Luxembourg Travel Answers

change location
PhillyJohn's Profile Photo

Rail travel via Luxembourg

by PhillyJohn Online Now Feb 3, 2008 at 4:43 PM

I plan a trip in the spring. I remember that I saw a special rail deal connecting Luxembourg, Trier, Saarbrucken & Metz. Is there such a pass? If so, how does it work. I plant to base in Trier a few days and it would be good to know.
In lieu of that what is the fare between Lux. and Trier and Lux. and Nancy or Metz? I could not find a Luxembourg rail site to get this info.
Thanks

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • lostsooner55's Profile Photo

Re: Rail travel via Luxembourg

by lostsooner55 Online Now Feb 3, 2008 at 7:50 PM

The rail site for Luxembourg: www.cfl.lu, does not currently translate to English. I don't understand why you are asking about their fares if you will be based in Trier. Gary

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lostsooner55's Profile Photo

by lostsooner55 Online Now Feb 3, 2008 at 8:19 PM

If you will be travelling from Trier to Luxembourg, Trier to Saarbrucken, Trier to Nancy, or Trier to Metz, try this site: http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de. This site does translate. Sometimes fares are available, sometimes they are not. Gary

• PhillyJohn's Profile Photo

by PhillyJohn Online Now Feb 4, 2008 at 5:01 AM

I plan to buy a Benelux/Germany railpass, but hoped to visit Nancy & Metz also. The various rail sites I visited did not give fares on international routes, but I did not try the German site for this particular route. Thanks for your help. I will try that.

• Venelin's Profile Photo

by Venelin Online Now Feb 5, 2008 at 9:08 AM

bahn.de/regional/view/saar/b...

You can try this, unfortunately there is no English version for the website. You might try to find a French version though.

It is called Saar-Lor-Lux Ticket and is valid in the province of Saarland, on the lines between Trier and the Lux, Fr and Saarland's borders respectively and in the whole country of Luxembourg, as well as the French region of Lorraine (I'm not sure whether Nancy is included, but Metz is).
    You can purchase it anywhere in Germany, as well as online. The DB site is not very clear about purchasing abroad, but it claims that it can be purchased from the train conductors.
    It is valid in 2nd class trains only. In Germany in regional trains only, in Luxembourg everywhere, on the lines Trier-Luxembourg and Saarburecken-Metz you can use the IC as well. In France you CANNOT use the ICE and TGV.
    It is valid 00:00 - 03:00 on the following day, but ONLY on Saturday and Sunday.
    Price: 20 euro single, 20 euro plus 10 euro per additional person.

I hope that this information will help you.

Enjoy you trip in this fantastic area.

• PhillyJohn's Profile Photo

by PhillyJohn Online Now Feb 5, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Thankyou very much.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines