Luxor Travel Answers

change location
lclaudio's Profile Photo

deir el medina

by lclaudio Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Hi again....finishing plans to egypt tour(less than two weeks, first of all i`d like to thanks all very helpful replies....second, i woul like to ask....once in west bank, to get places like DEIR EL MEDINA and it`s tombs(the main ones) how difficult it is? could you describe in detail...i will be there on a private tour, so, probabily, the guide will take us as close as possible, but i`ve heard that the walk is hard, so , in order to plan, could you please help me on that?

by the way, if this is not to loong, the same question for other spots like valley of kings......and others you think are the hardest to reach.......

thank you fellows see you soon

regards luiz

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • vdoortje's Profile Photo

Re: deir el medina

by vdoortje Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 6:28 AM

You say you have a car and driver at your proposal for an entire day. Deir el Medina is not hard to cover. It is the workers village. There are the remains of the houses where the workers on the tombs lived and some tombs of overseeers. Well worth a visit!!
    If I were you I would skip the Valley of Queens. Just 2 or 3 tombs opened there and after seeing the Valley of Kings they can only disappoint. The tomb of Nefertari is there but closed indefenitly. Only for a big bulk of money or when you are a VIP you will have a chance of entering that tomb.

When you have the time something nice to do is a camelride through Old Qurn. There is a man on the West Bank who has camels for rent and will take you through the streets of Old Qurn; a small village where time stood still. You can see how people live in the country, how mud bricks are made, how water is kept cool..... The trip through this village was my first camelride in Egypt and the best!!

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • vdoortje's Profile Photo

Re: deir el medina

by vdoortje Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 6:40 AM

You asked for the hardest places to get on the West Bank. I can't think of places that are hard to get. Or you must feel the urge to walk to Deir el Bahari (Hatshepsut Tempel) from the Valley of Kings across the mountain or the other way arround.
    The tomb of Tutmoses III in the Valley of Kings is a steep climb to reach, but if you are lucky enough that it is opened while you are there TAKE THE CHALLENGE!! It is well worth the climb!!

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines