride a bike all year long? I haven't done much research yet in that field yet. I just assume it is very cold during winter. Does it snow a lot?
    Is the soccer stadium located in a nice area?

by ger4444 Online Now Nov 18, 2008 at 9:41 AM

Yes, you can ride a bike the whole year long. We seldom have snow in winter. the ;ast real snowy winter was in 1987. Only rain makes it less comfortable, but that all. The stadium is located ina commercial area, with shops and hotel. The neighboorhood on the soutside of the Stadium is less attractive. Its near the Meersenerweg (Wittevrouwenveld). it has not such a good name.

by MacedonianUK Online Now Nov 18, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Nice neigberhoods in that area are Weyk 26,27,28, I live nearby in Weyk 26/27 Heer neighborhood of Maastricht, wich is off Akensterweg, and is about 3km or 15 min on the bike from the center.
    In Den Hag heighborhood is one of the Dormitory stayle flats(buiding) owned by the Student Union, and you might be able to get there if you put your name on the list.
    Kamerburo will help you with list of aproved flats,with decent rent.
    Room in shared house of 5 people, with full kitchen and washing mashine,last school year in the center was between €190 to €320.
    I know for a fact, that is realy hard to find dicent room/flat in the old town center, as my cousin last year was loking 5 months before the year started and you have to have your name on the Kamerburo list.
    If you belong to the EU countries, you are intaitled of €920 grant for living expences,one time deal. Outside the EU, you can also get the grant , one time (year)only and is €720.
    Also you will need to have bank account, I suggest POSTBANK, as is most convinient, low charges, and it seems that all the students have one.
    It will be suggested to you by the Student Union when you get the info pack.
    If you don't belong to EU country, than you will have to have Dutch medical insurance wich usualy cost, quite more than if you are member of the EU.
    Non EU residents,insurance is best part of €500,and with that one you pay for your doctor or dentist, and than you claim your money back from the Insurance. If you are part of EU, than there is cheaper option, registration with CZ medical insurance, is best bet,as is wide used by everyone.
    CZ offices are in the center of Maastricht oposite the Train Station .
    If you stand with your back to the station, is on your left down the road and on the oposit side of the road.
    hope this helps
    Valentina

by dudinko Online Now Nov 23, 2008 at 4:57 AM

Thanks Macedonia UK for your postings. So for how much about does an impounded bike run for???

by MacedonianUK Online Now Nov 25, 2008 at 10:25 AM

sorry for getting back late, lest answer your question.
    They hold in a way auction for bikes, and it starts as little as €5 but for nice bike you will fork out about €50-70.

by ger4444 Online Now Nov 27, 2008 at 8:01 AM

yes and get a very good lock or two for the bike, maybe the locks will cost you more than the bike itself!!!

by MacedonianUK Online Now Nov 28, 2008 at 7:32 AM

You can get yourself decent bike for €30-40, good lock will cost you same amount of money. So for €70 you can have good bike. Note , that when you leave, you can sell on your bike via the Student Union, board, or put your card at the local supermarket.
    For example the AH (Albert Hein) at the Vrighthof, will have a board, so for €1 you can advetise your bike, or that you are looking for good bike, for a week. Lots of people use this service, for second hand furniture, bikes, toys, some sell puppies/kittens and many different things, as giving music lessons & so on.
    If you need more help give me shout. I am in Maastricht for the moment, and will be here till the end of January. Then my 8 week sitnt to Macedonia starts.
    Happy travels.
    Valentina

by dudinko Online Now Nov 29, 2008 at 2:51 AM

Thanks for all the useful advice, Ger and Valentina.

Is there a way of verifying online the existence of a building or house? Like if I enter the address, will it show if it is real. I am just trying to close a deal with a guy for an apartment he is renting, but I want to make sure everything he says is true and it is not a scam.
    He gave me the address (Pierre de Coubertinweg, 6225 XT,Maastricht) and I checked on mapquest, but I am not sure how the numbering works over there in the Netherlands.
    Valentina, is it ok if I email you asking more questions??

Thanks.

by MacedonianUK Online Now Nov 29, 2008 at 3:04 AM

Mail away. Do you want me to chek the building and the flat??
    i do not mind doing that.
    I know how to deal with sharks(if you know what I mean)
    One of them, tried to swinddle my cousin, bad move!!
    I am nasty Macedonian, whem people think just becouse I am foreiner, & do not know the sly moves, so they can take me for a ride !! :D
    The address sounds familiar, but best thing is to have somebody to deal with this person in real life. You will be suprieses, how many times, people take advantage. You ask them is this all, do I need anything else? and they lie by ommision, so you go away, than you find out that is no so, and eather you are out of pocket, or you have to pay additional charges. When you complain, they tell you you should know things like that. But how, when you are new to the country & you do not speak the lingo!
    Anything you need just ask. More than happy to help.
    Valentina

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines