Luxor Travel Answers

change location
lclaudio's Profile Photo

what to do.....

by lclaudio Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 12:55 PM

HI again......

Of course, Luxor has many temples, tombs etc to know, but, below, i'll describe which places a cruise-tour takes us, and, considering your experience, i'd like to ask you if, on these kind of tours, we have enough time to beat the places or it is in a hurry...and, if possible, could you describe in order of interest-preference-beauty(etc) wich places should i visit besides these below(i have one and half more day to explore luxor)?

Visit the West Bank, take an excursion to the royal cemetery for 62 Pharaohs, Valley of the Kings, then to mortuary Temple of Queen Hatshepsut, which was built by the architects of the New Kingdom Pharaoh Hatshepsut in the 15th century BC , at El-Deir El-Bahari & the Colossi of Memnon. o visit Karnak & Luxor temples at the East bank of the River Nile, Lunch on board

MANY THANKS REGARDS LUIZ

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

Re: what to do.....

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 1:36 PM

No question, #1 by a long shot is the Valley of the Kings. Personally, i don't think it's worth paying the extra of Tutankhamun's tomb.

I hiked over the escarpment from the Valley of the Kings to Hatshepsut temple. Maybe not for the faint of heart, but one of mypersonal highlights in Egypt.

Between the 2 temples, Karnak is much better than Luxor Temple.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: what to do.....

by exploremore Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 5:37 PM

lclaudio,

I'll be heading to Egypt towards the end of this year, so I'll be interested in how your trip is.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• vdoortje's Profile Photo

by vdoortje Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I made several cruises and on all sails we had enough time to visit all the highlights. Not to be missed is the Nubean Museum in Aswan. The broken Obelisk can be missed. Last time I was in Aswan (october 20110 it was very hot(40dC+). We went to the Botanical Gardens by felucca and paid the shipper 100 LE to take us sailing the entire afternoon. He was very happy and so were we.
    Aswan is famous for its souk with spices. Although it is not as pitoresk any more since they turned it into an indoor market.
    Have you looked at my personal travelpages? Lots of information about Egypt there.

• Poling's Profile Photo

by Poling Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 2:04 AM

A local tour for the West Bank covers most of the places you quoted.

• vdoortje's Profile Photo

by vdoortje Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 1:55 PM

When you visit the Valley of Kings you can visit 3 tombes on one ticket. Not the same tombes are oopened any specific time, so it is a bit of chance. Ask for the tomb of Thutmosis III or the tomb of Horemheb. These are the best as far as I am concerned. You can skip the Valley of Queens: the only tombe there worth a visit is closed indefenitly.
    The valley of Nobles, as mentioned above, on the other hand is well worth a visit.
    The workers village, Deir el Medina, is also worth your time.

• hawkeye64's Profile Photo

by hawkeye64 Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM

luly123 wrote:

I would suggest going to Medinat Habu Temple on the West Bank of Luxor also the tombs of the Nobles as they are stunning especally Sennefers tomb and Rekhmere a bit of a hike to booth places but well worth it. Also on the East Bank a little out side Luxor the temple of Tod little visited so you get the place virtually to yourself! it is in the middle of a village so you get to see the local way of life. PM me if you would like more info

Medinat Habu Temple is a must see if you can. It's not one of the main tourist destinations (although it should be) and so even in busier times, it relatively uncrowded.

2 members found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines