Luxor

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Travel during election time

Cairo Apr 5, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I am a 56 year old mother who will be traveling with my son (30) and his friend (24) to Sharm May 24-31, then plan on spending 4 days in Cairo, May 31-June 4. With the upcoming elections, what are your thoughts as far as safety/timing? We are all American citizens

more
    • nabq taxi or bus

Egypt Apr 5, 2014 at 4:45 AM

Can anyone please tell me weather I should use bus or taxi to get about from nabq bay to sharm etc and any idea on prices please.

more
    • Aswan airport transfer

Aswan Apr 13, 2014 at 1:14 AM

What is the usual taxi fare from Aswan airport to central Aswan?

more
    • Is it safe to visit Cairo?

Cairo Apr 3, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Hi, we are planning a trip in August and have a stop-over at Cairo for 13 hours (12:30 pm - 2 am) and 17 hours (6 am - 8:45pm) both ways. I was thinking about doing the Museum on one day and the Pyramids / Sphinx on the other. Could you please tell me if it is safe to travel outside to the city? I read an article which said that the Egyptian government is wooing tourists to visit places like Luxor and Aswan, but are not promoting Cairo. Also would you advice that we do both on the same day?

more
    • Latest Train travel in Egypt from Cairo to Luxor and suitable to travel with 5 year old??

Egypt Mar 31, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Hi there,

I've been to Egypt several times but not for 10 years. I'm a UK passport holder and I'm debating about going with my inquisitive 5 year old daughter in May and taking by train from Cairo to Luxor. Can anyone tell me if the day trains are still running between Cairo and Luxor and how you can book a ticket? Also, its a repeated question but how safe would Cairo and Luxor be with a 5 year old? I've had great experiences in the past but not sure what to expect now!

Many Thanks

Richard

more
    • travel from hurgharda to dahab

Egypt Apr 18, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Hi is it safe for us to drive from Hurgharda to Dahab , we are british and moving to Dahab in june. is there a ferry from Hurgharda to Sharm ??

more
    • Should I visit Cairo?

Cairo Apr 16, 2014 at 2:03 AM

Greetings, I am thinking visiting Cairo to see the Pyramids and such a couple days after the elections? Is this advisable? Will is be safe after the elections? Thanks for any advice and help you can give me.

more
    • UNSURE AND SCARED

Cairo Apr 2, 2014 at 5:12 AM

Just really frightened by whats going on in cairio , i fly out on the 16th May and have been told that the elections take place 26th-27th may i am going there to get married , i actually dont know what to do , this is the only time i have off from work and need to do this this year , my flights are booked , can anyone shed somelight as to their thoughts please

more
    • Bombs attacks in Cairo

Egypt Apr 2, 2014 at 8:26 AM

We travelling from South Africa to Egypt from the 17th April to the 29th of April. WOrried about the uprising and bomb attacks in Cairo. Should we cancel our trip? Is it safe to travel to Egypt anymore?

more
    • Travelling to Eygpt in August 2014

Egypt Mar 30, 2014 at 6:14 AM

Im doing a tour of the major acient sites around Eygpt and i was wondering if anyone else was planning trips around this time and if i should be concernced for my safety? Im travelling with a tour company with two males and another female.

more
    • Would you go to Sharm El Sheikh?

Sharm El Sheikh Mar 24, 2014 at 12:47 AM

Would you go to Sharm El Sheikh?

more
    • going to Hurghada in april 2014

Hurghada Mar 24, 2014 at 2:38 AM

is Hurghada safe now? seems alot of travllers have had no problems there with security etc?

more
    • should I cancel my August Holiday 2014?

Sharm El Sheikh Apr 16, 2014 at 5:38 AM

Hi
      Please could someone advice? my 12 year old and I are going to Sharm Grand Plaza Resort Nabq Bay, Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt for two weeks in beginning of August, its our first holiday for years..Yet now many people are saying we should cancel it as it will be way to hot! I feel stupid for not checking before booking! Hotel and area has great reviews and look beautiful! but i'm worried it would be ridiculously hot for us brits? Any advice please?

more
    • Day excursions

Sharm El Sheikh Apr 18, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Hi all

My girlfriend and I are arriving in Sharm, staying at the Hilton in Sharks Bay. We have looked at some things to do, in particular the quad biking, St Catherines and desert star gazing trips.

Is it cheaper or better to buy these trips when we are over there?? I see they are advertised through companies over the internet but want to get the best deal possible and was considering buying before we go.

Is there any other trips that are a must do when we are there, first time going to Sharm so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

more
    • VISA REQUIREMENTS FOR CONNECTING FLIGHT FROM CAIRO

Egypt Apr 13, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Hi, we are british citezens and will be travelling to Hurghada in August. Both ways we have a short stop over in Cairo and connecting flight (3 hours stop overs) . will we require a visa for Cairo and a separate visa for Hurghada? if so how much does the Cairo visa cost? Hurghada is around £10 per person.

more
    • Advice on solo travel/working

Egypt Apr 1, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Hello,

I need some advice a friend of mine is considering working in Egypt she's only young (19) and will possibly be traveling solo. I don't mind her going out there, I think it would be great for her! Just a little worried about her safety as I would really hate it if anything happened to her while she's out there.

While we were on holiday a few months ago, there were several guys and staff at that matter who gave her a lot of attention and being a bit straight forward with her.

Many thanks

more
    • From Alexandria to Cairo by boat (yacht or dahabyia)?

Egypt Apr 8, 2014 at 11:11 AM

I am doing research for a book. I have been in love with Egypt since I was 6 years old, but unfortunately never had the opportunity (read: money) to visit that country. I am looking for information on the navigability of the Nile coming from Alexandria going to Cairo, in the late 1890's, early 1900's. Yes, I know the Nile does not exactly reach that city, because it turns into a delta. But from what I've seen of old maps of Alexandria, there was a connection from the harbor through side canals--I think one was the Mahamoudieh Canal, if my memory serves me right--that allowed small boats to reach the Nile river. I believe there was a dam built near Cairo, that had sluices, but can't find exact dates. I would be very thankful of any information anyone could advance.

more
    • JanetT60's Profile Photo

Taking a one year old to Egypt at end of March, bad idea?

by JanetT60 Online Now Feb 2, 2014 at 12:33 PM

We are thinking to take our daughter with us to Egypt at end of March, but I concern the current situation in Egypt. We most probably will stay either in Luxor or Aswan then just see things around those area. But also thinking to visit Cairo for the pyramid for one day (try to just fly in and out, avoid staying in Cairo).

Any advice? Should we go at all?

6 Answers Feb 5, 2014 at 7:09 AM
    • private guides

by cdbi Online Now Jan 3, 2014 at 4:39 PM

is it easy to find private guides for a weeks time?

5 Answers Jan 7, 2014 at 3:20 PM
    • A bar called First or the First, in Karnak, Luxor

by jetsetter45 Online Now Sep 26, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Does anyone know or been to this bar, It is on the main road, round the corner from JJ`s, but across the road from a café called Gerda`s Garden. It is a haunt for the locals mainly Fellucca and caleche drivers, there are belly dancers but not your convetional looking ones, quite a sleezy louche place but interesting, we were ushered in but my boyfriend was not happy at these men leering at me and whisked me off before we even had a chance to sit down. I have wanted to go back ever since but would not be allowed and would never go alone. Has anyone been and if so what was your experience? Maybe I have the name of it wrong, but the location is correct, I think the pub opposite is the genesis or Esquire pub.

• renting a studio or small flat in luxor

by sergedhont Online Now May 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM

We are looking for addresses in luxor to rent a studio or small flat (shower, 1 bedroom, terrace, quiet, 2 persons).
      Many thanks for help

3 Answers Dec 21, 2013 at 7:55 AM
    • jonlyd's Profile Photo

Need travel partner - free style

by jonlyd Online Now May 12, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I just need someone to go to Luxor with, as my husband doesn't want me to go alone. We went in Jan. so he imagines the hassle I may get. So I need someone that wants to do their own thing like I want to, and just meet up for major stuff and to have someone as a source of help. I have Egyptian friends there and I know I will be fine, but it will reassure my husband if I get a travel partner. I'm interested in June. I'm not talking about sharing a hotel room.

2 Answers Dec 1, 2013 at 8:37 AM
    • lclaudio's Profile Photo

west bank...order of preference

by lclaudio Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 3:23 PM

hi again.....on my trip, i`ll be one full day with car and guide with me in west bank...so, in order to do best there, could please give an idea, how to get the best on this day? if you give me some kind of schedulle for this day i`d apreciatte too much

and if, you could put in order of preference the spost that i shoud not missed, please let me know.....

HATSHEPSUT. TOMB OF NOBLES, VALLEY OF KINGS, QUEENS, DEIR AL MEDINA, MEDINET HABU, RAMESSEUM, MERNEPTAH, SETI-I(TEMPLES)

thanks in advance once again

luiz

4 Answers Mar 13, 2013 at 4:49 PM

deir el medina

by lclaudio Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Hi again....finishing plans to egypt tour(less than two weeks, first of all i`d like to thanks all very helpful replies....second, i woul like to ask....once in west bank, to get places like DEIR EL MEDINA and it`s tombs(the main ones) how difficult it is? could you describe in detail...i will be there on a private tour, so, probabily, the guide will take us as close as possible, but i`ve heard that the walk is hard, so , in order to plan, could you please help me on that?

by the way, if this is not to loong, the same question for other spots like valley of kings......and others you think are the hardest to reach.......

thank you fellows see you soon

regards luiz

2 Answers Mar 11, 2013 at 6:40 AM

how much time spend luxor and karnak temples

by lclaudio Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Hi again, i'd like to ask people in order to know reasonably both temples, how much time should i spend in each of them?(i mean to see them take photos etc)

thank's

3 Answers Mar 26, 2013 at 4:31 AM

what to do.....

by lclaudio Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 12:55 PM

HI again......

Of course, Luxor has many temples, tombs etc to know, but, below, i'll describe which places a cruise-tour takes us, and, considering your experience, i'd like to ask you if, on these kind of tours, we have enough time to beat the places or it is in a hurry...and, if possible, could you describe in order of interest-preference-beauty(etc) wich places should i visit besides these below(i have one and half more day to explore luxor)?

Visit the West Bank, take an excursion to the royal cemetery for 62 Pharaohs, Valley of the Kings, then to mortuary Temple of Queen Hatshepsut, which was built by the architects of the New Kingdom Pharaoh Hatshepsut in the 15th century BC , at El-Deir El-Bahari & the Colossi of Memnon. o visit Karnak & Luxor temples at the East bank of the River Nile, Lunch on board

MANY THANKS REGARDS LUIZ

6 Answers Mar 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM
    • carezma

by vinac Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Where is the shop located? What is the price of a t-shirt or a men"s shirt?

• Simps2s's Profile Photo

Luxor to Aswan in a day

by Simps2s Online Now Jan 13, 2013 at 1:54 AM

We are staying in Luxor mid-March and would like to do a day trip to Aswan. Is that possible?

2 Answers Apr 5, 2014 at 10:45 AM
    • travelmad478's Profile Photo

One day or four days in Luxor?

by travelmad478 Online Now Jan 8, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I am likely to be in Luxor at the end of February for a conference, and I'd like to do some sightseeing afterwards. Due to constrained flight schedules to get to my next destination, I can either leave myself with a single day in Luxor (a Wednesday) or four days (Wednesday-Saturday). I'm sure I can amuse myself for more than one day, but is four days too much? I don't know Luxor at all.

I have been to Cairo, Alexandria, Hurghada, and Sharm, and don't have much interest in going back to any of those, but is there somewhere else in Egypt that makes sense to visit for a day or two? Would it be fun/pleasant to take a boat back from Luxor to Cairo, rather than flying, and soak up some time that way?

15 Answers Feb 13, 2013 at 2:58 AM
    • Weather in December

by louise192 Online Now Dec 6, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I am thinking of going to Luxor in December, mainly for the sun and a bit of sightseeing. What will the temperature be like as each website varies. I am used to spending December in Goa where it is mid 30's. I am not expecting that kind of heat but will it be warm enough to sunbathe and not have to wear a coat at night?

What are the prices like to eat outside of the hotels?

3 Answers Mar 26, 2013 at 4:31 AM
    • LUXOR FOR THE SOLO TRAVELLER

by MartinWain Online Now Oct 7, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I'm torn with the idea of going to Luxor in February but harrassment from the locals is putting me off. I can see why some folk tend not to leave the confines of their Hotel. I'm quite happy to just sit by the pool,but you can do that in Tenerife & I know I would regret not seeing the sites at the end of a 7 day visit.

I'd like to hear from any chaps (or women for that matter) that have gone on a solo holiday there. I suspect that the locals will be especially target single travellers. Don't want the situation arising after day one where I'm thinking 'oh no, six more days of this!'

8 Answers Oct 9, 2012 at 2:36 PM
    • Need info on Hot Air Balloon Riding

by joinjoni Online Now Jan 14, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Hi,
      Does anyone know the best (and most reputable) company that provides hot air balloon rides in Luxor at a reasonable price? Two of us are considering this. But the rate looks like about100 USD. This seems actually quite high as this is very comparable to a ride we can take in California where we live. Any info? Is it even worth it?

Thanks!

5 Answers Aug 11, 2012 at 10:11 PM
    • Request info on taking TRAIN from Cairo to Luxor

by joinjoni Online Now Jan 14, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Hi, I guess you are NOT able to take a boat from Cairo to Luxor? And I keep reading mixed information about taking a train from Cairo to Luxor. Please, does anyone know a reputable website that will give me current info/rates/schedules for train transportation? And are these train services available to me as an American tourist? I would preferably like to book this online before I leave. Thank you so much for your help!

Joni

5 Answers Mar 7, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    • How long should I plan for in Luxor?

by joinjoni Online Now Jan 14, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Can this be done in 1 1/2 days?

6 Answers Aug 11, 2012 at 10:30 PM
    • diana_renou's Profile Photo

Luxor horses and donkies

by diana_renou Online Now Jul 6, 2011 at 6:07 AM

I know that this a is a place for trips, but I went to Luxor last June and the bad condition of horses and donkies made me feel so bad..that I couldn't enjoy my trip. There is some Aninal protection Society in Egypt? Something to do about this terrible problem for the animals? Poor animals work all day, no food and no water enought. They hit the horse and dont care about them. It is horrible. Sorry because it is the the place, but if someone could help it will be great. Diana

14 Answers Aug 10, 2011 at 3:14 PM
    • Desperately seeking Romani

by PoppyBacon Online Now Jun 20, 2011 at 2:36 AM

Many years ago, my husband and I spent two week in Luxor and met the most wonderful shopkeeper and his family, who looked after us and showed us the real Egypt and her people. We lost contact with him and have not been in touch for ages - we cannot even remember the name or location of his shop but it sold souvenirs including belly dancing outfits anf his family were Coptic Christians. We are going back to Luxor with our son in August and would so love to see Romani again so anyone who knows anything about him, PLEASE let me know. Just the name of the street of his shop (assuming it is still there) will really help. Thank you

2 Answers Jun 21, 2011 at 5:40 PM
    • Cruising the nile

by nato75 Online Now Dec 30, 2010 at 3:01 AM

We are travelling the Egypt in April 2011 and want to do a cruise on the Nile. We were looking at going on a Dahabiyya. It seems that these trips are more designed just for relaxing rather than seeing the sites around luxor and aswan at the end. Can anyone shed more light on our suspicions.

4 Answers Aug 4, 2011 at 6:45 PM
    • 7 Nights - how long and where to go - Luxor, Cairo etc

by puthsardarade Online Now Dec 24, 2010 at 6:01 AM

Hi,

I have booked flight and will be arriving in Luxor on 10th Jan. I was hoping some advice on other cities we could visit - such as Cairo etc and how long people would suggest staying there for, before I go ahead and book accomodation?

We have a total of 7 nights to spend and our return flight is also from Luxor.

Thanks in advance

7 Answers Jan 7, 2011 at 1:09 PM
    • quinntripper's Profile Photo

Mosquitos in December/January?

by quinntripper Online Now Dec 19, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Greetings!
      Can anybody tell me if I need bug repellant in Luxor, Sharm, or Cairo? I'll be there from 12/24 - 1/6.
      Thanks so much!
      ~Becca

6 Answers Dec 20, 2010 at 9:37 AM
    • sash100's Profile Photo

Nile Cruise

by sash100 Online Now Dec 10, 2010 at 2:54 AM

Hi, I'm planning a trip during spring to Egypt. We will be flying to Cairo, then travelling to Alexandria by train. From Alexandria to Luxor by night train and hopefully by some means travelling from Luxor down south to Abu Simbal. Does anyone have any suggestions where can I buy train tickets or book train tickets through the internet? Where can I find a comparison for Nile cruises so that I can book it on my own instead of through travel agents? Can anyone recommend any cruise? All suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

7 Answers Dec 12, 2010 at 3:04 AM
    • Fabric Buying

by JorieM Online Now Sep 7, 2010 at 5:08 AM

Where in Luxor, Egypt, can I buy Egyptian cotton by the metre (or yard).I'm a quilter and am wanting some pieces for my home quilt guild.

Thanks.

2 Answers Sep 22, 2010 at 10:55 PM
    • Fabric Buying

by JorieM Online Now Sep 7, 2010 at 5:08 AM

Where in Luxor can I buy Egyptian cotton by the metre (or yard).I'm a quilter and am wanting some pieces for my home quilt guild.

Thanks.

1 Answer Mar 26, 2013 at 4:31 AM
    • cyprus4holidays's Profile Photo

Tom & Jerry motorboat and Mr Ali Abdu

by cyprus4holidays Online Now Aug 30, 2010 at 9:23 AM

Hi

We've heard about a small motorboat operated by this man from around the Iberotel area where he offers an evening sail with dinner and a cake from Twinkys.

All sounds like great fun for 6 of us who are travelling together in a couple of weeks.

However, I would like to hear from anyone who has done the same trip and any feedback.

I'm also looking for some up to date prices for the balloon flights? We arrive late on a Friday evening and depart at lunchtime the next Friday so are fairly limited with days/dates and would prefer to have some kind of "plan" in advance!

Can anyone help with prices for Hod Hod (Suliman) and Magic Horizon in comparison with each other and what you get? I really do want a T shirt that says I've been there and done it! :-)

Thanks!

3 Answers Aug 31, 2010 at 5:20 PM
    • Is the Luxor souk still there?

by corinnaharmon2 Online Now Jul 22, 2010 at 1:17 PM

I was in Luxor in October 2009 and much of area near the Luxor temple was razed. We could not find the souk. Has anyone seen the souk since Oct 2009? If so, where is it? Corinna

2 Answers Sep 22, 2010 at 11:08 PM
    • Holistic Travel

by reeve2000 Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 4:55 AM

We going to Egypt for our honeymoon, and we booked with holistic Travel.
      Any idea what is luxor like??

Thanks

5 Answers Aug 9, 2010 at 2:05 AM
    • bushman73's Profile Photo

Space observers

by bushman73 Online Now Jul 17, 2010 at 3:38 AM

Hi,we are travelling to luxor in september and are interested in the space observers trip that we have read good reviews about.
      Does anybody know if you can book the tour when we are there,or can you pre book over the web.
      Also does anybody know how much it costs.
      Thanks in advance for any advice
      Barry

2 Answers Jul 17, 2010 at 5:27 AM
    • roamer61's Profile Photo

Time in Luxor

by roamer61 Online Now Jul 16, 2010 at 7:17 AM

I read that many cruises rush you a bit if the itinerary calls for both sides of the Nile in 1 day. Is this true? If so, is it best to look for a crusie that breaks it up into 2 days or maube make seperate arrangements with a tour company?

11 Answers Jul 18, 2012 at 2:47 PM