Luton Travel Answers

change location
Nishk87's Profile Photo

Best Way to Get to Luton Airport

by Nishk87 Online Now Dec 7, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Hi VT-ers,

I've not been on here in absolutely ages, hope you're all well!

Can anyone help me with the question outlined in the title please? When I'm looking to book a train, it's asking me whether I'd like to go to the Luton Airport Parkway (and from there I presume I'd take a bus. How long is this bus journey?) or if I'd prefer to get a train straight to the airport. There is a price difference of about £10 between the two (the parkway being a cheaper option, even with the us fare on top) so I'm just wondering if there is any point in getting the more expensive option and getting a train that goes straight to the airport?

Thanks for all your help!
Nishk

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Best Way to Get to Luton Airport

by leics Online Now Dec 7, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Hello Nisha!

Yes, Luton Airport Parkway is the station you want. There is a regular bus shuttle to the airport, taking about 10 mins (assuming all is well) and running every 10 minutes or so from 0500 to midnight (connecting with trains).

Info on the airport website here:

london-luton.co.uk/en/conten...

There is no station at the airport itself, so there is no train to the airport. You have to take the bus. It costs 1.50GBP one-way.

There's no real point in booking the tickets online unless you can get a cheap advance fare by doing so. You can buy ordinary advance fares up to 6pm the night before travel: they don't sell out.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelfrosch's Profile Photo

by travelfrosch Online Now Dec 7, 2012 at 12:37 PM

No personal experience here, but from the Luton Airport website:

"A shuttle bus service operates to and from Luton Airport Parkway Station, this is normally a 10 minute trip from the airport terminal building. The service runs every ten minutes between 05:00 and midnight and also connects with all trains calling at Luton Airport Parkway overnight, please check train times for details.

Rail passengers will be able to purchase through tickets to London Luton Airport. Those passengers arriving at Luton Airport Parkway station without a through ticket to the Airport and who wish to use the shuttle bus will pay an Excess Charge of £1.50 each way if they arrive at the station by train."

london-luton.co.uk/en/conten...

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Dec 7, 2012 at 12:38 PM

The Nationalrail website gives you 'Luton Airport' as an option simply because you can opt to buy a ticket which includes the bus fare from Luton Airport Parkway, rather than pay it separately when you arrive at the station.

Not sure why you have found a fare difference of 10GBP though?

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

by travelfrosch Online Now Dec 7, 2012 at 12:38 PM

leics beat me by 2 minutes! LOL :)

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Dec 7, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Fast typist, plus iIuse Luton quite a lot. :-)

• johngayton's Profile Photo

by johngayton Online Now Dec 7, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Yes - I'm sure there's not that much difference in prices. Note that if you do get the option for an online "advance" ticket then this will only be valid on the specific train for which it is booked - miss that train and you have to pay for another ticket. The bus part of an "advance" ticket is not specific to any particular time tho'.

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Dec 7, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Nisha, you may consider getting the Easybus which will take you directly to the airport and if you book far enough ahead it may cost as little as "£2. The pick up point is Earls court and you can get any bus 1 hour either side of your scheduled booking time.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Dec 8, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Easybus will only work if Nisha is based in London, and I don't think she is.

• Nishk87's Profile Photo

by Nishk87 Online Now Dec 11, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Thank you very much for all of your answers and help. Unfortunately I am not based in London otherwise that Easybus would have been very handy!

I don't understand the difference in price either but it definitely was around a £10 in difference and I was really surprised by it.

Cheers everyone!

• johngayton's Profile Photo

by johngayton Online Now Dec 11, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Still can't see the £10 difference. Using www.nationalrail.co.uk - the difference from my local station to LUA as opposed to Parkway is only £1.50 e/w.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Dec 11, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Agree. Can't imagine why 10GBP appeared..must have been a glitch of some sort.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Luton