Luxor Travel Answers

change location

Safe foods & upset tums

by georgie21 Online Now Jun 10, 2007 at 12:06 AM

I've been reading up on the Luxor Tips site www.luxortraveltips.com as suggested and read about the Movenpick food - is the ice cream safe to eat? has anyone stayed there are suffered from it or any of the other food, especially salads/fruit etc?
It was a good job I read about the medicines too, I had noted to buy Antinal and have just read that it's an antibiotic - I am allergic to antibiotics so I think I'll be taking my own anti-diarrhoea tabs from England with me.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Re: Safe foods & upset tums

by georgie21 Online Now Jun 10, 2007 at 3:54 AM

Good idea, I'll give my GP a call tomorrow.
    Thanks

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Heavens-Mirror's Profile Photo

Re: Safe foods & upset tums

by Heavens-Mirror Online Now Jun 10, 2007 at 9:30 AM

Hi there
    dont worry about anything because you will be fine. Ice cream in the movenpick hotels is the best ever so make sure you give it a sample.
    Also salads and fruit are normally freshly washed so it will be fine. The only thing i would avoid is ice in drinks, most hotels do have packed ice so its made from mineral water however if you go somewhere locally for a drink i would ask for the drink without ice.
    Also take your own diarhoeh pills if your allergic to anti biotics, i must admit the pills in egypt are very good but if you have an allergy then do take a named brand that you know.
    Have a great time.
    Stacey xxxx

• vdoortje's Profile Photo

by vdoortje Online Now Jun 11, 2007 at 6:36 AM

I am not sure what kind of anti-diarrhoea tabs you will take, but take it from my advice that Loperidol or Immodium will not work in Egypt!! I know that by experience.
    Tell the Egyptian chemist that you are allergic to antibiotics and go for his advice. Egyptian chemists are high educated and know exactly what will work with the local germs. I know that by experience as well!

Good, luck, Dora.

• schat's Profile Photo

by schat Online Now Jun 12, 2007 at 8:22 PM

I agree- the ice cream is fine. Before my first trip to Egypt I read (I think it was in Lonely Planet) that the water is actually safe to drink. It's heavily chlorinated. I was too paranoid to risk it on that trip, but since then I've been drinking water, eating salads, ice cream and ice with no problem. Have I had the ocassional upset tummies and diarrhea? Yes! The same I get ANYWHERE that I travel. (Isn't that why it's called travelers' diarrhea?) To me, that is a fairly predicatble result of travel; new diet, new schedule, different water, etc.. The precautions that make sense in Egypt are to avoid food that has been prepared and sitting for a long time (like in food stalls) food that has been cooked in very old oil,and meat that is not fully cooked. In other words, if you use even just a bit of common sense and judgement, you will have no more than the usual, mild discomforts. I hope you'll also try the freshly squeezed juices- heavenly! Enjoy Egypt- and the food is part of the fun!

• xbrjim's Profile Photo

by xbrjim Online Now Jun 14, 2007 at 6:49 AM

I've been to Luxor twice and I'm going back again this year. The first time I went with my girlfriend, the second with my son, this year I'm taking my daughters 11 and 13. I would think that the food is safe in all the hotels and the many many tourist type restaurants around Luxor. None of us have had any tummy bother and last year we went away from the tourist type establishments. We also bought food in local shops to take to an Egyptian friends house. Where drinks are made from the tap. I would still consider local remedies and use English ones as a last resort. All you have to do is pop into an internet café to get the info on any medication you are offered.
    Try Snobs luxortraveltips.com/eating/s... and try the duck a lorange.
    Nearby is the St Joseph Hotel. They have a well priced very tasty menu.
    Also the Metropolitan luxortraveltips.com/eating/m...
    This one is on the Corniche opposite the Luxor Temple. I hope I’m not being too forward by recommending that on your first foray into Luxor you should try the Luxor Temple, break yourself in gently and then after the mornings wonders. Sit looking at the river having lunch which; must include mango juice “assir manga”. Where you can just soak up the atmosphere and relax.
    And if you do. When you get there ask a staff member to introduce you to Capt: Tayib, he has a sail felucca the “Eva Stahl” and a motor one the “First Love”. He’s a real nice bloke and if you do a deal with him for sometime in your hols it will keep the other felucca touts off your back. You just have to tell them you are booked up and you don’t want another one. And if you tell him Jim sent you I might get some baksheesh the next time I see him.
    And El-Kababgy luxortraveltips.com/eating/e...
    I’ve had ice-cream from several places and it’s all delicious. Especially the manga.
    I don’t know if anyone has mentioned this so far, but always try to have plenty small notes 1s 5s and 10s in E.L. Toilets and baksheesh etc. Do take a dozen handy andy size packs of tissues.
    TTFN…Jim…

• Re: Safe foods & upset tums

by georgie21 Online Now Jun 14, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Thanks for all your tips. I'm SO excited! I take it you like your mango's Jim :o) thanks for your recommendations, I've been making a list of places people have suggested to visit and eat at etc. It's always very useful and helps to ensure we get to do things right rather than waste our one week opportunity. Thanks again guys.

• miriamkhalifa's Profile Photo

by miriamkhalifa Online Now Jun 19, 2007 at 8:51 AM

Very good tips Jim!! I think I have been lucky too - on my five times in Egypt I have never had an upset tummy - even I have been drinking the water and eating local food, from the street and from peoples homes. My norwegian partner got REALLY sick once: He had rabbit at the fashionable Old Winter Palace in Luxor :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines