Luxembourg Travel Answers

change location

Where to hire a private tour for a quick 1 day in Lux

by DonnPjongluck Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 7:36 AM

I will be having a short quick layover in Luxembourg.
I am wondering if I can get a local guide to show me around on a private tour due to the time that I have.
Thanks and look forward to hearing from you.

Rgds
Donn

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Where to hire a private tour for a quick 1 day in Lux

by leics Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I can't help with guides but am assuming that you have one full day to explore?

Luxembourg City really is very small indeed, and extremely walkable. You would be hard-pressed to spend more than a few hours exploring its central historical area, the Haute (or Vielle) Ville and adjacent districts such as Grund. It would also be extremely difficult to get lost, as the Haute Ville is only a few hundred metres wide. English is widely spoken: Luxembourg is, in lots of ways, a very cosmopolitan city.

So perhaps it would be easy enough to explore without a guide? I certainly found it to be so.

Have a look at my Luxembourg pages to see if that idea seems feasible for you. I was there just a few weeks ago (hence the snow!):

"Quietly self-contained......" - Luxembourg by leics

If you are absolutely set on having a guide and no VT-er can recommend one, you might contact the Luxembourg City Tourist Office to ask for their list of recommended guides:

http://www.lcto.lu/en/p/3/contact

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • DueSer's Profile Photo

by DueSer Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I agree you don't really need a guide - it's a small city and very easy to find your way around and English is spoken by most people I met (as well as French and German, if you know either of those). The central tourism office is in a large square, easy to find, maybe 10 minutes by foot from the train station. If you're flying in, a taxi can get you to the central square quickly and fairly inexpensively. The central square, Place Guillaume, is right by the Notre Dame cathedral, which is right across from the cliffs overlooking the river - all very easy to find. I'm sure they could give you a walking tour route and maps for free rather than pay someone to guide you around personally. Besides, I thought half the fun of Luxembourg was just walking around those twisty little narrow streets getting lost;-)

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 9:23 AM

You'd have to be trying very hard indeed if you got lost in Luxembourg Haute Ville! :-)

If you are flying in, the excellent and very frequent airport bus will take you to city centre for just 2 euro. Look to the right as you exit Arrivals and just pay the driver.

"From the airport to Luxembourg city" - Ride the bus Tip by leics

(Hopefully you won't land in a blizzard like I did!).

I got off at Place du Gare...as noted, 10 mins walk (at the very most) from Haute Ville.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 9:24 AM

You don't need a guide really. I would advise you to visit the tourist information first, get yourself a city map. There are probably more than one tourist information points (probably one at the train station). But the one I know is described here:
    "Luxembourg Tourist Office" - Luxembourg Packing List Tip by ATLC

As you can read there, you can visit their excellent information website and order brochures in advance by post.

There's also two sightseeing options by bus: the Petrusse express and a topless bus:
    Luxembourg Transportation Tips by ATLC

Enjoy!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 9:30 AM

>Look to the *left* as you exit Arrivals and just pay the driver.

Aaaaargh!

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 10:16 AM

the city of luxembourg is small enough to walk all over it. If you have little time you can take the Petrusse express petit train or the hop on hop off bus
    lcto.lu/en/fid/1/66/92/petru...
    lcto.lu/en/fid/1/66/91/hopon...

hope it helps

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 12:05 PM

As usual, all these independant travellers here on VT are not ever keen on using local guides. Frankly, at least in 50% of the cases, a local guide will help enhance your experiece, - if he is a good one. But it really depends on your comfort zone. Some folks feel they can find anything of interest on their own (they really can't....), and some are quite happy with that independance. However if you would just as soon be shown all there is to see, without having to make effort required to do it solo, then by all means get a local guide.

So, I will give you two links to local guides in Lux. Have fun.......d:o)

localguiding.com/en/tours/lu...

luxembourgtours.net/?event=o...

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Horses for courses, Erik. The important point here is that in Luxembourg, as with many/most European destinations, a local guide is in no way essential or even necessary.

Your comment about 'having to make the effort to do it solo' is possibly much nearer the mark.

And some folks really can find anything of interest to them on their own, trust me. :-)

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I am sure the originalposter will figure it out base on their needs and interests. We just post opinions. Mine is solo is better or rather with company ;;)

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Yes J. I know, but as far as finding everything there is to see. On your own, no one can tell what they missed, so it is normal (and preferable) to think one saw it all.

Further, an experienced traveller will do solo far better than a novice. It is often better for a novice to get help so they can learn how to do it on their own. Contrary to popular believe, it is not a talent one is born with. Often a tourist simply does not want the uneasy feeling of "what am I missing?", and "I am afraid of getting lost/scammed/robbed/hurt/taken advantage of....".

All that said, yes Lux is a small place, fairly easily navigated, but the fact is that there are many many travellers that prefer having a local with them on their excursions. There would not be any group tour operators if that was not true.

Still further, the question was regarding how to find a local guide, - not whether one was needed or not.........d:o)

You know folks, as a tour manager/director/guide, I am always going to give that option because it is useful and relevant. It is every bit as valid an advise as the rest of the advise given.

• Re: Where to hire a private tour for a quick 1 day in Lux

by DonnPjongluck Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Dear All Gurus:

Thanking you very much for all the inputs and insights. Really appreciate it. You are all very helpful and knowledgeable.

Thank you.

Have a good weekds

From Bangkok, Thailand. Sunday Morning 10.30 am

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 7:01 AM

have a good time in luxembourg alone or with company ::)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Luxembourg Travel Answer Locations