Lyttelton Travel Answers

change location

Lyttelton Harbor

by margiegrillo Online Now Oct 25, 2008 at 5:16 PM

My husband and I will be cruising from Sydney. Our cruise will be docking at Lyttelton Harbor. Is there transportation between Lyttelton Harbor and Christchurch. Can you recommend sightseeing. We prefer to explore on our own instead of doing a tour. Is that possible here? Thank you

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Lyttelton Harbor

by Kakapo2 Online Now Oct 25, 2008 at 5:27 PM

Nothing easier than exploring Lyttelton and Christchurch on your own.

There is a stop of the # 28 bus right at the pier, and this takes you directly into Christchurch's city centre. The ticket costs NZ$ 2.80 and is valid 2 hours. Buses leave every 15 min during the week, and every 30 min on weekends and public holidays.

To get an idea about the location I would hop off the bus at the first stop after the tunnel (under the Port Hills) which is the Gondola station, and get up to the summit by gondola. From there you have a fantastic 360° view.

If you need a workout you can also walk up the hill on historic Bridle Path that the first English settlers took in 1850, then walk down to the bus stop on the other side of the hills and get into the city from there.

Lyttelton itself is a nice little town with lots of cafés and a still functional Timeball Station. This is the main attraction. And a little walking tour of the town does not take you longer than 20 to 30 minutes.

Another activity is a harbour cruise on the Black Cat boats, there are Hector's Dolphins in the harbour. Or take the ferry (10 min) to the other side of the harbour, to Diamond Harbour, and relax there.

More (nearly all... :-) info about Lyttelton on my Lyttelton page, and Christchurch on my Christchurch page, and if you have more questions do not hesitate to ask.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • HansDK's Profile Photo

by HansDK Online Now Oct 25, 2008 at 5:27 PM

There are two bus routes (28 & 35) from Lyttelton to Christchurch.
    lytteltonharbour.co.nz/conte...

Timetables:
    metroinfo.org.nz/timetable_m...

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Oct 25, 2008 at 5:29 PM

Yes, also bus # 35 goes to Christchurch, but there is only one bus per hour, and it does not stop at the pier. But if you walk around Lyttelton first just hop on any of the two buses. #28 is red, #35 blue. They both stop at the Gondola station.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines